Handmade Quake Announcement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handmade Quake Announcement!

Here is a new project that I'm sure you quaking programmers out there will really get your meat hooks into! It's called Handmade Quake and the whole goal is to successfully rebuild Quake completely from scratch.

"But, we already have Quake! Why do we need to rebuild it?" Well, Philip Buuck, a Software Enginerr at Hi-Rez Studios and the man behind Handmade Quake had this to say about that on his blog:

The main goal for this project is to show you how full video games are actually built. As I was working towards my master’s degree in video game technology, I was surprised at the lack of high-quality materials, either in book form or online. Books tended to be light on info, usually teaching a language at the same time as discussing games, so they weren’t able to go into detail in either topic. Others talk exclusively about game development, but either provide no source code or basic demos that just don’t get into much depth at all, and are not intended to be played as games themselves. Basically – I want to learn about games, so show me a game!
    There you have it! Get your hands into the dirt of that Quake code and build it yourself to learn how games are actually built. For a bit more info, watch the "Welcome to Handmade Quake" video from Philip's channel below:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Je6mz7R6h4[/ame]

If you're interested in following along, check out this youtube playlist on Philip's youtube channel and subscribe. You can also read Philip's full blog announcement here .

Keep in mind there are other handmade projects as well. You can go to Handmadedev.org and read their manifesto and watch a video on what they're trying to accomplish with different handmade projects around the web.

Thanks to Q-Mark for the tip!

This looks pretty cool! I'll intend to have a look.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

awesome!

i will learn a lot with this!!
      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

wow.. maybe i finally learn the magic behind qc. looking forward to it.
        -
        jakub
        my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
        Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
        Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Read the HandMade manifesto: HandmadeDev | HMD

For anyone:

In your own words, please justify exactly how this "HandMade Quake" is a HandMade project at all? Provide an example.

This is QuakeOne.com, not Steam or Facebook. The misuse of "HandMade" should not be given a free pass by any respectable Quake player.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post

For anyone:

In your own words, please justify exactly how this "HandMade Quake" is a HandMade project at all? Provide an example.

This is QuakeOne.com, not Steam or Facebook. The misuse of "HandMade" should not be given a free pass by any respectable Quake player.
            hmm i went thru the manifesto as well, then went to his blog page. while it seems he's doing a worth while project, it does not seem to line up with the concept of "handmade". If anything, it looks like hes making something "out of a box"

Regardless, an interesting project, and on another note, i have not heard of handmade up until this point, very interesting stuff.
            My Avatars!
            Quake Leagues
            Quake 1.5!!!
            Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by Syluxguy28O3 View Post
              hmm i went thru the manifesto as well, then went to his blog page. while it seems he's doing a worth while project, it does not seem to line up with the concept of "handmade". If anything, it looks like hes making something "out of a box"

Regardless, an interesting project, and on another note, i have not heard of handmade up until this point, very interesting stuff.
              The project and the YouTube videos may be of some interest to people.

But yeah, there is nothing HandMade going on in this at all.

The concept of HandMade, as in Handmade Hero, is to write everything from scratch. "Handmade" Quake is basically a source code review where nothing new at all is being made.

Now that might have value to some people.

But has nothing to do with the concept "HandMade" at all.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Wellll it is a review/recapitulation of a "Handmade" game engine anyway. Still interesting for people who care about game-engine-from-scratch endeavors.

Comment

I'm going to release a handmade AIO Dell PC video, anyone interested? We'll be going over stuff like how to configure email, create bookmarks in our fav browser and how to change the desktop background... No?

I have to agree with Baker.

At first glance to me this sounded like something brand new which just looked like Quake 1 and shared nothing common but using the same methods id Software used to create the original Quake 1 quickly turned into "lets review code of already constructed code so you can make mods for Quake 1".

Interesting? yes.
                  Misleading? Most certain.

If it were an actual teaching of "FPS shooter like Quake" using C from IDE to EXE it would have absolutely caught my interest but it's now turned into something I may check up on from time to time to see if there's something a little more flexible. I still like Quake but playing Quake and modding for Quake 1 doesn't pay bills. Focusing on this type of material would only hurt what's important to focus on (for me).

