D'Oh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D'Oh!

Please bear(growwwlll) with me on this one, I know little about hardware, and even less about fixing stuff.

I have a Savage4 video card (OH NO!), and CD drives that do not work. I downloaded the shareware just as the guide on this site said, because I cannot put my copy of Quake into the computer. I finish all the installations perfectly, but when I start the game, I get a black screen, and hear the sounds of the demo in the background. Any ideas?
    "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

two solutions that might work:

1) make a batch file (basically make any file then rename it to Bank.bat, then delete all the crap in it when you choose 'Edit'). Then put in the quake engine that you're using (glpro, qrackgl, etc) then type in -window -width 400 -height 300 -conwidth 200 -conheight 150. Here's an example:

glpro -window -width 400 -height 300 -conwidth 200 -conheight 150

Then you basically run it. oh ya, the batch file has to be in the same directory as your quake engine.

2) since you say your gxf card is broken (like mine), use Winquake or winquakepro (proquake). It should work!

Comment

Thank you, that helped a lot, but I do have one more problem which probably cant be dealt with.

A lot of times when programs start on my computer, they'll run fine, but many times they'll freeze for no apparent reason, Quake, Worms, and a few others do about the same. Any ideas?

Comment

WORMS!! I have that game it is friggin fun as hell.

Comment

You can try this for free....

Originally posted by Bank
          Thank you, that helped a lot, but I do have one more problem which probably cant be dealt with.

A lot of times when programs start on my computer, they'll run fine, but many times they'll freeze for no apparent reason, Quake, Worms, and a few others do about the same. Any ideas?
          http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

By Trend Micro creators of McAffee. It seems decent enough and saved me from annoyances b4.

If that's not the case, depending on your graphics card i find most 64mb cards like only prowinquake, and hate glproquake... if your's like glproquake then your best to use that... as for tweakings, i really can't remember b/c now i got a 9200 radeon and i haven't had much trouble at all anymore with the graphics or the old "shadowy" rooms and everything has a "shadow" or a darkness to it that it shouldn't....

Anyways goodluck, getting rid of the freezing issues. These are never good and they wreck your mood for fragging and watching the meatchunks fly.

~Cheers.

Comment

McAfee is a software company, not an anti-virus software itself, and also has no relation with TrendMicro, and he mentioned Worms as in the game, not viruses, trojans worms.

Also note that the Savage4 has notorious freezing problems in both D3D and OpenGL accellerated games. You may want to try using the AltoGL D3D wrapper. Simply extract to Quake, rename it to Opengl32.dll, and enjoy

and no darkplaces won't work on it so don't even try.

Comment

Originally posted by CheapAlert
              McAfee is a software company, not an anti-virus software itself, and also has no relation with TrendMicro,
              I had no idea, of that. I mean, i didn't know that. I was not aware of that.

and he mentioned Worms as in the game, not viruses, trojans worms.
              Worms as in the game? what do you mean by that....

Opengl32.dll. and no darkplaces won't work on it so don't even try.
              I have to delete opengl32.dll so it uses my hardware glide drivers, b/c old voodoo minidriver or a fragment of not-real glide drivers..... or so i read someplace that they weren't even really glide.... Anyways what ever that opengl32.dll is, it doesn't agree with my card.

But if they are older cards, maybe they do use these.... and i guess your url is some work around to tricking quake into using something else, and i don't need it... but hopefully it helps the guy of this topic....

Comment

Worms as in the game? what do you mean by that...
                He means Worms, the PC computer game.

Comment

Originally posted by Lerster
                  but hopefully it helps the guy of this topic....
                  I thought I was a bit more popular than that!

But anyway, I've tried the gl replacement, but I get an evil white screen, and it shows a completely white map, with white white almost cell-shaded weapons and monsters, and then BLAMO! I get a fatal error with need to close.

Comment

Which engine are you trying it with?

Comment

Working...
                    X