Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for monsters animated using framegroups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for monsters animated using framegroups.

Looking for a mod with monsters animated using framegroups.

I'm working on a game project using Darkplaces. And I would like to look at how other people made monsters animated with framegroups happen. All the ones I found so far use the standard MDL format and no framegroups.

So can anyone of you direct me towards something like that? Would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't be of much help, I've never seen framegroup animated monsters. May I ask why you want to pursue this method? The standard method (defining a think function for frames) allows total control of monster behavior per frame.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

framegroups are used to tell the engine to use different frames than the ones that are defined in the QC.

the only reason to ever use framegroups at all is if the animation-frames of your model do not match the frames that are defined in the QC.
      or if you want your model to have a looping animation like flames for torches, since md3 doesnt support always-playing looping animations out of the box

so unless you intend to make models from which the frames-order is different than the frames defined in the QC, there is really no reason to use framegroups.

at least afaik thats what framegroups are for. im no engine-dev nor am i an expert on framegroups though.
      Last edited by talisa; 07-12-2017, 06:30 PM.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
        framegroups are used to tell the engine to use different frames than the ones that are defined in the QC.

the only reason to ever use framegroups at all is if the animation-frames of your model do not match the frames that are defined in the QC.
        or if you want your model to have a looping animation like flames for torches, since md3 doesnt support always-playing looping animations out of the box

so unless you intend to make models from which the frames-order is different than the frames defined in the QC, there is really no reason to use framegroups.

at least afaik thats what framegroups are for. im no engine-dev nor am i an expert on framegroups though.
        Yeah, the only time I've seen them used is on things like torches, where the animation loops. The MDL can also be saved with a random flag so that the animation starts at any random frame in the group.

I don't know how on earth this could effectively be used for monsters though, seems like a LOT more effort than the tradtional way, if it even would work.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Working...
        X