Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quake and Vista ("has stopped working...")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake and Vista ("has stopped working...")

Okay, this has GOT to be the place where I can finally solve this frustrating problem. Yes, I'm using Vista. It's the 64bit version, and for some reason that I cannot figure out, whenever I try to play Quake in GL or D3D mode, it inevitably kicks me to windows with the message that the executable has stopped working. I've figured out that it's GOT to be something to do with GL or D3D, because I've actually managed to spend a couple hours on a server when playing in plainjane QW. However, I think we can all agree that while it is definitely wonderfully nostalgic, I'd like to play some people while running nicer textures and lighting. I got rid of opengl.dll first thing, because I haven't forgotten how that denies you even starting the program.

I've downloaded all manner of clients to try to solve the problem. EZQuake, FUHQuake, D3dQuake, glqwcl, TQ146... they all crash to Windows. It wouldn't be so bad if the damned system TOLD me why, but it just tells me they stopped working and the only option I have is to close it. I've got the latest drivers for my video card that I can find on the maker's site (ATI), I've got bare-minimum sound drivers.

I've searched tons of forums, including this one, and can't seem to find any solutions. Is there a program I can grab that will at the very least provide me with better information about the problem? Has anyone else had this happen with them, and if so, were you able to fix it?

I would appreciate any advice (beyond installing a different operating system).

Thank you.
    [CUiH]Fenris.

With those older clients like TQ I have seen this problem on the 64 bit systems. Try QRACK or Darkplaces and those problems will be over. There are links to these on the home page here , down in the lower right corner....

Comment

Thanks much, Cobalt. I'd already downloaded Dark Places but didn't think to try it as a multiplayer client. I'll also grab qrack.

I've also wondered if upgrading to Windows 7 would help. I've heard good things about it. Anyway, I'll try those solutions tonight, and thanks again. I'm so psyched to be back into Quake. Best game ever.

Comment

HEH, Windows 7.

History tells us
        Windows 95 -> Windows 98 -> Windows Me (Windows gets sexy here,coming from 3.11)
        Windows NT -> Windows 2000 -> Windows XP (Win2k and XP,best Windows to date)
        Windows Vista -> Windows 7. (I lol at Vista users,I however dont lol about DX10 )
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
        X