Questions from a Cheatyface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions from a Cheatyface

Okay, so I have a question. I use Darkplaces mainly, and Ive tried Mark V and QuakeSpasm.
    My question is why does the "give" command never ever work. Every website I look at, including the website for Darkplaces says you can type "give" to get something. "Give ammo"
    "Give weapons"
    "Give S 200" to get 200 shotgun shells. But it never ever works.

I type it and it tells me the usual "cheats not allowed. set sv_cheats 0 to 1 and restart" I do that, but then it doesn't work. No message, no nothing. Just... nothing happens. Other cheats work fine. Like god or impulse 9, and it doesn't say anything about not recognizing the command like usually happens when you type something into the console that it doesn't recognize. Obviously it recognized if it told me to change sv_cheats.

So whats up? Am I doing something wrong? Or is literally every website, including the official documentation for some of these source ports, wrong?

Hi Laughing Man
    I'm not a Darkplaces expert but when playing SP "give" always works for me with Proquake, QuakeSpasm, Qrack and Darkplaces. As a test,maybe try the following as it just worked perfectly for me:
    1. fire up DP,
    2. start a single player game,
    3. type sv_cheats 1 in console and press return,
    4. start another single player game
    5. type give 7 in console and press return

Does the Rocket launcher appear?

Hope this helps

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Well it kind of worked. I typed "Give 7" and apparently it gave me a rocket launcher, but no ammo for it. So I still couldn't use it. Ide hit the key and it would just say "No ammo" instead of "no weapon"

Does "give ammo" work on any of those source ports you mentioned?

Comment

Well that's progress as it suggests that there is nothing wrong with your quake engine.

You have successfully given yourself a weapon, but not given yourself any ammo. Try repeating the process and once you have the Rocket Launcher try the command give r 100 and 100 rockets should magically appear in your inventory. If I remember correctly, the table below should give you a summary of most of the items you can "give" yourself in the SP game.
        1 Axe
        2 Shotgun
        3 Double Shotgun
        4 Nailgun
        5 Super Nailgun
        6 Grenade Launcher
        7 Rocket Launcher
        8 Lighting Gun
        C Batteries (max) 255
        H Health (max) 32767
        N Nails (max) 255
        R Rockets (max) 255
        S Shotgun Shells (max) 255
        I believe give a 100 will add 100 to your armour but feel free to check

Of course, if you just want to run in "cheat" mode you could try entering impulse 9 in console (once you have a map loaded in a single player game) and pressing return. This should give you all SP weapons and full ammo

Hope this helps

Kind regards
        Monty
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 10-02-2020, 06:15 AM.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
        X