Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the 'definitive' HD replacement content list!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
    the items listed here are all for use with the darkplaces quake engine
    So what IS usable with other engines, namely QuakeSpasm? I have some mods that refuse to work with DP and returning to the old pixellated/unlighted look for them is painful.
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• uhm.... i know several other engines support HD textures and HD skins

FTEqw supports HD replacement models in the form of MD3's
      and iirc i once saw it mentioned that qrack might support HD models as well? (dont quote me on this one though!)
      but the naming convention for replacement content of all of those engines are different

but... im not really well-known with other engines as i exclusively use Darkplaces
      so other people here might be able to inform you better
      on replacement features supported by other engines

also, out of curiousity....
      which mods are you having trouble with running in DP?
      Last edited by talisa; 05-07-2016, 10:05 AM.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• I have an alternative "skin" for Tea Monster Ogre model. Not a big change, only a simple recolor to have the skin color more faithful to original (more pink instead of grey), this was done for a friend, and when I've tested it in game I think it doesn't look bad, more faithful for sure in skin tone. Should I upload it here? The thread for alternative skins is locked
        Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• hrm..... auto-locking of threads is becoming a serious issue lately

yeah... i guess you can post it here then....

but ask a mod to unlock the thread from TeaMonster about his ogre
          http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...placement.html
          so that you can then move your post to there instead
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• just added the QRP texture-pack for MP2/rogue to the list

ive also added dutch's player-model to the list
            (over at monsters, which has been re-named to 'monsters & player')

and ive also added skiffy's authentic medium-poly shambler model

EDIT: did i forget about anything else released recently? (in regards to HD models and textures)
            Last edited by talisa; 07-07-2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• I saw this thread and then I was like...

So thanks for making this thread. Made my life way easier. You rock.

Comment

• @focalor
                you're welcome

it was a loooooot of work to make such a huuuge list,
                but knowing i helped to make fellow quakers' quest for HD content much easier and shorter totally makes it worth it

and i remember how much work and time it took to browse aalllllllll over the quakeone forums to find everything,
                especially the obscure stuff thats hidden away in the middle of threads.....

i wanted to help all my fellow quakers by saving them from that huge undertaking
                and give them one single page where they can find EVERYTHING

Comment

i wanted to help all my fellow quakers by saving them from that huge undertaking
                  and give them one single page where they can find EVERYTHING
                  And it is much appreciated! Found a lot of cool stuff I didn't even know existed the other day.
                  'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                    And it is much appreciated! Found a lot of cool stuff I didn't even know existed the other day.
                    glad to hear my hard work is appreciated and
                    my thread helps people to find obscure stuff they wouldnt have found otherwise

Comment

@focalor
                      you're welcome

it was a loooooot of work to make such a huuuge list,
                      Much appreciated work. My favorite thing about older games like this is the ability to easily customize all the different parts of it. I'm kinda surprised there's THIS MUCH stuff out there that isn't all just a bunch of tacky nonsense that's been crammed into something to use for the game and doesn't look like it belongs in Q1 to begin with, which is often the case with PAK's for Q2.

I've mainly only played Q2. I've made several different PAK files for it over the years. But it's pretty weird to me how in an even older game than Q2 you apparently have the ability to add so many special effects like reflective water and rocket trails that utilize GL particles. I've never seen a PAK file for Q2 that would add special effects like that. If you want different rocket trails or railgun trails in Q2, you have to use a whole different client that will do it, there's no way to simply add such an effect individually with files in a PAK. Would be really cool if it were possible. Or maybe it is possible and I'm just not aware of it. Any threads around here that you know of that would help in explaining how such custom effects are made or utilized in Q1 via pak files?
                      Last edited by Focalor; 07-27-2016, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• you dont need any pack-files, you just need an effectinfo and a particlefont.
                        darkplaces supports modifying quake's particle-effects using an effectinfo and particlefont

the particle-font and effectinfo included with seven's small mod compilation is also usable with stock quake

you will be missing certain effects from SMC though that need custom effect-definitions which were added with QC,
                        but all standard effects will be there

like rocket-trails and explosions for example

quake already has a lot of effects defined which can be easily modified using an effectinfo

seven can probably point you at where you could find more info regarding effects
                        and what exactly everything does in a the effect-blocks in an effectinfo

Comment

• I always link this thread when people want to play Darkplaces and ask for link for Quake Epsilon, Quake HD etc... Why download compilations based on personal tastes when you can build your own DP with a few clicks?
                          Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• @BV
                            exactly!
                            there is no one 'perfect' HD setup because everyone's tastes are different

and with so much different models and textures around to choose from,
                            its better to just put together a setup yourself so that its perfect FOR YOU

Comment

you dont need any pack-files, you just need an effectinfo and a particlefont.
                              darkplaces supports modifying quake's particle-effects using an effectinfo and particlefont
                              That's what I figured, that it had to be something possible due to the design of the engine allowing for it. Would be great if someone in the Q2 community could add support for such a thing into a client. R1CH just recently finally showed back up and updated the AntiCheat.dll but I don't think he did anything to update the R1Q2 client, which is what I use. Seems like a lot of folks have switched over to using Q2Pro. Dunno much about Q2Pro, but I think it's one client that might still get updates regularly. Would love to be able to point any Q2 client makers to something here that might help them implement such an awesome feature.

Comment

• Under the "Weapons" section for Quake, the very first set listed...

> Weapons <

ruohis has made a great set of HD weapon models, which look very nice:
                                view-weapons and weapon pick-ups
                                ...both links are down.

I already have an "Epsilon" all-in-one package as well as the "Quake HD Pack mod" that I found here. Would either one of these packages already contain these models?

Comment

Working...
                                X