This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP and Quake

The original quake.exe does not run on Windows XP.

Winquake.exe or GLquake.exe do run on Windows XP but many Quake players consider those obsoleted for various reasons.

If you wish to run Quake on Windows XP, you should install ProQuake which will run on any computer that runs Windows XP:

ProQuake 3.50 EZ Installer (0.7 MB)

ProQuake is an old school Quake available in both the Win and GL varieties with a handful of bug fixes and is considered "Quake without the bugs" and has a critical fix for multiplayer in today's world, as well.

Newer Clients

In addition there are several newer more graphical clients:

The newer client that is the most popular with multiplayer types with video cards is QRack pictured above (GL only): http://www.quakeone.com/qrack

JoeQuake is also popular with multiplayer and single player.

Alternative Engines

FitzQuake is an old school improved Quake with improvements for single player. Keep in mind that FitzQuake does not have a critical fix required for multiplayer use, particularly with broadband. GL Only.

DarkPlaces has improved graphical effects and is has a wide array of menu options and effects. It doesn't have many of the multiplayer adjustments found in ProQuake, QRack and JoeQuake. It is a very good choice for single player usage where performance is not an issue, and can make maps look greatly improved, such as Nehahra. DarkPlaces does has have the critical fix that allows for clients to connect to servers behind a broadband router. GL only.

There are other engines that are a great choice for single player use. Please see the "Alternative Engines" section in links on the left side of this site.
    Last edited by Baker; 03-20-2006, 02:44 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Quake.exe doesn't work on Windows 2000 and 2003 server either, just an FYI.

Comment

Quake.exe doesn't work on linux... because it's an exe

Comment

Originally posted by CheapAlert
        Quake.exe doesn't work on Windows 2000 and 2003 server either, just an FYI.
        I didn't realize that, that does make a great deal of sense.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

oh and it also doesn't work on Windows NT4.

Comment

Working...
          X