quick noob question about installing mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick noob question about installing mods

is there a way to keep the main folders (id1/hipnotic/rogue) intact and still be able to load any mods to them and not having to worry later to launch a mod that expects a clean id1/hipnotic/rogue folder (similarly to how you load pwads after iwads in doom)?

e.g.: i have the epsilon build and instead of stuffing all of its content into id1/hipnotic/rogue, i could put them in their own separate folder, so then my folder structure would look like:
    Code:
    id1
    hipnotic
    rogue
    epsilon_id1
    epsilon_hipnotic
    epsilon_rogue
    but then if i do
    Code:
    port.exe -hipnotic -game epsilon_hipnotic
    it will look for its dependencies in id1 but will skip epsilon_id1 which has the bulk of hd content, leaving the game half-assed. it's really a pita that i can't combine mod A and B (that are compatible with each other) without putting at least one of them in id1 which is in turn incompatible with mod C, so then in order to be able to play mod C i'd have to remove either mod A or B from id1.
    so, is there a way to resolve this?
    help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by evil_presley; 05-29-2016, 01:43 AM.

I would first try the darkplaces client as it lists all installed mods and allows you to toggle them on and off. Other than that I can't offer much help.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt-PieFace View Post
      I would first try the darkplaces client as it lists all installed mods and allows you to toggle them on and off. Other than that I can't offer much help.

Good luck!
      thanks, i'll try what you said, but i'm still looking for a solution that provides a bit more flexibility.
      is there really no way to cross-reference mods even via autoexec?

Comment

Originally posted by evil_presley View Post
        is there a way to keep the main folders (id1/hipnotic/rogue) intact and still be able to load any mods to them and not having to worry later to launch a mod that expects a clean id1/hipnotic/rogue folder (similarly to how you load pwads after iwads in doom)?
        Yes

i have the epsilon build
        I am sorry to hear that

it's really a pita that i can't combine mod A and B (that are compatible with each other)
        You should read documentations about the engine that you are using more thoroughly.
        The correct way to do what you aim for is either via shortcut:
        Code:
        darkplaces.exe -hipnotic -game id_hd -game hipnotic_hd
        Or via console in game:
        Code:
        gamedir hipnotic id_hd hipnotic_hd
        You have to disconnect from server first to use the gamedir command !

Add more options as you wish.
        Configs from the last option will be used and saved.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
          I am sorry to hear that
          why's that?
          You should read documentations about the engine that you are using more thoroughly.
          you are absolutely right.
          The correct way to do what you aim for is either via shortcut:
          Code:
          darkplaces.exe -hipnotic -game id_hd -game hipnotic_hd
          actually i was thinking whether i should ask (better yet, try it myself before troubleshooting ) if the
          Code:
          game
          param is usable more than once, suspecting that should do the trick.
          Or via console in game:
          Code:
          gamedir hipnotic id_hd hipnotic_hd
          You have to disconnect from server first to use the gamedir command !

Add more options as you wish.
          Configs from the last option will be used and saved.

Good luck.
          thanks, mate! giving it a go right away.
          Last edited by evil_presley; 05-29-2016, 04:16 AM.

Comment

why's that?
            Because Epsilon uses some ancient versions of mods that have since been updated, but mostly because it is largely a compilation of mods borrowed from other mod authors and assembled with a rather lenient disdain for proper credit - at least that's the wishful thinking version of the angry side.

From an outsider's unprejudiced perspective, XOlve did give proper credit, both on his website and in the readme, so while I understand why modders who did the original work might feel "robbed" (which is quite ironic considering that what they themselves do could be equated to producing counterfeits), honestly the whole thing is ludicrous and a little saddening from a community that should stick together instead of acting all cats and dogs.

Epsilon surely is a great and easy way to enjoy the work of all these modders without the hassle of manually installing countless mods for countless hours and trying to make the whole labyrinthine thing work. XOlve, not them, did that for us, so at any rate these modders should thank him for helping to spread their work instead of blaming him. Plus, his own soundtrack is pretty good and suits the mood of Quake very well. It can't possibly match the original game better than NIN's gloomy dark ambient soundscapes but still, it's a refreshing change once in a while, and I think I'll replace the mission packs' soundtracks with it - especially the very uninspired and generic stuff by Sonic Mayhem.

PS: Love your username, BTW.
            Last edited by Mugwump; 05-31-2016, 01:08 AM.
            ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
            ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

With darkplaces, you can all those folders next to each other. It will load id1 by default, but when going in the in game mods screens, search the name.of the folder there(say rogue) and turn it on then press ok. Now it should be loading all the assets.

That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Voros View Post
                With darkplaces, you can all those folders next to each other. It will load id1 by default, but when going in the in game mods screens, search the name.of the folder there(say rogue) and turn it on then press ok. Now it should be loading all the assets.

That's it.
                thx, i already got it working @ -game x -game y ...

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                  Because Epsilon uses some ancient versions of mods that have since been updated, but mostly because it is largely a compilation of mods borrowed from other mod authors and assembled with a rather lenient disdain for proper credit - at least that's the wishful thinking version of the angry side.

From an outsider's unprejudiced perspective, XOlve did give proper credit, both on his website and in the readme, so while I understand why modders who did the original work might feel "robbed" (which is quite ironic considering that what they themselves do could be equated to producing counterfeits), honestly the whole thing is ludicrous and a little saddening from a community that should stick together instead of acting all cats and dogs.

Epsilon surely is a great and easy way to enjoy the work of all these modders without the hassle of manually installing countless mods for countless hours and trying to make the whole labyrinthine thing work. XOlve, not them, did that for us, so at any rate these modders should thank him for helping to spread their work instead of blaming him. Plus, his own soundtrack is pretty good and suits the mood of Quake very well. It can't possibly match the original game better than NIN's gloomy dark ambient soundscapes but still, it's a refreshing change once in a while, and I think I'll replace the mission packs' soundtracks with it - especially the very uninspired and generic stuff by Sonic Mayhem.

PS: Love your username, BTW.
                  ah i see. i thought he meant something like that. yes, that package is confirmed to be outdated/abandoned on moddb too. there's also QHD.

Comment

there's also QHD.
                    I'll check it out one of these days. From what I've read in the description, it seems to share a lot of assets with Epsilon. The pictures do look similar.
                    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

mm I think the whole comunity can done a very good HD compilation, maybe
                      quakeonehd with this forum as home,
                      Maybe using some features of SMC (not all)
                      But i do not know
                      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Working...
                      X