Quake locks up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake locks up

I've had inexplicable problems with my quake lately, so I reinstalled everything from scratch. I'm running glpro 3.50, and now, every 2 minutes or so, quake will lock up and I can't enter any commands for about 5 seconds. If i'm moving when the lock up starts, I will keep moving in that direction for the duration of the lock up, same if I'm shooting or whatever. anyone had this problem?

specs: Win XP sp3, AMD athlon 64 x2 4200+, 2gb ram, 250gb hard drive, radeon x1600 gpu, avast antivirus, zonealarm firewall

Originally posted by spooker View Post
    I've had inexplicable problems with my quake lately, so I reinstalled everything from scratch. I'm running glpro 3.50, and now, every 2 minutes or so, quake will lock up and I can't enter any commands for about 5 seconds. If i'm moving when the lock up starts, I will keep moving in that direction for the duration of the lock up, same if I'm shooting or whatever. anyone had this problem?

specs: Win XP sp3, AMD athlon 64 x2 4200+, 2gb ram, 250gb hard drive, radeon x1600 gpu, avast antivirus, zonealarm firewall
    If you want a real answer, you are going to need to be using Qrack, DarkPlaces or ProQuake 3.99 for your debugging.

I'm not going to invest one second in trying to figure out what ProQuake 3.50 bug is messing you up. I've fixed too many of those.

One you get it straightened out using a bug-fixed client, you can go back to PQ 3.50 and see if your problems are solved.

I'd recommend using Qrack for your experimentation.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

the thing is, glpro 3.50 has worked on this exact setup for years. i have no idea what has changed

Comment

Did you ever go messing that usb driver?
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

ya? same rig same cfg? Something must have changed. Baker suggests starting at Qrack, but, I'd suggest with PQ3.99 or FitzQuake, etc. As Qrack has some issues with old ATI cards.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

no hardware changes to my rig, and no software changes except the usual windows security updates and whatnot.

strange thing about this is that even with glpro 3.50, it only happens some of the times i run the application, but when it does happen it's very regular. it doesn't seem to happen in single player, though i can't be 100% sure of that yet, since as i said it only happens sometimes

qrack runs better than pq 3.99, which runs really jerky for me, as i posted in some other thread recently. i will try both and see what happens
            Last edited by spooker; 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Sounds like one of those wonderful ATI bugs. Did you update those drivers recently?
              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Try watching your Processes tab in Task Manager, have it sorted by either CPU or Memory usage and watch for anything in the background to all of a sudden spike to dramatic levels then return to normal. If you find nothing then I recommend testing other clients as suggested by Baker and r00k. When Quake stops running (in 2009) its usually something less technical (omg ATi is teh sucks,etc..) and more than likely something you've installed or adjusted outside of quake rather than a problem relating to quake..

every so often formatting is nice too. I used to despise fdisking but with the data dvd's its nothing to back everything up
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Wireless ethernet anywhere in the equation?
                  IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Maybe your antvirus or firewall had doesn't like quake anymore

Comment

hmm i dont think the ATI drivers were updated recently. thanks for the suggestions, i'll fiddle around with some things and get back to y'all

oh and metch, my internet is thru an ethernet cable, caveman style

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                        FitzQuake
                        I can't recommend FitzQuake for a situation like this. It just isn't as bug fixed as the others (it is very, very improved though). The cpu clock fix is vital in the age of dual and quad processors.

Plus for better or for worse, the new FitzQuake doesn't have years and years under it's belt and at Func new problems get noticed occasionally. Qrack has been stable for years and most of the problems are known and have been fixed.

I'm just saying ...
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Try running malwarebyte's anti-malware and spybot S&D. Go to start - run - msconfig and disable any useless crap... there are quite a few programs *cough* adobe *cough* that seem to want to run when your computer starts up.

Or maybe your processor just has a silicon absess? :p
                          e|------------------------0---------------
                          B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                          G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                          D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                          A|---------------0------------------------
                          E|----------------------------------------

Comment

silicon abscess, fu foker lol

okay updates. regarding switching to other clients, I've been using glproquake 3.50 for i think 10 years, and everytime i try switching to other clients it feels like a completely different game. so, i've got so much invested in glpro 3.50 that i dont think i can switch. haven't tried running other clients yet just for testing, but will do.

i figured out some more things about the problem. it comes and goes, even without me quitting and rebooting the program. when the lock up happens, I can change where i'm looking with the mouse, but apparently according to the server i will stay looking in the direction i was looking when the lock up started--so, if I'm shooting a rocket towards a wall when the freeze starts, i will keep shooting rockets in that direction throughout the freeze, even though i can use the mouse to look around. also, if people are chatting during the freeze or there are messages of people getting gibbed and whatnot, they will not appear during the freeze but instead will all appear right when the freeze ends.

thanks peoples. if i don't get this solved soon i think it will be a reformat, it has been over a year i think. oh and btw, i have affinity for glpro set to a single core
                            Last edited by spooker; 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM.

Comment

sounds like a connection issue. does this happen in single player? are you on wireless, do you get a lot of ddg?

Comment

Working...
                              X