Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETTiNGRiNDER
    replied
    Any of the above can be good, but small maps can be a bit unsatisfying unless it's a set of multiple maps, and I prefer they not be so large/long that it seems necessary to save midway.

Leave a comment:

• Noodle-Shop
    replied
    Normally for me it depends on the game type but I do prefer larger maps c:

Leave a comment:

• RL Clown
    replied
    I prefer the large maps... Why? I enjoy exploration... In my opinion, a game without exploration is kinda like ice cream without the cream.

Leave a comment:

• ninjamonkeyz
    replied
    I picked medium, I was thinking more for multiplayer maps, but for a single player map or a coop server map then definitely large.

Leave a comment:

• talisa
    replied
    of course in the end, its not about the size of the map but the theme and the atmosphere of the map
    like i personally really like big maps with a lot of exploration, but my fave theme in maps is medieval and i love temples.

which is why i also love the RPG map-set, which mostly consists of small maps but with fun gameplay and a nice atmosphere

(yes, thats pretty much the entire map you see in this one pic)

Leave a comment:

• Shambler234
    replied
    Mp.

Leave a comment:

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    Oh, just noticed we're gabbing on about singleplayer.

/exit to quake server right

Leave a comment:

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    Originally posted by talisa View Post
    huge ones
    So you like em big huh? IF WE CAN'T FIT 16 MAFAKKAS IN THERE AT ONCE,WE GONNA BREAK IT.

Leave a comment:

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    IF IT DOESN'T SUPPORT 8V8 TEAMGAMEPLAY , MOSTLY IRRELEVANT TO ME.
    Considering I enjoy the interaction of PvP/Team orienteted gaming,and not playing with myself heavily over and over.

So, are you talking MP or SP.................
    ?

Leave a comment:

• Dutch
    replied
    Obviously everyone's all over the board. A good balance would probly be an episode containing all, each with its own combat dynamic. A small map, for instance, would be dark and terrifying, with low ammo and health and shocking monster encounters. This usually makes the map seem longer than it really is. The next map could 've more open and more combat oriented.

Leave a comment:

• talisa
    replied
    huge ones

Leave a comment:

• Dutch
    replied
    I voted medium, but with an exception: if a large map is linear, open, and action packed, then that would be my favorite. Not a labyrinth of tight hallways and what not, I get lost too easy.

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Hello Shambler234,

hmmm, most people have different understandings of small / medium / large, like my wife for example

When you say that original Quake maps are small, then I like the medium ones the most. Like it already has been mentioned, large maps can tend to make you lose orientation/focus/goals.

Of course, there are always the map-types that lead you like a tunnel from beginning to end. These kind of maps (where you do not have to re-visit areas a couple of times) can be as large as possible, because you cannot get lost.
    But the ones that needs to re-visit several places, need some orientation marks.
    Just like maps from sock and others have ! They add signs and stuff into it to make it clearer.

Quake (speaking from original game idea) is a faced paced shooter game with narrow passages and linear playthrough most of the time.
    Expending this idea (and make it open-world like) has some risks and to avoid that you need a smart traveling system while mapping (some signs or hints or a cinematic clip when pushing a button that shows you what just happened and where).

Looking forward to see your maps

Best wishes.

PS: I was talking about Single player of course. Multiplayer maps are always cube like.

Leave a comment:

• OMacKnight
    replied
    generally speaking for multi player shooters in general, I like big open maps with lots of smaller areas dotted about

like most quake 3/live maps

Leave a comment:

• ArrrCee
    replied
    If I had to pick for single player I'd probably say medium. In large maps, I sometimes lose my bearing of where I am and where I had to go. Small maps are over to soon. For multiplayer, I would probably pick medium as well.

A lot of the newer custom single player maps are pretty amazing and well thought out but they're also gigantic, and I lose my direction.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X