Favorite Quake Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Quake Engine

What is your favorite Quake engine? And why?
    DarkPlaces
    17.39%
    EZQuake/FuhQuake
    4.35%
    FitzQuake
    8.70%
    JoeQuake
    13.04%
    QRack
    34.78%
    ProQuake
    21.74%
    Original Quake
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Qrack obviously rules

Why? Cause it makes quake looks great but still runs on most computers, and, it's made not only for online play, but by a active player (R00k) so he knows what the game needs. It has a lot of great bells and whistles, like decals, poly outlining, caustics, new player skins, auto demo recording, "mapname" skyboxes, lg bolt glow, and all the proquake features like iplog and scoreboard pings, and proquake fixes. Oh yes, and R00k adds a lot of features at players requests
    uakene.com

Comment

I gota agree w/ Yellow.

Qrack actually got me back on the Q-1 wagon. I came here and saw a Qrack screenshot in the random image box and it made me go 'what is that?' with all the extra effects it made me think someone was actually reprogramming an entire quake clone from the ground up.

..I want to have R00K's babies.

Comment

darkplaces because it's everything and not nothing

Comment

QRack for me. I used the glQuake exe until I found QRack. I tried most of the other engines at one point but didn't really like them at all. Perhaps it's because R00k helped me configure QRack "properly" for my system setup but I just like QRack the best.

Comment

ProQuake, I like its simplicity. I just like to play cut-and-dry Quake. None of the other graphical quake clients have the cheat-free feature either. =(

Comment

SonsQuake! Because it's light on its' feet!
              Chuck

Comment

I started with winquake back in the day then moved on the proquake when it came out. proquake was used by almost everyone during the day and it was very reliable.

Then after a long break I went back to the quake1 scene trying out Joequake and Qrack plus many other engines. Joequake was great because of how the defaults are how I like it. I also customized EVERYTHING to make quake1 look like quake4. Qrack died on me after 3 levels so I never touched it again. Then Joequake came out with a new version with this annoying bug with the scoreboard.

So now I'm going back to my roots with proquake. Quake was never ment to have astounding graphics anyways, it's all about the sounds.

My vote's on PQ

Comment

i would have loved to vote for fte

Comment

Hello.. I am new here.
                    I like Qrack because of the cell shaders, reflections, lava-smoke, over-bright effects.....
                    I hope for an OGG sound-track support.

Comment

EZQuake wins hands down

- no command line required
                      - vidmode switch on the fly
                      - hud editor powered by drag and drop™
                      - rich menus with tips for a gazillion of settings
                      - QuakeTV support
                      - skins/demos browser
                      - 24bits skins support
                      etc. etc.
                      one quake to rule them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquashark View Post
                        - no command line required
                        For a new player maybe.

- vidmode switch on the fly
                        Very nice.

- hud editor powered by drag and drop™
                        For people who like to tinker with things but never connect to a server

- 24bits skins support
                        Nice.

- QuakeTV support
                        Nice.

gazillion of settings
                        ^^ Achilles heal. This is the main flaw of "new engine-itis".

There should not be a gazillion settings (to mess up). Quake 3 does not have a gazillion settings and I bet most games don't.

Less settings > More settings
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I'll admit EZQuake has gotten alot better since qqska joined in, and has grown up alot in the last 2 years. Simple things like stencil shadows could be added, decals, particle scripts, netquake (.qc) support, etc.. version 1.80 is very smooth. One thing i disliked abou QuakeWorld was the fact that my opponents seemed to skip around based on THEIR ping vs how smoothly players move(albiet slow) in netquake. This has become less obvious in the current version, or is it my /rate setting? Though I'm still not happy with the fact that i dont see half the rockets in flight in QW, it's like, btw, 2 frames ago while the message latency was sending , the server predicted that when the opponent pressed fire, we calculated based on your momentum that you were a goner so, your dead now.. but i guess thats qw q2/q3/q4/hl2/warsow etc doesnt feel like this. Maybe, there could be a better automatic configuration mechanism based on network settings?

I cant vote this poll simply because I'd have to vote for Quake itself, since all these engines are a basis of the id source

But if I were to vote on technical advancements of an engine (currently in development) would rank:
                          DarkPlaces
                          FTE
                          EZQuake
                          VR2
                          Qrack
                          uPQ3.7
                          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

That qqska is a machine. What a coder.

2 frames ago while the message latency was sending , the server predicted that when the opponent pressed fire, we calculated based on your momentum that you were a goner so, your dead now..
                            This is the #1 thing I don't like about Quakeworld. In NetQuake, I always get to see the rocket and always have at least a chance to avoid it.

In Quakeworld, at mid-range the RL might as well be a no-dodge insta-kill weapon.

I'm glad to see that the ezquake team is thinking of ease of use more than in the past. I think it improves the engine.

Comment

this poll was rigged or something. we all know everyone still uses proquake, and it didnt even win? pish

Comment

Working...
                              X