Miss my Quake Buddies - SHMACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss my Quake Buddies - SHMACK

OK, I think I have Joe Quake, not sure of build or version because I am not a computer rocket scientist.

About a month ago, my server list on "Join Game" no longer showed the servers or the number of players. Understand the Gamespy site went off line or whatever, so no problems. I resorted to "Connect quake.shmack.net" Worked fine until about a week ago.

I can manually connect to any server this way, but no longer Shmack. I figure that Slot finally figured out I am a bot.

So, here is how I try to connect and the messages that display. Nothing has changed on my computer, nor my internet or firewall.

Introduction

Connect quake.shmack.net

Using port 26000

Trying...

Still trying...

Still trying...

Still trying...

No response

Syntax: Connect Server: Port (Port is optional) Host_Error: Connect Failed

Appreciate any assistance.

Hi HP
    I don't have access to the server back-end else I would try and check the ban list for you, but it might be worth dropping slot a polite PM over on forums.runecentral.com. He's usually a very helpful guy especially if you ask him nicely

It's probably unrelated but I had a similar issue a little while back and realised I couldn't connect to Shmack because an application I had installed (in my case virtualbox) had created another network adaptor and when my ProQuake client fired up it was trying to use the virtual box network adaptor IP and not my LAN IP address. In my case the solution was to add an " -ip 192.168.1.234" paramater to my quake command line to ensure Quake used the correct IP. I only mention it in case you may have done something similar and this may ring a bell and save you some time.

It might be worth trying again with a copy of one or more of the latest engines such as Mark V, QuakeSpasm or good old Proquake just in case your config has become corrupted or your AV/Firewall has decided to block it as part of an update.

Kind regards
    Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Thanks Monty.

Was tongue in cheek about being banned. And Slot was the first person I hit up. Actually think I have Proquake.

So the command line would be "connect quake.shmack.net -ip 192.168.1.234" ???

Comment

My Quake version is DX8 Pro493.

I can connect with every server but Shmack.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyBunny_2 View Post
          Thanks Monty.... Actually think I have Proquake.

So the command line would be "connect quake.shmack.net -ip 192.168.1.234" ???
          Hi HB,
          Assuming your internal ip is 192.168.1.2, and the engine you are using is called quake.exe, then the command line
          you could use to start quake would be something like..
          quake.exe -noipx -bpp 32 -winmem 128 -ip 192.168.1.2

Once up and running it should just be a case of typing in the following command to connect to shmack
          connect quake.shmack.net:26000

However, the fact that you can connect to other quake servers out there on the internet suggests there could be something wrong with the firewall or your routing to that server rather than your engine. If you fire up Quake, then type the following in console, what happens?
          connect 206.51.245.84
          If you connect to the Shmack server then you may have a DNS problem.

Kind regards
          Monty
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

Tried the connect 206.51.245.84

Identical error message. Sad bunny

Comment

Darn it!
              Proquake is a pretty safe bet in my experience but if you have tried all of the above with multiple engines ( including MarkV / Qrack/ Quakespasm), then I wonder if it's your local firewall. Just as a test, it might be worth turning it off and seeing if you can connect (remembering to turn it back on again afterwards ).

Kind regards
              Monty
              Last edited by Mr.Burns; 09-01-2020, 03:32 PM.
              Mr.Burns

Comment

Magically able to play ont the server again. Unable to change anything on the firewall, but it came back!!! I wish to thank the Academy and all the little people who made this possible.

I will turn off the bot now and use only fluffy unicorns. Cheers to everyone, even Monte who kinda rocks a bit!

Comment

Working...
                X