PSP proquake - out of ram problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSP proquake - out of ram problem

Hi. I just bought mission packs for quake 1. I like to play Quake on PSP, because of great port Based on kurok engine. So far, the only problem with original quake, was unexpected freeze while starting to shoot on level e3m4 (satan's dark something :p), but i was able to fix it, by dissabling dynamic lights. When i bought mission packs i started to have some problems. Scourge of armagon is all right, but game show me an error when i try to launch Dissolution of Eternity. It says: "out of ram for textures" or something like that. Funny thing is, that much less advanced port by Juraj Styk, works with this mission pack fine. Most of you may say: "play this one then". The problem is: it crashes often, even on original quake.

But there is more. Even though Juraj Styk edition is written from scratch, it has very simmilar GUI to proquake (which is based on kurok engine). Thing that makes it diffirent is a startup menu which allows to choose mods. It also allows to change the "heap" parameter. I dont know what it is but if i choose 9 it works. When i choose 17, game shows exact same error as in proquake. It appears that this is a problem causing this error in proquake, because there is no way to change heap by commandline file (commandline is a psp substitute to adding, for example "-game rouge" line in scrout on PC version ).

And here is my question. Does anybody has any idea to change heap by console command, or something else in psp proquake?
    Last edited by Grzybiarz; 06-06-2016, 12:35 PM.

PSP Quake was made to run on 32 MB of RAM because that is what the original PlayStation Portable had. There isn't a way to change the RAM it uses because the PSP had a fixed amount of RAM.

And all of the PSP Quake engines are very primitive compared to, for instance, Quakespasm or FitzQuake 0.85.

You are going to have memory problems with many custom levels or almost anything that isn't standard Quake and there is nothing you can do about it either, unfortunately.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Its ok, i can at least play scourge of armagon (for now at least) and for my suprise, Beyond Belief mod. As far as i can tell, Dissolution of Eternity is worse IMHO than scourge, so i am not losing much in that case. Thanks for quick reply. You have my gratitude.

Comment

O. Here is what i figured. The problem with ram is really depending on heap size. All exoansions works if i change it to 10. It can do that only in Juraj Styk edition. I also disvovered what caused that crashes. It appears that Juraj Styk version is really based on early version of kurok engine, which crashed when music were about to loop. Dissabling the music should do it. Thanks for your help. I think i can just play with no music, just as everybody does on steam :p

Comment

It's too bad that the CD loop playback fix wasn't added to all the PSP Quake engines.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Yeah but its not something that ruins the game for me. Unlike doom, Quake music should make everything spooky and lack of it doesent annoys me as much as in doom cause i dont like spooky games heh

Comment

Working...
            X