Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Epsilon Compile Questions

Hello, it is me again!

I was curious if the worldspawn: _sunlight key works with Epsilon (Dark places) using Tyrutils and the GUI for compiling.

At this time only point lighting works when I test the map. I have tried to use _sunlight, _sun_mangle x y z, and _sunlight2 to no avail. When I test on Quakespasm I do get the sunlight effect so I am thinking the answer is a resounding no.

Second question is when I test my maps on another engine (Quakespasm vs Dark places) I see most things correct but with weird oddities like ammo and some weapon pickups missing. This isn't every pickup missing which makes it a mystery to me! I realize they are different engines and expect things like colored lights to have issue but not basic entites.

Thank you for reading, I am having a ton of fun with all of this!

Edit: I should point out I am using sky4 as the ceiling texture.

Edit 2: I am using Trenchbroom.
    Last edited by Bloughsburgh; 12-23-2015, 05:44 AM.

I know it can be frustrating when you ask a question and no one seems to reply. I can answer your questions but the answer can get real involved and I need to get my ass to sleep. If nobody answers you within the next 18 hours (sleep+work), I will.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Hey MadGypsy,

Not frustrating at all, ths is just a hobby and doesn't need an answer immediately. I am impressed by the level of support this game still has. Thank you for the reply and the fact it is an involved answer has certainly piqued my interest. Get some sleep and I patiently await your reply!

Comment

a handful of quickies for you and then I'm going to sleep

1) dump epsilon and see what happens to your map. That will answer your epsilon question
        2) here is my personal tyrUtils radiant with a custom ent that puts ALL of the tyrutils keys in the entity inspector https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...EVsaEhaT1NTQU0
        3) this thread goes with #2 http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...diant-ent.html

don't DL anything in that thread. It's all in my first link (the google drive one).

Those 3 non-answers may solve all of your problems cause, in short, yes _sunlight does work and it doesn't matter which sky you use as long as it is really a sky texture.

My opinion: Dump DP, it is no longer supported or maintained. You'll have to dump epsilon too if you do that. Personally, I use nothing but FTE. You can get just as much eye-candy out of FTE but there is no "epsilon" for it (that I am aware of). You would have to build your candy from scratch (mostly) or attempt to "FTE" the epsilon code.
        Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-23-2015, 05:45 AM.

Comment

You are astonishingly helpful and I am uber excited to try out that ent download after work. I will read through the thread you linked and see what is up. I will post back with my results/failures.

Thank you!

Edit: A brief look at the ReadMe shows that it is for netradiant? I use Trenchbroom (Should have made that clear on first post) to map so not sure if this is compatible. Either way it is a treat to peruse through!

Comment

It's not an ent download. It is an entire radiant download with my personal gamepack and custom ents already set up and included. Drag, drop and go, no bullshit. At least I'm pretty sure that's the link I gave you. Should be. If not, I can easily get one up. It even has a working build menu specifically for tyrutilsAND you can run maps from the editor without issue. I've spent years and years just mastering radiant inside and out (well not the source code but everything else). You can find a ridiculous number of posts on here by me regarding radiant. I even made it possible to use a game controller to map in radiant.

@astonishingly helpful - Thank you
            @your Thank you - you're welcome. my pleasure

edit: does trenchbroom use fgd or ent? I made both. The fgd was for worldcraft but if trenchbroom uses them it should still work.
            Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-23-2015, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Had Some Time

Okay, so I had some time to try out the suggestions.

First of all, I ditched Epsilon and the pickups still would not show after compiling. I had to delete and place back any missing pickups and now they show. So I guess that sort says: "Do not use darkplaces as your testing/mapping grounds."

Currently using Quakespasm as it seems to be widely supported.

MadGypsy,

I followed your readme and it appears Trenchbroom can load fgd files but I am not seeing anything different once I load it. There is not a "game selection" in Trenchbroom but I might be missing something.

Either way, my main issue was the strange oddities occurring and you helped me find the solution to this one! Sunlight works just fine when using Quakespasm!

Comment

IF trenchbroom works like worldcraft:

1) you have to go in settings/preferences/whatever TB calls it and tell it to use the specific fgd
                2) when you select an entity or world and open the entity inspector (or whatever TB calls it) all the relevant settings for that entity will be displayed

I'm sorry I'm not more versed in TB specifically. I'm not a big fan of worldcrafts feel and TB looks identical. In my opinion radiant is superior. I'll still try to help you whenever you need, though. Maybe I'll dl TB and spend 10 minutes running through the menus so I can give you better answers.

Edit: my mistake, trenchbroom looks nothing like worldcraft. Hmmm, did it used to or am I confusing it with yet another editor?

