No announcement yet.

A way to have a compass to show North?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A way to have a compass to show North?

So, Quake doesn't have a compass or map by default. It is important for me to know which direction is North in games. For a while I was just using a random number generator to arbitrarily decide which direction would be North based on which direction I was facing when I started a map..
    But then I found this:

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/games/idga...sc/compass.txt

Code:
    "Put progs.dat in a directory called compass under your Quake dir.
    Put compass.cfg in the same place.
    Start Quake using the "-game compass +exec compass.cfg" options."
    It appears this works as a separate game, just like user made levels. So my question is: Is it possible to run this along with user made levels at the same time?
    If not, are there any other mods to have a compass?

I found this:

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...edit-tool.html

But it's apparently Dark Places only.

Is there a way to do this in Quakespasm?

Thanks for your help!

no darkplaces is the only clients that support CSQC afaik,
    which is what nahuel's & _smith_'s hud uses.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Good news, someone on Quaddicted gave me heads up to this trick:

Quakespasm 0.91.0 has "r_pos 1" which prints your position and heading (the "yaw" value, in degrees).
      It's more of a developer option so you might find it a bit obtrusive, but at least it'll work with any mod/map.

it's not perfect, but it will work!

Comment

@talisa - FTE doesn't support CSQC? It has to. That would be epic silliness if it didn't. Spike wrote the compiler but didn't add the feature to his engine? LOL!!! No way!
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

oh right, i forgot FTEqw supports CSQC too
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I'm surprised directQ doesn't. That is a very mature engine.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

directQ has a very minor variation called rmqE. the remake quake engine.

It was really a test engine, but it has minimal csqc support. (draw image support and not much else)

theres also a test implementation in winquake floating around somewhere.

But for anything practical, only darkplaces and fte can be said to support csqc

edit:
              It should also be noted that development for directQ has ceased.
              Still, it IS a very good engine, all thanks to MH for the engine, and the blog.
              Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

rmqe has some support for csqc, but its very limited, it can do some 2d stuff, like simple huds, but that's about it. you'd need to explicitly compile your csprogs for it too.
                I don't think anyone has seriously tried working with it.

there's also my old 'csqcwinquake' engine, which was limited more by the lack of other functionality in the engine than by its csqc. or at least that was the theory - iirc it got to the point where I was updating the engine's various subsystems more than I was the csqc support, which defeated the point of the project. its woefully outdated now, even compared to dp's csqc support, and provides none of the comforts you might expect from other engines - its basically meant to be vanilla with the addition of only csqc support.

xavior attempted to port my csqcwinquake changes over to ezquake, but I don't think he got anywhere with it, certainly I'm not aware of any sort of release.

if you just want a compass, it'd be quite trivial to hack the engine to add some hud element that just displays the yaw angle. about as easy as it would be to do it in csqc, just that updating the engine to match new versions would be more annoying.

regarding directq, does it not have some minimap thing?
                (I don't think I've ever tried using that feature, so I've no idea how to enable it)
                Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
                X