No announcement yet.

Map Jam 8 - Film Noir Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay. Now having played the maps (though I haven't finished the Dark Future one yet), I have to say this pack was really engaging. The inclusion of the Arcane Dimensions enhancements helps to freshen things up tremendously, so I didn't get bored exploring pretty maps with tedious monster fights.

Spoilerish Part: I like the mix of movie genres. It really is like stepping into the screen (nice touch btw). This includes film noir with a raid of a prohibition-era speakeasy and underground moonshine operation, a classic horror movie, and some kind of Lovecraftian tale (set in a fairly epic landscape). It's actually pretty perfect to use a reworked Necropolics for the horror "film", since I was genuinely creeped out the first time I encountered the zombies there.

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
      Hey guys! So, the jam never showed up on Quaddicted because... no-one sent it to Spirit! I had a talk with Shamblernaut, who organized this jam, and I'm gonna take care of it. I'm repacking it with the latest AD patch. The repack will include NewHouse's update, the specific instructions for Darkplaces (see post #3) and will add track numbers to the maps that had none. I'd also like to include Seven's film grain & scratches shader. Lastly, it will include a jazzy/industrial main theme music made by Yours Truly. I think I'll be ready to send the repack to Spirit in about a week or so, as soon as I finish the theme. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry Gulliver, but no murder mystery adventure... Maybe you should make one?
      Thanks for the update.

Comment

excellent! love the look

Comment

Quick update

Some of you have noticed that the repack still hasn't landed on Quaddicted... Heh, I posted an update to the Func_ page but forgot to post one here.

So, one month ago I told you it would maybe take me a week to finish my theme music. Well, not. Real life got in the way. Sorry about that. I'm having much less free time than expected but I haven't forgotten my duties. As Blizzard would say, "when it's done"...
          ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
          ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
            Some of you have noticed that the repack still hasn't landed on Quaddicted... Heh, I posted an update to the Func_ page but forgot to post one here.

So, one month ago I told you it would maybe take me a week to finish my theme music. Well, not. Real life got in the way. Sorry about that. I'm having much less free time than expected but I haven't forgotten my duties. As Blizzard would say, "when it's done"...
            Real Life always has a way of intruding, doesn't it...

Comment

In case anyone missed it:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdvGPJ7qRCY[/ame]

Hey guys, you have to get this pack up on Quaddicted! Don't forget!

Comment

Another nice video ArrrCee!

Just a heads up if you didn't know: regarding the skill selection, the hallways have a trigger that you run through (when the message appears on the screen, you have just contacted the trigger) at which point it will adjust the 'skill' cvar to whatever skill the trigger is set for. 0=easy, 1=normal, 2= hard, 3=nightmare. Whatever trigger you most recently touched will be the skill setting you're currently on.

You can also set this cvar yourself at any time (type 'skill 2' for hard mode, for example), but if you do, it's best to restart the level (if it's not a start map) because ammo and monsters that are affected by skill will not update in the middle of gameplay.
                'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                  Another nice video ArrrCee!

Just a heads up if you didn't know: regarding the skill selection, the hallways have a trigger that you run through (when the message appears on the screen, you have just contacted the trigger) at which point it will adjust the 'skill' cvar to whatever skill the trigger is set for. 0=easy, 1=normal, 2= hard, 3=nightmare. Whatever trigger you most recently touched will be the skill setting you're currently on.

You can also set this cvar yourself at any time (type 'skill 2' for hard mode, for example), but if you do, it's best to restart the level (if it's not a start map) because ammo and monsters that are affected by skill will not update in the middle of gameplay.
                  Thanks for the heads up Dutch, the going in and out and back through another door always made me wonder on start maps like this. In the original start map, it's very evident as to what difficulty you're picking, even when you change your mind and go back through the teleporter. You know which is activated.

Comment

You bet. Personally I hate the skill select hallways, even in original quake. I'm a huge fan of the button select feature, as seen in the arcane dimensions start map. There's no mistaking what you've chosen, and you can't pick one on accident.
                    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Agreed! I really like the way AD did it as well. No confusion!

Comment

Working...
                      X