Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience modifying GFX file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience modifying GFX file?

I'm in the process of making new face textures for the status-bar to accompany a new player model I've recently finished (not Quake Guy 2016, an entirely different one). As many of you may know, these textures have to be packaged in a WAD file called "gfx" (in order to replace the originals, which are located there).

* I fully understand I can simply drop the pictures as JPEGs in a 'textures' folder for DarkPlaces/FTE to read them, and believe me, I'd love to be lazy and do this and call it a day. *

BUT, there is a healthy following of faithful clients I'd rather not leave out.

TexMex consistently crashes when I import what I assume to be correct images: 8-bit BMP with the Quake palette at 24x24 resolution. Either TexMex sucks, or it doesn't like my system. Either way, it ain't gonna work.

Tried doing a batch conversion through Wally, no luck.

Looked around online for a better WAD editor....I always come full circle back to TexMex.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm all ears. I'll keep dicking with it for awhile, but not much longer. Once my patience fully evaporates, these replacement textures will be advanced engine only.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Hello Dutch,

What you are looking for is: Adquedit

1. Extract it
    2. Start it
    3.a) Tell it your path to your favorite quake.exe
    3.b) Tell it your path to your Quake palette (it is included if you do not have one)
    4. Open the gfx.wad file that you want to edit
    5. Browse through your gfx.wad file and find the textures you want to edit
    6. Extract the textures you want to edit with the "export" button and modify them in your favorite texture editor. I use the .pcx format but there are others too.
    You an even link to your favorite texture editor from within the tool and use the "edit" button if you want.
    7. Once finished, use the "replace" button to bring them back into the gfx.wad
    8. Close/save it.

Now pack your new gfx.wad into a .pak file and it will be loaded by every engine.

Happy editing,
    Seven

PS: Some screenshots with a brand new face texture (took me 1.5 hours till I was satisfied)

Comment

[/QUOTE]

That HUD face has got to be the worst(and funniest) face I'e ever seen.
      Dude,lets party!
      Bring some food and drink.I got Arcane Dimensions 2.666!?!

Comment

Awesome, thank you Seven! Its greatly appreciated. I'll download Adquedit tonight and try it out.

Nice job on the new face. It really captures the feel of quake
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Working...
        X