Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i need to "vispatch" id1 maps when using rtlights with AfterQuake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i need to "vispatch" id1 maps when using rtlights with AfterQuake?

I installed FTE/AfterQuake and chose to use dynamic lighting for the id1 maps. The rtlights are downloaded automatically by the client.

But on Demonvein's website (were the rtlights-beta is at home) he writes that i'd need to re-vis the maps, to be able to use rtlights.

I'm quite confused because this is the first time i hear of that. Anybody can help me understand this conundrum?

UPDATE: My research leads me to think that vispatching is needed for having transparent water in Quake. But i already have transparent water with the rtlights in FTE. Could it be that FTE does not require vispatching anymore? I'm still confused.
    Last edited by jjensson; 12-14-2018, 02:50 PM.

DarkPlaces had a cvar named r_novis where if you set it to 1, the level would render without using any vis. It would reduce framerate as you would then be viewing the whole level at once any way you look, but it would also allow you to have transparent water on maps that weren't vis'd for transparent water. I believe FTEQuake has the same, though I don't know offhand if it's the same cvar name.
    Some time ago I found a pack of the original quake maps (e1-e4, start, end, dm1-6) as well as the mission pack levels (scourge of armagon, dissolution of eternity) re-vis'd for transparent water, so you could just stick the .pak files in the respective game dir's and have transparent water without using the r_novis option.

As for RTLights, that should be independent of VIS. RTLights, though I haven't used them, if I remember correctly are a modular addon? That goes in the same directory as your .pak files (or is it map files)-- I'm sorry I don't know much about RTLights, I'm more here to answer your UPDATE: question.
    But
    on Demonvein's website (were the rtlights-beta is at home) he writes that i'd need to re-vis the maps, to be able to use rtlights
    can you tell me where he said that? What exactly did he write? Is it possible that he was talking about doing some special debugging of his own RTLights and had to re-do some stuff regarding vis?

Let me know if you get RTLights working with transparent water and such.
    Cheers

Comment

Yeah, everything works in FTE/AfterQuake at default without vispatching anything. Water is transparent, RTLights work (at least in the main game, which i tested). Full dynamic lighting doesn't work with Arcane Dimensions, but i guess it doesn't have any rtlight definitions.

Demonvein wrote here about re-vising: https://rtlights4quake.wordpress.com/how-to/
      Look under VISING YOUR ID1 MAPS.

Comment

Working...
      X