Edit2: Man you ain't neva lying. Trenchbroom completely ignores everything in the fgd except the most basic stuff. It also seems to refuse to find any models unless you rip them out of the pak. Yeeeaaah, I'm not wasting my time on this. I'll still help you if you need it, though. I went through all the menus and more or less memorized what's going on.
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-24-2015, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Actually this editor does find the models in the pak. My fgd does not have the model defs included. So, +1 for trenchbroom. However, even when I use the stock Trenchbroom FGD's almost none of the options show up in the entity inspector. It's basically the same 5 things every time. So, -1 Trenchbroom. I have been to every menu and every option I see nothing that indicates an "extended entity inspector" or anything else that displays all available keys. In searching all those menus I also noticed there is no compile or run map option. There is also no orthographic view. I just accidentally made a brush that is like a billion units cause there is no way to determine where you are clicking in space. No save selected. No import prefab... geez man this is missing a lot of stuff. If you delete the starter brush and make a new one you end up with even less keys in the entity inspector (wad,mod,def disappear)

This editor looks and runs pretty nice but it seems like it still has a ways to go. However, if they ever catch up to the Q1 possibilities in Radiant, I'd probably spend some time trying to make half a map in it.

IMO you are using half of an editor. Don't get me wrong. This editor has a lot of potential it just needs more time to mature. I don't think darkplaces or epsilon are your problem. Your problem is this editor. I've made plenty of maps with sun in darkplaces and epsilon is just game code which shouldn't be fucking with your sun. I'd be willing to bet a handsome penny that I could compile your map from radiant and run it in DP with epsilon and have no issue.
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-24-2015, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Ah you know I have been getting the feeling that the editor was a little light on content. In its defense however, it is a very approachable editing solution for complete newbies such as myself. I think what I will do is continue my batch of 4 maps (Not releasing but just the idea I had) with Trenchbroom and then start to learn Radiant. Considering you have the full entity definitions is something to behold!

One question from this though... is there a place or document that has a good amount of documentation/tutorials for using Raidant? One of the daunting and at times demoralizing aspects of getting into Quake mapping is the constant scavenging for information...most of the time it's years and years old but still applicable. I love learning on my own and want to put forth effort but it would be nice to have some sort of master document to pull from if need be.

Thank for putting all of the effort in trying to solve my problem and trying to look at Trenchbroom in order to get a clear understanding of where my obstacles where. You should be proud of how welcoming this place feels when it comes to a fresh (hobby only) mapper trying to figure out things!

Have a great holiday!

Comment

@radiant info

click "search forum", type "radiant", click search/go/whatever.

First read the tutorial by golden_boy (setting up and using radiant), then read whatever you like. Radiant is simple, bro. It just looks complicated. I learned basic radiant mapping (coming from worldcraft) in about 30 minutes. I beliwve the gtk and net radiant sites have basic docs for the editor. If not, the downloads might contain one.

note: gtk radiant and net radiant are practically identical. I use netradiant because it is portable... and that is practically the only difference. Dark radiant on the other hand looks the same but is very different.

You should give radiant a try BEFORE you finish your maps. You may decide to continue in TB is counter-productive. Just folliw the instructions in my read me and you will be up and running in 2 minutes or less. I disagree that TB is a good beginner editor. I'm not a beginner and I found it a little complicated to use. No orthographics is really a bad decision.
                      Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-24-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Ah hah, very well...I'll take your word for it considering your mastery over the editor. I will put a halt on my current maps and see if Radiant is the "one and only".

I'll post back here after my experiences sometime after the holidays!

Comment

I'm excited to help you if you choose radiant. Maybe with more than tech support if you want to team up on a map. I wan't to be real clear... I am not a pro mapper, not even close. I'm ...adequate. My "mastery" begins and ends with knowing radiant inside-out as it applies to Q1.

Comment

Conclusion

Okay so the holidays are over and the new year is here!

I just wanted to follow-up on the source of issues I was having between switching to Quakespasm after I have been testing my maps on Epsilon.

1) Random entities not appearing like weapons, pickups, etc

This is due to bounding boxes not being happy when pressed up against a wall. They also do not like being placed under an enemy. DP must compile differently and doesn't not do this but once I re-adjusted pickups I had no further problems in QS.

2) HoM effect in various places in QS but not DP.

This was simply the 4096 map size rule....DP does not follow this so the HoM effect was not observed. Simply selecting the entire map and shifting away from the 4096 limit resolved this issue.

3) Sunlight not working in DP (Epsilon)

I think something about the nature of the Epsilon build just doesn't allow sunlight in the same say other engines do. QS does this with no issue. Honestly this a moot point because once I switched to QS, Epsilon suddenly felt unnatural to me. I prefer the more classic look obviously.

4) Going to stick with TrenchBroom as I am very comfortable in it and find I can create anything my imagination comes up with! TB2 is around the corner as well!

MadGypsy,

Thank you for your assistance and I will definitely hold onto the radient package you provided! If I actually get to the point of releasing maps I would look into collaborations!

Cheers everyone!

Comment

I'm on a whole nother plane at this point, brother. I don't see myself going back to modding Quake. I have more than enough resources and information to completely go my own way. I'm a hanger on here, at best, til I get my stuff in order and publicize it.

Comment

Working...
                              X