No announcement yet.

mouse4, mouse5 support for MacProQuake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mouse4, mouse5 support for MacProQuake?

Ok, so I bought a Logitech M500 to use on my Apple PowerBook G4. After messing around with USB Overdrive and various sensitivity, m_yaw/pitch settings I've got it feeling pretty good. However, I can't get my 4th and 5th mouse buttons to work...is there a way to get these buttons working in Quake on a Mac?

I'm running the most recent version of MacProQuake.
    Last edited by crowpath; 07-13-2009, 02:54 AM.

I have a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 connected to my iMac, mouse4 and 5 work like a charm. Bring down the console and type bind mouse4 +attack

Then hit mouse4 and see if you shoot.

Comment

Dang, really? I've tried to bind both mouse4 and mouse5 multiple times and it doesn't respond in the game. Using USB Overdrive I've tried with mouse4/5 set to "fourth click/fifth click" and tried with them both set to "mouse click." I also tried setting them to a keystroke and then binding that keystroke in quake but that didn't work either.

Comment

You need this! I use it and it's awesome.

USB Overdrive 10.4.8 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker
        SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
        [email protected]
        AIM - EMHof1

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadful View Post
          Thanks for the link but I did mention in both my posts in this thread that I am already using USB Overdrive ( v10.4.8 ). Is there something I need to do in USB Overdrive to make it work...I mentioned a couple different settings I've tried in my original post.

Comment

I use 10.5.7 and I have never heard of USB overdrive. For me it just works - without any additional software.

Comment

So Claws, you're playing with the built in acceleration that macs have? I tried that a little when I first plugged in the mouse yesterday but the movement was pretty erratic in Quake even when I turned the sense down. I'm using USB Overdrive to turn that acceleration off.

Comment

Oh. =\

Fail!
                SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
                [email protected]
                AIM - EMHof1

Comment

Did you designate your buttons? In USB Overdrive, you should be able to choose a button number in the middle panel, then in a drop menu on the right, be able to select what it does. Make sure they are not selected as "do nothing". Also double check that overdrive is enabled at the top, it's a check box.

That's all I can think of that would be giving you problems, otherwise USB Overdrive should be doing wonders for you.
                  SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
                  [email protected]
                  AIM - EMHof1

Comment

crowpath: Yes I use the regular acc - which as you say suck. I have a sensitivity of 30 and I guess I have grown accustomed to it by now. I might check USB Overdrive out though. I've played ProQuake on a XP-box and it was alot smoother.

Thanks for the heads up, I wish I could help you more though. Have you tried another mouse, just to be sure?

Comment

Claws,

This is the only mouse I have with more than 3 buttons (and the only one that's USB too, other than my single button Mac mouse)...so I can't check it against another mouse.

As for USB Overdrive...I would definitely recommend checking it out. It didn't take me too long yesterday to tweak it just right to get it feeling good in the game. As soon as I was able to turn of the accel the mouse movement improved a lot in the game. Also, if you try it let me know if it caused a disruption in your mouse4/mouse5 use.

I guess if it comes down to it I'll just give this thing a try on the old PC I have sitting downstairs. It feels kind of awkward playing on a lap top anyway.

Comment

I got it working...I realized USB Overdrive was having no effect at all on the fourth and fifth buttons so I reinstalled the logitech drivers and found out the only way to get it to work was to remap the buttons to "keystrokes" in the LOGITECH driver software (I tried this in USB Overdrive and it had no effect) and then bind those keys in quake.

I still can't actually bind "mouse4" and "mouse5" in the Quake console but this work around functions all the same. I trashed the logitech software again and so far the mouse still remembers that it is mapped to the two keystrokes I chose. It's weird that USB Overdrive couldn't remap these two buttons on its own.

Comment

Had I seen this earlier, I could have told you that Mac ProQuake 3.99 has native support for mouse4 and mouse 5.

http://www.quakeone.com/proquake

The only other Mouse4/5 supporting Quake for OS/X is DarkPlaces.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Man, reading comprehension has failed a few times in this thread. I'm already using Mac ProQuake 3.99 (as stated in the original post) and I still can't bind mouse4/mouse5 with this mouse. It's all good though because I got keystrokes working.

PS- Baker, thanks for continuing to work on ProQuake!

Comment

Originally posted by crowpath View Post
                              Man, reading comprehension has failed a few times in this thread. I'm already using Mac ProQuake 3.99 (as stated in the original post) and I still can't bind mouse4/mouse5 with this mouse. It's all good though because I got keystrokes working.

PS- Baker, thanks for continuing to work on ProQuake!
                              You know, I really do get an F for read comprehension in this case.

I was tired, checking the forums and saw something and was trying to read all the posts to see if the problem was fixed.

Yes, I'd love to do another Mac ProQuake update. Maybe within a couple of weeks, but I keep saying that.
                              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                              X