Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating texture replacements (Models and rushes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating texture replacements (Models and rushes)

I would really like to know how i can achieve this
    Because this is a corrupted texture for the zombie model i was working on.
    If i do a HD replacement (512X512) the texture is misplaced but if i do an original resolution the texture get's corrupted.
    What am I supposed to do?
    I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
    But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Bump?

Comment

well, since no one else answered it, I will say that I'm not familiar with the software you are using. It seems to be Quark.

It sounds like a UV mapping problem. I know modeling and UV unwrapping, but I don't know Quark at all, so I can't help. I think it is a stone age tool (I personally use Blender and export my models either directly or via Noesis).

Might help if you show the uvmap and say what the dimensions of the textures are.

Might also be worth a shot to see what it looks like in QME.

Quake Terminus

You might also try asking at inside3d.com, people there might be more familiar with Quark.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I only use Quark to look at those ancient MDL files.
        I would use blender.

Comment

What does the model look like in Noesis?

Seor Casaroja's Engineering Oasis
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I didn't find the Zombie model, but i did find the scrabs model file.

It's basically replicating the same problem i had before.

Comment

Oof!

gnounc just pointed me to Taniwha's MDL import/export scripts for Blender. I tried those scripts with Blender 2.66, and it correctly imports the mesh, all the animations, the UVmap and the texture.

If this looks good to you, here are the import/export scripts:

Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Quake mdl - BlenderWiki

It imports the animations as shape keys instead of keyframes (due to Quake models having no armature), but if you don't want to change the animations, that shouldn't be a problem. And even if you do, you might just be able to continue using shape keys (also known as vertex animation).

Edit: I just tested the export, and it exports well and shows correctly in Noesis afterwards.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Thank you, i can now import mdl files into blender finally.

Comment

Now here's a new problem i found using this, it cannot export the MDL files

Comment

Taniwha's scripts come with an exporter that I just tested. it worked fine for me.

Were exactly does it fail?
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Comment

Looks like it doesn't find the texture image.

That sucks; what you could try is applying your own material to the model, using a texture image in a different location... or something like that.

You could also try and export it as MD3 (assuming this exporter works with 2.66) and then use Noesis to convert that to MDL.

I'm afraid I can't help fix the export problem itself, though. I have no idea why it works for me but not for you.

I'm willing to look at your .blend file if you link it.

Taniwha, the author of those scripts, might be able to help fix it - he hangs around inside3d, so you could PM him there. I will also poke him on IRC.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Shambler234: what exactly is the problem with exporting? The first requirement is the object to be exported needs to be selected/active (the export scripts work on only a single object: join any objects into one for export). Other than that, I need more details on what problems you're having.

[edit] Oops, didn't see the second page of replies. I'll take a closer look at the error.

Comment

Shambler234: Ok, I've had a proper look and the problem is fairly simple: when you imported the model, an export script was created (look in blender's text editor: the name of the script will match the model base name). Find the skin(s) section and edit the skin name. For me, the skin section was right under the documentation comment block.

Comment

Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X