Quake1 from now 5 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake1 from now 5 years

Do you see yourself active in the Q1 arena 5 years from now?

Easily, I see continuing the tradition of Grapes.
    Yes, Quake never dies. (DieHard Quaker)
    88.89%
    No, I have my own reasons (RageQuit explained)
    11.11%
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Had to tear down the frontpage's Mondello Poll. New Buisness !
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

i will probably always play it at some point in time. online or offline, as long as the pc's continue to allow us to run the older games. I have several newer games and cannot get into them at all.. i've played them a few hours a piece and poof. be gone. Skyrim, Quake 4 (just got 3 weeks ago it sucks ass), MW3, sucks, and got border lands, which also sucks. skyrim is not bad but not my type of game either. waste of money.

Comment

I will be. After 15 years why stop now? It's ruined my life more times than I can count. I've learned to accept it. I will keep playing.

One day I will make it where the game tracks stats. That's my end goal.

Comment

Im always interested in my servers recording stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
            I will be. After 15 years why stop now? It's ruined my life more times than I can count. I've learned to accept it. I will keep playing.

One day I will make it where the game tracks stats. That's my end goal.
            Yeah to bad I'll be missing out on on a cool 11,000 frags I've mentally accumulated since 1996.
            QuakeOne.com
            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

11,000 thats it? Damn i think i had more then that in 1 year.. when i was a teenager i played nearly 15 hours per day 4-5 days a week, i know i put in over 11,000 frags in a year.

Comment

I believe that I have 17 frags (maybe 1. In 5 years I'll be playing something I made from Quake.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                  I believe that I have 17 frags (maybe 1. In 5 years I'll be playing something I made from Quake.
                  Gotta get those frwg counts up brah.. Lets do it!

Comment

i had this funny image in my head. in 30 yrs all the middle aged people here will be old. white hair,canes, and depends all the while still playing quake.hehe
                    Attached Files
                    My Avatars!
                    Quake Leagues
                    Quake 1.5!!!
                    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Monday, 9:53am... ain't got no job might as well pop a 40oz spark a blunt and grind some wild boars outside of the den in WoW with the DukeNukem3D Sound board blaring in the background.

I'VE GOT BALLS OF STEEL!
                      Last edited by Phenom; 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM.
                      QuakeOne.com
                      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Gotta get those frwg counts up brah.. Lets do it!
                        I hate quake online gameplay. Its just a bunch of people jumpin around like rabbits that have mastered firing in such a state. To me, that makes the game utter garbage. Not to mention those spawn killers that get like 20 frags on me before I can even "fully spawn". More garbage. I honestly have no idea why you guys love this game so much (online). Maybe after a lot of practice you can master being the bunny rabbit spawn killer or somethin' and that eventually makes it fun?

This is just my opinion based on what I have experienced online. Jumping everywhere to get a nominal speed increase and become a harder target is just freakin annoying. Spawn killing me for 5 minutes straight when I already suck is even more annoying. 2 full days of barely being able to even play = F this game.
                        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

don't try quakeworld then.
                          Some Game Thing

Comment

MG you hate online play, i hate offline play. We are even. I think offline play is for the birds. I enjoy offline play with frogbots and that's about as far as it goes. Playing monster's suck period. Coop sucks too.

Comment

Quake is a mufti-faceted game. There is no single right way to enjoy it.

When I first heard of "single player Quake" (meaning new single player releases) I had a reaction not so dissimilar to yours, Wicked Lord. Keep in mind that the larger Quake community used to be super-fragmented where different parts were seemingly unaware of each other.

And then when I was exposed to the modding community, I didn't initially understand but I wanted to know more --- at the time the modding community was in many ways embodied by FrikaC and his friends.

I was born into multiplayer, I get that. I also get competitive and extremist multiplayer. The single player guys have an unlimited imagination that has "soul". The modders dream of something "more". DarkPlaces in many ways has a large chunk of this mindset.

And I understand things such as Rune Quake and desire for any old average joe to be able to have fun if they adopt a crafty strategy.

Now ... what is special about this game? It isn't one of those niches, it is that this game is large enough that it encompasses them all.

Quake is complicated. And awesome. Engines like DarkPlaces or FTEQW ... they exist in Quake alone; why didn't Quake 2 or Quake 3 or some other game foster that line of evolution? And I don't claim to know.

What I do know: Quake is special. Not Quake II. Not Quake III. It's this one. And we see it every single day. I don't have to know the answer --- yet what I see through my question alone provides the validation.

Why is there not a LordHavoc, Spike, or MH (or Aardappel) in these other Quake games? For that matter, why don't these other Quake games have vocal "gatekeepers" like a Spirit or Baker or goldenboy (who has made more of a difference than is casually perceived)? Why do they not have the equivalent of a QuakeOne.com or an Inside3D.com or a Quakeworld.nu?

Like I said, I am not powered by the answer. I know the question.
                              Last edited by Baker; 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM.
                              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                              X