X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making an AVI Quake Video - Very Easy

Making a simple Quake video

I believe these instructions work perfectly for Qrack and JoeQuake 0.14 and JoeQuake 0.15, but I used JoeQuake 0.14 because that is what I have always used for AVI demo capture.

DarkPlaces has AVI capture as well and I'll explain that one some time.

1. Record your demo or demos.
    2. Make sure you have either the DIVX or XVID codec, otherwise your videos will be huge (gigabytes!) http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/

3. Start up JoeQuake 0.14 (c:\quake\joequake-gl.exe -width 640 -height 480 -bpp 32) and do the following:

capture_codec "DIVX" // XVID codec is better
    bind "[" "capture_start mysegment1"
    bind "]" "capture_stop"
    4. Play a demo and press "[" when you want to start recording and "]" when you want to stop. Output will be in c:\quake\capture\mysegment1.avi.

5. For segment 2: type ...

bind "[" "capture_start mysegment2"
    6. Play a demo and press "[" when you want to start recording and "]" when you want to stop. Output will be in c:\quake\capture\mysegment2.avi.

7. For segment 3: type ...

bind "[" "capture_start mysegment3"
    8. Play a demo and press "[" when you want to start recording and "]" when you want to stop. Output will be in c:\quake\capture\mysegment3.avi.

9. Get VirtualDubMod, it is free and open source (not trialware!). Download link

10. Start VirtualDubMod

11. Click "Video" -> "Direct Stream Copy"

12. Click "File" -> "Open" -> Select the file c:\quake\capture\mysegment1.avi"

13. Click "File" -> "Add Segment" -> Select the file c:\quake\capture\mysegment2.avi"

13. Click "File" -> "Add Segment" -> Select the file c:\quake\capture\mysegment3.avi"

14. Click "File" -> "Save As" -> Save file as mymovie.avi

15. Upload the video to YouTube or Google Videos.

16. Done

Embedding Video In A QuakeOne Forums Post

Enlarge this pic to see the BBCode to type to insert a movie into a post with a [ movie ] tag.

FAQs

Q. How do I make the Quake guy show up?

A. chase_active 1

Q. How do I hide the weapon model?

A. r_drawviewmodel 0

Q. How do I hide the HUD (health & ammo display)?

A. viewsize 120

Q. How do I hide the on-screen game clock in top right in Qrack/JoeQuake?

A. scr_printstats 0 (Qrack and JoeQuake 0.14) or show_stats 0 (JoeQuake 0.15)

Q. How do I keep printed messages from appearing?

A. con_notifylines 0
    Last edited by Baker; 04-15-2007, 08:04 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

For qrack I also recommend:

to turn of centerprint messages:
    cl_nocenterprint 1

to turn off chat beeps:
    cl_mute 2
    uakene.com

Comment

Btw, Baker, you suck. 8 doubles for a fiend???
      16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

If I was playing in 3rd person view mode, I'd suck too

Comment

What sniper said!
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

why were you playing in chase active? just record in normal view then set c_a 1 when you're playing it back to record...
            uakene.com

Comment

/Shhhhh

Comment

I wouldn't mind the videos if you used 3rd person view in some cases but to use it the entire time boring to watch IMHO. 1st person view is much nicer.

Comment

Nice! Shouldnt u make this a sticky?
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to see more players make Quake movies.

Comment

The DIVX codec makes videos smaller but lower video quality. XVID makes videos better quality but larger. I've run into the XVID status window popping up and stealing "focus", making parts of an AVI all black.

The solution:

... the xvid status window comes up. i do not need it at all. can any one tell me a way, which i can use in my code, to close the status window. thx a lot..

Answer:

[Do regedit.exe and go to HK Current User] If HKCU\Software\GNU\XviD\display_status is set to 0 the window won't pop up.
                      Basically you add a registry key "XviD" and add a "DWORD" in there and for the XVid encoder, it doesn't pop the annoying status window.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                        The DIVX codec makes videos smaller but lower video quality. XVID makes videos better quality but larger. I've run into the XVID status window popping up and stealing "focus", making parts of an AVI all black.
                        Both Divx and Xvid have variable bitrates, so variable filesize/quality...

Comment

The Binds you typed up don't exist because it dosen't exist on my Quake 1

Comment

Originally posted by DooMerQuakE View Post
                            The Binds you typed up don't exist because it dosen't exist on my Quake 1
                            Read this thread again and you'll see Baker has explained from the 1st post...
                            I believe these instructions work perfectly for Qrack and JoeQuake 0.14 and JoeQuake 0.15, but I used JoeQuake 0.14 because that is what I have always used for AVI demo capture.
                            This tutoirial is for JoeQuake, though works for Qrack also. So, unless you use one of those engines, the commands are not included in your "quake" client.
                            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              Yeah, I'd like to see more players make Quake movies.
                              I made vids for quakeworld with ezquake. Here's an example of a good player playing ffa on xs4all server:

quakeworld deathmatch pkeg1 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9P4PWKm79k"]YouTube - quakeworld deathmatch pkeg1[/ame]

DoubleClick the youtube logo to visit the youtube page to choose the higher quality option (or to make the vid play....since this embedded stuff doesn't always work for some reason).

Anyway, good to know there's an avi capture option in netquake as well. Thanks. However, you forgot to mention that in virtualdub, you actually have to select what compressor you want to use (divx or xvid, etc) in the video compression settings.
                              Last edited by megalodon; 10-31-2008, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X