No announcement yet.

Trenchbroom and doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also is there an easy way to make the sliding doors seen in the beginning of e1m1? The sawtooth doors? Just looking for some tips and tricks....thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by davebeats83 View Post
      Also is there an easy way to make the sliding doors seen in the beginning of e1m1? The sawtooth doors? Just looking for some tips and tricks....thanks!
      Not an easy way. But...

Make a square brush with the texture of the door on it. You can use the clipping tool to carve out the shapes or you can use the brush tool (B) to trace around the edges of the texture then hold down shift and "extrude" the shape away from the outline. See this movie for what i am talking about.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...EVDbEJ1TFZlajA
      Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

davebeats83: You can go about making fancy multibrush doors starting the same way you would make a double door. Use the instructions I gave earlier as a reference. Draw the door as one brush, make sure the texture is aligned perfectly over the brush first. These id1 jagged doors are 128 x 128 I believe. You need to work on grid 8.

There are multiple ways one can cut the door. Looking at the e1m1 tech door from the id wad the easiest way is to cut the door into three horizontal chunks using the jagged middle. So an upper piece, a middle piece with the jagged edge and a lower piece. Now cut the "2 doors" by cutting an angle following the line of the door. You will now have 6 door brushes. Select the left 3 together using ctrl click and make it a func_door. Repeat for the right 3 brushes and you have a jagged door.

I am planning to make a tutorial series covering all the mapping basics, but I need to finish my AD map first. Making youtube videos is very time consuming.

Comment

I appreciate the tips guys I really do! Learning the clip tool now but i can't seem to get it to split a brush as it says in the manual. Only makes on part disappear. I do look forward to your videos though!

Comment

It's only supposed to make one part disappear. It "clips" off the excess that you defined. You don't have to use clip though. You could just as easily box select the verts of one corner and move them into place.

Just make the right 3 brushes, copy, paste and rotate 180 on the local y with tex lock off and adjust the center brush.
            Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-29-2017, 06:01 PM.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

@davebeats83: After you mark your clip with 2 points it will draw a line between them. Now press ctrl + enter to shift the clipping plane. You will see one side be clear and one side be red. The clear side will disappear. This is useful for making other geometry, but not doors. Press ctrl + enter again until both sides of the clip are red. Now let go of ctrl and press enter. The brush is split and you have both sides. This will allow you to make doors quickly.

As noted you could also go into vertex edit mode, by pressing v, and drag the center vertex out on the middle door brush to make the correct shape. You would have to experiment with this, but it is quite simple.

Redfield

Comment

@ Press ctrl + enter again until both sides of the clip are red. Now let go of ctrl and press enter. The brush is split and you have both sides.

niiiice. I did not know about that feature.

Comment

Actually, if it's that easy to split then why not ~

Comment

THANK YOU!!! That makes it way easier! I appreciate the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by Redfield View Post
                      Draw your door brush. Split the brush where you want the door to be cut. Now turn each brush into a separate func_door. Do not group them as one func_door. You do not need to make them func_plats. Angle -1 makes a door go "up" the z axis. Angle -2 makes it go "down" the z axis. In order to understand the other angles you need to know what direction the doors are facing and will go. Enter an angle of 90. Look at the white direction arrow rendered in the center of the door, it will move. Now change it to 180 and it will move again. This is the direction the door will open to.

The two side by side doors must be touching and seperate func_doors. The angles must be opposite each other, eg 90 and 270 or -1 and -2 to open in the correct directions.

Literally all doors on my map use 0 and 180, 90 and 270 etc as angles. I hope this helps you and you can try dowload kissanime 2.0

Redfield.

Now that's a very clear and concise explanation. You should write tutorials!

Comment

Working...
                      X