Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening a position for Editor

Hi

Should quakeone.com open a position for "Editor" so we can have many candidates in charge of "top news" (front page)?

Should they receive some contribution ($)?

Should we vote for the #1 Editor and have others be assistant (journalist) or into a kind of rotation (they have their "month")?

Please don't let Mindz alone with all the responsibilities... P9 isn't around anymore and Baker is long gone by now.
    No... we are fine!
    40.00%
    Yes... very necessary!
    40.00%
    What for again?
    13.33%
    I'm in ;)
    6.67%
    Last edited by Mom; 05-11-2014, 04:32 AM.

Is there really that much late breaking Quake news? I was under the impression that Mindz doesn't write anything cause, well, there isn't anything to write. Also, everyone here is already a voluntary editor. Just make a post, :Shaaam: you are an editor.

Comment

I agree with gypsy about how everyone in their own right is kind of an editor here, but it would be nice to have at least a couple news posts a month to make the site not look initially dead when you first come here.

Plus, even if you don't have news, just doing a quick 2 paragraph write up about a lesser known mod or something that a lot of players haven't heard of before would be news in some way.

Comment

Plus, even if you don't have news, just doing a quick 2 paragraph write up about a lesser known mod or something that a lot of players haven't heard of before would be news in some way.
        Anyone can do this, and if it's good it could easily be linked to the front page. Actually this site didn't "need" editors for a long time. Between Seven(SMC/tuts/mods), GoldenBoy(mapping/modding) and many of my Quake related threads this site had a storm of content. The problem was, nobody was making any of it front page news.

Maybe this site doesn't need an editor so much as it needs someone to make more things accessible from the front page. Maybe even the 'rules' of front page news could be more lenient. By observation, the front page only holds "big deals". Maybe some "littler deals" should be allowed to make the cut. I have no examples, just know they exist.

Comment

Finding a news writer who has

-interest in the news subject.
          -knowledge in the news subject.
          -time invested in the news item to deliver relevant information and an opinion about the news subject.

Unfortunately im a Multi Player Quaker, my passion revolves around player vs player competition. Human challengers to smash into peices or force myself to do better.

Every drop of what goes on here is single player / mods around single player / single player this / single player that. I find about .9% interest in that.

the very moment a multiplayer experience arrives,I try it. Case in point, Dodgeball mod !

Me and the wife wasted hours on it messing around with 'What was supplied' , it was multiplayer, it was fresh, it was nice.

r00k made Freezetag, but unfortunately the servers we have are either unaware of the existance or are unwilling (cough RAGE/Visine) to update the mod.

Meh, the larger problem is getting something going larger than everyones opinion of whats 'Quake1' is. Going by opinion alone in a committee style setting will just result in 20 solo projects trying to be slapped together to form some FrankenMod / Franken Engine (Cough Epsilon)

This place has become a place for showing off your neat bad ass uber creation that only benifit is usually to tickle your fancy,cuz your doing it obviously, and I'll be nice and say 10 to 20 people maximum.

Find someone who enjoys that creative content for singleplayer,and laps up every iota of the creators posting stuff for consumption.

Give that person the job of giving you news about what is unfortunately a bunch of mini-projects with no larger picture and a small target crowd....

I'll always consider SP the minority even tho its possible the SP community now vastly outnumbers the MP community.

<3 Q1 Last bit was my own aggravation about Q1 not reaching a pinnacle update of some sort,that draws back in players.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I would probably be a lot more interested in multiplayer if 95% of it wasn't TDM with DM3 on constant repeat and a pack of dbag peac0ck players.

Comment

No offense to my friend Mindzx but WTF does that sh!t game * need to be on the frontpage?!

We dont need to have an Editor in chief.. this is a forum not a magazine.

should we re-tweak the front page?

news posts were sooooo 1996..... ie "blue's news"

i vote for the front page:

+ how to install quake, (via steam)
              + where to play
              + a link to the forums for help (or drama)

done.
              Last edited by R00k; 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM.
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                No offense to my friend Mindzx but WTF does that sh!t game * need to be on the frontpage?!

We dont need to have an Editor in chief.. this is a forum not a magazine.

should we re-tweak the front page?

news posts were sooooo 1996..... ie "blue's news"

i vote for the front page:

+ how to install quake, (via steam)
                + where to play
                + a link to the forums for help (or drama)

done.
                and more servers....
                I can toss a few up if need be, but it seems like all the ones up anymore i ping like shit too, including what I ping to my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowswift View Post
                  I would probably be a lot more interested in multiplayer if 95% of it wasn't TDM with DM3 on constant repeat and a pack of dbag peac0ck players.

lol..... you have no idea. I could show you logs, from this year/month/week. how new and fresh do you want the shit talking drama? Piping hot is served up in 2014 still, I promise you.

Originally posted by R00k View Post

I got tired of seeing Happy new Year / Merry Xmas present news ,3+ months into fucking 2014 lol. I'm betting a larger portion also enjoyed seeing just about anything grace the front page and instill a short lived 'Ooh, Aah' .

Wanna know the real kick in the teeth? Quake1 is the game that should be gracing Quakeone.com for free, but alas.....
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I saw the front page. I'm sure it was recentish cause I knew about the free game post, but it's rare that ever end up on the front page.

If I come here from a "cold start" it's always from quakeone.com/search?do=getnew
                    If I come here from a search result it is never a link to the front page

I can't be the only person here that finds the front page entirely useless.

Comment

Interview with Rampage
                      The new models provided by _______ , im still using the updated player model design in multiplayer.

The idea of provoking something for the bettering of the quakeone front page.

Comment

I was interested in getting a server UPDATED and i emailed r00k to help Crash-RUM do the update so we could have a nice server in Atlanta, GA. r00k has either 1.) not yet seen my email to him, or 2.) who knows? Crash-RUM is willing to update all of his server's with the latest configuration's only if someone send's him the files needed to update them (hint: CARENA.CLAN-RUM.ORG:26000). Hey mindz are you with me on this? r00k do you want to help update that server so we have a good place to play again. Rage is great but not updated. Waiting....

Comment

If I was 100% sure I had the latest version I would send Crash the email this morning !

Comment

@Rook not answering - he just does that. I don't think it's personal. Ive sent a PM or 2 that never got a response, and as far as I know R00k and I are on good terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                              If I was 100% sure I had the latest version I would send Crash the email this morning !
                              would be nice to know if you did. I'm seriously ready to play. I think even syluxman and amebix was wanting to see the server back in atlanta.

Comment

Working...
                              X