Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring back original Quakeone til a polished version of the current site is available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, this is a little disturbing. I just found this site and feel like i came to the end of the party. Still hope that some people wake up again and start to dance or drink. A little.

Cosmic background noise can be very calming
    I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
    My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

Yeah, stick around if you can. There's still a lot of quake stuff going on, just not here.

Seriously, a proper logo (nothing wrong with the old one), a background image (maybe even a familiar quake texture?) and a color change would turn this shit 178 degrees around. The other 2 degrees will come when people start posting their projects when they see this site taking itself seriously. This could be done in less than an hour. If I could, I would straight up do it by myself, no one else need be involved.
      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Ja, this site needs a little love. Either it's some serious RL problem in the admins life or desinterest :-( Uhm... let's hope for desinterest.
        I tend to stick around. I ike this site, despite the problem it has.

There's still a lot of quake stuff going on, just not here.
        Where might that be, if i may ask?

Comment

"Where might that be, if i may ask?"
          Probably not on GameBanana, at least not yet. I posted my tutorial and my FGD there, a month or two ago, but I doubt that each crossed 300 views by now (I'll have to check). Still, it's an okay place to be if you can get used to the site navigation.

I haven't seen much Quake content on GB, but I'll try to contribute.

Comment

func_msgboard is the realm of Quake mappers. A lot of really cool shit comes out of there, like all these Map Jams you may have seen. Big time modders like Sock and his crew hang out there, as well as engine coders like Baker and Spike. A lot of community testing is put forth for Quake projects. I will probably spend more time there in the future.

If you head over there, be a little cautious: there are some rough personalities.

Comment

I also kinda feel like this is the end of some party, especially with the current design of the page. What's wrong with throwing in some custom.css file and style it in a slightly darker way? This is literally a 30min operation with an additional 30m (give or take) for tweaking and what not. Maybe a 'background-image: url("seamless_quake_walls_texture_or_whatever.jpeg ");' applied to the body instead of the current 'background: #E3E3E3 url("http://quakeone.com/images/css/bckg_page.png")' which is super not nice.

The palette itself could also be changed to match 4 or 5 colors from Quake's palette so that footer-tabbar, channel-tabbar and the rest of buttons and colored things are actually colored with Quake colors.

I could try some customization based on the current scheme, take a few screenshots and post them here if there's such need. Anything (including deadbody removal!) for a community that has already helped me so much (also because browsing QuakeOne in its current state at night is like throwing salt and lemon to my eyes).

Comment

Well, that's an offer! But ultimately ist's the lack of Users.

Comment

But even if there aren't that many of us any more, it's good to at least make it better for the ones who are still here.

Comment

In my mind, now is the time to ramp it up. A new Quake game is about to come out. The newer generation of gamers will undoubtedly be looking at Quake's history. Eventually they will look at Quake 1. This site is one of the first hits in a google search for Quake1. The more creative and classy gamers will likely have an interest in what Quake1 has to offer (mods, maps, and any number of things that fans have been making over the last 21 years).

Now is the time. This site needs to be on its A-game. There's an opportunity to bring more Quakers into the fold and keep this game going.

Comment

"what Quake1 has to offer (mods, maps, and any number of things that fans have been making over the last 21 years)."
                      Without a doubt more than the new Quake will ever have to offer.
                      It sure will be fun and such.

And you are right, it could be an opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
                        Without a doubt more than the new Quake will ever have to offer
                        That's for sure and for certain. I was hoping I would get excited about Champions but it hasn't happened yet.

Comment

The non-posting of the quake-map jams upfront and in your face will cause much less downloading of them. Which is a shame. No one even knows about map jam 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                            In my mind, now is the time to ramp it up. A new Quake game is about to come out. The newer generation of gamers will undoubtedly be looking at Quake's history. Eventually they will look at Quake 1. This site is one of the first hits in a google search for Quake1. The more creative and classy gamers will likely have an interest in what Quake1 has to offer (mods, maps, and any number of things that fans have been making over the last 21 years).

Now is the time. This site needs to be on its A-game. There's an opportunity to bring more Quakers into the fold and keep this game going.
                            You know, Dutch, I have a quake1 compatible game offering. It has every weapon you could want, plus a foliage system, monsters, etc etc etc.
                            Medeval weapons, spell casting, WWI weapons, modern weapons, future weapons.
                            City Generation (with interiors). RTS style buildable buildings (with interiors).
                            Even torture.

I've also added things you might see in modern games such as pipes emitting flame jets or steam or water or ice or poison when shot.
                            (You can set this on any entity)

You can set what "sets" of weapons to spawn around the maps, or to start with, etc.

Yet you call it "lame", never having taken it for a spin.

Lets stop pretending that you have any stake in anything or any will to work on anything that could "help" quake.
                            You're a useless eater (aka an american).

You don't even like cute young girls.

A "lame" person like me with my "lame mod" does more for Quake then you ever have or ever will, Dutch.
                            And I'm just one "lame" guy.

At-least I know beauty when I see it, instead of making sure no man on earth can have it, like you, big hover-round guy.

Comment

Why are you attacking Dutch, and doubly why are you attacking him as an attachment to your mod description? Every time you bring up your mod it's with some totally unrelated and negatively viewed thing attached to it. You can bash America all you like and it won't change that whatever you are is your own worst promotion. Your own people probably view you as a stigma. Nobody here BUT YOU is trying to create nationality division on this site. You are the antithesis of the diversity this site maintains and a cancer to the community. You remind me of Sza and he is eterno-banned. Keep it up, bro. You'll be the only person in the world that knows anything about what you claim to have accomplished...Ala you will have accomplished the most massive nothing at all. All your work will be a testament to what a big idiot you are.

I want you to consider that I was your FIRST and ONLY follower. Nobody paid any fucking attention to you til I started to. Now, no matter what you do I can't stand you and I wouldn't use your shit if YOU PAID ME. Do you get that YOU made me feel this way about you? Get a clue, man you have destroyed your rep and all your work is virtually ignored. :pats you on the back: Good job, Dumbfuck.

If I had accomplished as much as you claim to and appear to I would have made one thread and got somebody less fuckin crazy than me to write all the posts...You would be famous at this point. You mixed business with ideals and now you are probably on ignore for the grand majority of people here. You are fighting and demeaning the last few people that will even acknowledge your existence and even that acknowledgement will cease. You will ban yourself due to a mass ignore. You'll claim you don't care and add 50 more weapons that not one single person will know about. Quakeone will become the equivalent of notepad.exe for you.

However, I will never ignore you. I will always be here to explain how you are functionally retarded, all the way up to the day where you finally listen and handle your mod like a growing business, instead of a telephone pole with a bunch of offensive stickers and fliers tacked to it.

"Check out my mod. Oh and it's bullshit I can't rape kids."

Do you get it yet? In some warped way I am the best friend you have ever had. I'm the ONLY person trying to make you realize you are functionally retarded AND showing you why so you can fucking stop.
                              Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-12-2017, 02:38 PM.
                              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                                you will have accomplished the most massive nothing at all.
                                The duality there is poetic, and surely desired.

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                                You'll claim you don't care and add 50 more weapons that not one single person will know about.
                                I have a map, called darkhold, one of my many maps. It is sheathed in blackness (with but a few torches to light the way here and there), but has the most extensive and most beautiful architecture in the whole game. Which no one will likely ever see, never having ventured far enough. It is the largest map in the game and most intricate. Also at every map load it is connected together totally differently: never the same game twice..

I am somewhat reminded of the doctrine of double denial. How it takes a lifetime of work to achieve nothing.
                                The greatest works are by anonymous.

Comment

Working...
                                X