Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 vs Xp vs win 7

For quake which do u prefer , I'm going with xp

I dont have any particular preference, but xp and 7 seem to be the best platforms.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
      I dont have any particular preference
      I don't have any particular preferences either, but I've tried Quake and Quake 3 on Windows 2000... Both games run very well on Windows 2000. So W2000 gets my pick!
      "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

I game with Windows 7 with Dosbox or emulators for older games when I have to.

Comment

PinguyOS FTW!

Oh wait, that wasn't an option... DOH! Hrmmm...

For me Win 2000 was a bit too utilitarian for a mainstream gaming effort. XP was great if you're a bit "light" on hardware but 7 is perfectly fine if you have a good spec'd machine. At least that's my experience.

I don't really have a clear cut winner as I don't really look for FPS bragging rights anymore, I just like acceptable playability. Which I get with PinguyOS or Win7 sometimes coupled with either WINE, VirtualBox or some other emulator(s)!

So that's my pick, ANY of the above... hehe
          Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

while this is mostly useless winquake works up to xp. 7 and 8 cant run it property. and there is your random quake fact of the day!
            My Avatars!
            Quake Leagues
            Quake 1.5!!!
            Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Not to derail this thread but has anyone tried any of the Quake Engines in Windows 8 yet? Any luck or issues?

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
                while this is mostly useless winquake works up to xp. 7 and 8 cant run it property. and there is your random quake fact of the day!
                Winquake works fine on 7 here...

Comment

strange..ive tested it on multiple win 7 machine and it never worked properly.
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Disable DEP, then it'll run (for windows7: start->control panel->system->advanced system settings->advanced->performance settings->data execution protection->add->find your winquake.exe->ok->apply->close the multitude of windows you opened->start up the game, which should now run).
                    No, I can't help you with window8.
                    For the coders among you, the true (code) fix is to find the function Sys_MakeCodeWriteable and change the PAGE_READWRITE define to PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE. This simple fix will not break win95 etc support.

However, the astute amoung you will notice that in windows 7, it will still have a messed up palette. you can end-task 'explorer' to fix that - ctrl+shift+right-click on your start menu and select 'exit explorer', and start it up again once you've finished your game via task manager->run task->'explorer'. window 8 is meant to have this issue fixed (oh noes we made the start menu conflict with paletted programs, nuke it from orbit? YES!). Or you can bind something to 'bf' and press it any time windows wants to piss you off with a corrupt palette, that'll get the job done too. This applies to any and every game (although the bf thing is a quake-specific workaround).

GLQuake has different issues, mostly down to too many gl extensions and -no8bit not being default. Just use a custom port instead, they're awesome, especially mine.
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

Goodjob on making a post in the Poll's section, now if only it had a poll.
                      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                        Goodjob on making a post in the Poll's section, now if only it had a poll.
                        eh ill save the snappy response for later.
                        My Avatars!
                        Quake Leagues
                        Quake 1.5!!!
                        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

7 1st, XP 2nd, 2000 never!
                          Play Quake isnīt Rocket Science is Rocket Shooting!!!

Comment

I know it's not on the list but...

Windows 8 will screw up your mouse so bad you'll never want to play games again.
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Working...
                            X