Live chatbox on quakeone.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rev View Post
    as in, a chat client you can enter on this web-site, but is connected to all of irc and has all the same features or more like a dumbed down version where you can only enter the one channel they have hosted on the website? that's interesting though.
    GameSurge >> Chat

or irc based see there and just /nick yourname
    /join #quake1 | #quakeone

...etc.

Yeah, the moderation i can see being frustrating.

But, it was just an idea that was clugging in the back of my mind beats having to find a web irc client and join the channels then talk to ppls on there. Overall, i'm just excessively lazy.

Shrugs.

Comment

Another "drama"alternative is to join #terrafusion on quakenet.... though...
      What Does Not Kill You, Makes You Stronger

Comment

Could use it right now to get someone to play...
        SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
        [email protected]
        AIM - EMHof1

Comment

I don't think so... though... if you do not try it, you'll never know
          What Does Not Kill You, Makes You Stronger

Comment

Originally posted by EFESS View Post
            I think its a cool idea. As for the moderation, all you need is chat rules:

*you can't post more than once a second
            *you can ignore people in the chat
            *you can ignore the chat altogether

imagechan.com has a decent live chat, as an example
            And anything that has an ongoing existence has a maintenance cost, usually it costs someone's time.

Comment

well most websites have them ... its pretty much just to say keep up the good work or for drunk people to say fuck the world! n shit etc... But all in all i think its a good idea hell whats the worst that could happen? -mafia-

Comment

True Quake players only chat on Quake servers!
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

It's a great idea. And yes, you DO suck at thought.
                  Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                    It's a great idea. And yes, you DO suck at thought.
                    ^ Chuck sighting
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Would it be entertaining to have a (i.e.: members only) window into the quake servers? So you can observe matches via website and chat with people in play? Or observers chat-only and players arn't disturbed?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterSplinter View Post
                        Would it be entertaining to have a (i.e.: members only) window into the quake servers? So you can observe matches via website and chat with people in play? Or observers chat-only and players arn't disturbed?
                        Explain how to do that and I'd possibly add it to the site.

Re: live chat box and irc chat.. I've been away from the site for awhile due to real life ... in fact I haven't even played an online game since the end of August :-(

I will take a look at adding a live chat and irc chat somewhere on the site this week (possibly tonight).

A note about live chat and moderating though... as Baker said he and I don't have the time to moderate that. The reason moderation is needed is if we get tons of messages of people bitching at each other using vulgar language, it's a turn-off to people who may be wanting to join the community here. It would need to be moderated in that aspect (IMO). Thus if I were to add this, I would add it under the understanding that if it goes to hell, I will simply remove it. Cool?

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                          Explain how to do that and I'd possibly add it to the site.
                          Having the ability to chat with players in-game on a server via a website isn't really a reasonable possibility. Qsmack has some way of allowing communication via a non-Quake client that connects, but making something like that to interface with a web site would be difficult.

Neither, unfortunately, is being able to watch a game on a web site (although that would be great).

Maybe someday in the distant future, the idea of having the server somehow take screenshots once a minute from a random player's point of view (yet the server is running as a console so nothing to take a screenshot of).

Still, maybe it could write a savegame file once a minute and some other mechanism. [I can think of a VERY ugly way to do, hahaha].

Comment

FTE QTV had a firefox plugin for playing quake and watching demos...i'd say thats a huge start.
                            Also i really liked the plugin, except it doesnt seem to be updated for the most recent firefox: (
                            Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

Working...
                            X