This will probably be very beneficial to a lot of people here though, don't let my post discourage any newbie when it comes to learning programming. I'm also more of a web developer than a game developer but I have my hands in both sets. I'd just prefer to create something original if I'm going to put so much work and devotion into a project.
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

For anyone:

(player2 has joined the game,here comes a new challenger!)

Announcing Handmade Quake! | Philip Buuck

Originally posted by PhilipBuuck
                    From here on, I’ll get rid of the .c and .h files that are intended for other operating systems besides Windows, and then add the needed ones to a new Visual Studio project. Once we fix some compiler bugs and some linker errors, we’ll copy over the data from my Steam version of Quake (if you haven’t purchased it, it’s only $10, and often goes on sale, so you should buy it and support id Software). With the .exe we’ve built, and the data files from Quake, we’ll be able to run the game from our source code.

If you have any questions, I encourage you to sign up for my mailing list, where I’ll be answering frequently asked questions, going into more details about how I work with legacy code (and build systems from scratch), and you’ll have the ability to email me at any time – I read and respond to every email I get.
                    This isn't Facebook or Steam, show some tact, this is Quakeone.com ...

I've humored your @anyone request. Now humor mine!
                    We can go tit for tat, even if it does result in my claiming your arguing semantics where there is no need for it.

@Baker

Originally posted by Baker@06-01-2015, 10:08 PM
                    Cuz Quake is like Five Guys Pizza, except you are fortunate if there are even 5 guys.
                    None of you have The Force.
                    In 2 weeks, I'll show you The Force. You can write that down in your notebook.
                    And I promise you, you won't necessarily like it immediately.
                    It's gonna be tough love. And it will literally be Forced.
                    Since this isn't Facebook or Steam, prove to me anything about that quote wasn't just generic internet trolling? Things at Quakeone.com should be held to higher skepticism right?
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      Since this isn't Facebook or Steam, prove to me anything about that quote wasn't just generic internet trolling? Things at Quakeone.com should be held to higher skepticism right?
                      Mindzy, you forgot to quote the beer part in that post ...

Originally posted by Baker on June 1 2015
                      This message brought to you by the power of BEER.
                      I have the right to get shitfaced drunk and post stupid crap just like everyone else here does!

Comment

Handmade Quake will be a series of videos and blogs where I rebuild the original Quake from scratch, line by line, system by system. It is named Handmade Quake thanks to the inspiration of the Handmade Dev community, and following the spirit of their manifesto, we will be starting with a blank Visual Studio project, nothing pre-written at all, and file by file, will turn it into the source code that id Software released to the world in late 1999.
                        the actual series hasnt even started. if u look on his git page the actual handmade part is empty. all he has done so far is a little background history a d set up the compiler. he will be rewriting the engine from scratch he said.
                        though im not sure which api he will use or if it will be C or C++.
                        Last edited by R00k; 01-05-2016, 06:13 PM.
                        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

What caught my ear was the rebuild in plain C.I knew this was mentioned years ago but could not remember where I had heard this was a possibility.
                          Getting rid of the assembly was a target of mine when I was building the Linux version,but no one else I talked with remembered either.So far in the series there is still the use of one 3rd party lib so obviously it will not be a SCRATCH build,however I am still interested in ridding it of .asm
                          WARNING
                          May be too intense for some viewers.
                          Stress Relief Device
                          ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                          ---------------------------
                          .--------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
                            I am still interested in ridding it of .asm
                            Quakespasm doesn't have .asm, it is based on FitzQuake 0.85 which also didn't have .asm.

To get rid of .asm even in the original GLQuake you just do #define id386 0, actually.

Comment

Quakespasm doesn't have .asm, it is based on FitzQuake 0.85 which also didn't have .asm.

To get rid of .asm even in the original GLQuake you just do #define id386 0, actually.
                              I thought you had done it for fitz! Following that scratch build finally points out the comments from carmack about changing the define as he strips the source.
                              I had compiled the release you did for linux of that build when you released
                              Kurok or something but I could not get it to connect to servers online.
                              I think you released a similar source FuhQuake? Same thing bad net.
                              WARNING
                              May be too intense for some viewers.
                              Stress Relief Device
                              ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                              ---------------------------
                              .--------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X