Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiends getting stuck in mid air

Hello, Quake community!

First of all, I'd like to say that, even though I'm creating a topic just now, I've been following the community for a good while.

And you guys have always helped me immensily! I'm taking this opportunity to thank you guys for making my all-time favorite game even more awesome.

And please forgive me if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place. Let me know and I'll correct it as soon as I can.

Anyway, the reason for the thread is a problem I've encountered many times while playing Quake Epsilon's most recent build.

It seems that the Fiends sometimes get stuck in mid air when they're close to an edge or something.

This can be reproduced in the main campaign E3M5 Wind Tunnels level right after the very first wind tunnel.

I've looked for a solution to this problem with no success.

Have you guys exprienced the same glitch before? Do you know if it's been fixed?

Thanks again for being such a great community!

Cheers!

Hello there.
    I have no clue how to fix that. But when uning Darkplaces i also have this issue with the demons. I'm a fair sportsman, so i wait for them to fly on, if nothing else is going on. Sometimes i paint them a mustache while they are frozen. But jokes left aside: It's a little annoying but not gamebraking. I think Darkplaces even got a cvar to fix that error. You sure have your reasons for using Epsilon. It's based on Darkplaces. Maybe you try to use that cvar (which you probably can find on LordHavoks Darkplaces site), maybe the epsilon authors implemented it too.

Anyway, have a nice evening and good frags!
    I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
    My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

feinds getting stuck on edges of brushes is a known darkplaces-only bug

seven's SMC has a 'fix' for this implented in the form of immediately making a stuck fiend do another jump in the opposite direction.
      the spawn/tarbaby has the same bug too, which seven also applied the same 'fix' for

also lmfao at 'epsilon author '.... that 'amazing epsilon pack' is nothing more than a compilation of stuff found right here at quakeone.
      afaik it does include a copy seven's SMC but includes a really outdated version of the SMC.

so i'd recommend to just trash that awful compilation, check out my thread which has all HD content available for quake listed:
      http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-help...t-content-list
      use that thread to build your own setup with all the stuff that you like in terms of HD content

and then grab yourself the most up-to-date copy of seven's 'Small Mod Compilation':
      http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...od-compilation
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

also lmfao at 'epsilon author '.... that 'amazing epsilon pack' is nothing more than a compilation of stuff found right here at quakeone.
        afaik it does include a copy seven's SMC but includes a really outdated version of the SMC.
        Ouh... didn't know that. So whoever made that pack basically ripped a lot and patched it together as his own stuff !? If that's the case its poor behaviour !
        I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
        My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

TheKillingJoke

yep thats exactly what the supposed 'creator' of epsilon did.

same counts for 'Rygels Ultra Pack', 'Quake HD pack' , 'Quake - HD' and any of those quake HD builds
          that you can find all over the internet on sites like modDB and such.

they're nothing more then compilation-packs of stuff that was found right here at quakeone,
          re-packed and then uploaded to a site pretending they made it so that they get praised for the hard work of others

the person who packed up the epsilon compilation did actually include a readme with some credits.
          but since most people dont read readmes, 99% of people who use those compilations think that the uploader created everything

however most of those 'epic HD compilations' do NOT include any kind of readme with credits AT ALL,
          which is just downright insulting and is a slap in the face to the creators of the models & textures (which i am one of)
          Last edited by talisa; 07-31-2017, 10:27 AM.
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I knew this beautiful community wouldn't let me down! Thank you for all the responses!

I'll definitely take a look at the recommended fix for the Fiends' will to fly.

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
            I'm a fair sportsman, so i wait for them to fly on, if nothing else is going on. Sometimes i paint them a mustache while they are frozen.
            TheKillingJoke - LOL! I hadn't thought about the mustache thing. That would make an interesting minigame. I'm a fan of fair play as well. So I usually wait for the poor Fiends to land before resuming combat. hehe

You guys are absolutely right about the Epsilon thing. There seem to be many videos on Youtube running Epsilon builds. So I think many people were exposed to Quake's HD options by them. However, after spending some time on Quake forums (specially this one), I quickly learned the reality of this pack.

I'm about to delete it and start building my own Quake version based on the enhancements that please me the most.

I'll surely use talisa's thread for that.

Thanks again for being so nice and helpful!

Cheers! And I'll see you around!

Comment

Originally posted by domyibby View Post
              Hello, Quake community!

First of all, I'd like to say that, even though I'm creating a topic just now, I've been following the community for a good while.

And you guys have always helped me immensily! I'm taking this opportunity to thank you guys for making my all-time favorite game even more awesome.

And please forgive me if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place. Let me know and I'll correct it as soon as I can.

Anyway, the reason for the thread is a problem I've encountered many times while playing Quake Epsilon's most recent build.

It seems that the Fiends sometimes get stuck in mid air when they're close to an edge or something.

This can be reproduced in the main campaign E3M5 Wind Tunnels level right after the very first wind tunnel.

I've looked for a solution to this problem with no success.

Have you guys exprienced the same glitch before? Do you know if it's been fixed?

Thanks again for being such a great community!

Cheers!
              This is a problem with physics in Quake. A known issue. I would try using a trigger_monsterjump just outside the area they are landing in. It may propel them up and over the area they are getting stuck on. https://quakewiki.org/wiki/trigger_monsterjump

I just realized you aren't making a map... ooops. - Nothing you can do about it as far as I know.
              Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

I understand the sentiment regarding the 'author' of epsilon but, it is counter-productive. If the point of all this is to get more people involved in Quake then hasn't epsilon done exactly that?

It seems unfair to state on one side that the epsilon author included credit for the material he used in the read_me but, then bash him anyway due to no one reading the read_me. It seems that those against the guy that spent plenty of time trying to put all of this stuff together are trying to imply he shouldn't have made it in the first place.

I have read posts regarding epsilon in the past and I remember that it was not 100% other people's material. The author at least made modifications to the code... and quite possibly other things.

Those against him should be glad that their work was included in something that got so much attention. Maybe if people around here supported these things more positively we would have even nicer things.

I do not at all see the benefit in bashing someone for trying to provide the best this community has to offer as a completed and ready to go package. The alternative is to expect this community to grow by making things as complicated as possible for newbies. I wonder how many people got their feet wet with epsilon and then found themselves trying SMC or seeking out even better textures, models, etc as they became more familiar with the possibilities. I bet that number is higher than some here would like to admit or know.

In contrast, the negativity is a missed opportunity. To use Talisa as an example. Instead of BOOOO EPSILON.. the reaction could be something more like "Epsilon is a decent mod. Some of my texture work was used in it. If you like what you see, pop over to my HD thread where I have hundreds more textures."

This method could be used for all the various material and as a source of self promotion, as-well-as an uplifting of community members. Instead we have 'bah humbug fuck that guy' ... and where is he now?
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
                X