on Facebook

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Online Users: 358
3 members and 355 guests
Mathuzzz, vibok
Most users ever online was 2,542, 06-04-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Go Back Home > Forum Search Forums

View Single Post
Unread 11-17-2016, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Adam
Night Gaunt
USER INFO »
+/-  Reputation: Adam will become famous soon enoughAdam will become famous soon enough
Currently: Offline
Quake based DarkPlaces is, in my opinion, an awesome place to start game development.
If you have a design document and you want to try out some ideas, then it is a great engine to build proof of concept type projects.
There are some limitations to what it can do and how you go about it, but because of its age it also has a ton of documentation and a lot of people around who you can talk to and bounce ideas off of.

I produced the three projects listed in my sig using Quake and DarkPlaces, with coding from the wonderfully talented nahuel (for Hazard) and coding from the equally amazing PrimalLove (for Diver).

Pls feel free to download and mess around with them, the source is included.

I was supposed to move onto Unity with my next prototypes but I just can't let go.
So there are two more DP/Q projects in the pipeline before I will probably move on.

To be honest tho', if you aren't really in love with Quake (obviously you like it or you wouldn't be on here) and haven't made maps or done a bit of modding before, then you might want to start on a more modern engine, like Unity or UE4.