Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total noob (sorta), please hold my hand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total noob (sorta), please hold my hand...

Hello all...

I'm (obviously) new to this forum. I'm not much of a gamer these days, life just kinda catches up with you sometimes however, when Quake 1 came out (man, has it really been 10 years?) I was absolutely obsessed with it. In fact, I put together my own quake c compilation entitled Fear (long before the F.E.A.R. franchise) and thought about it for the first time in just as many years the other day. A quick Google search and I found the .txt file online as well as a few sites that still have it available for download and even some websites that had favorable reviews of the mod...and now I'm dying to play it again. I looked on eBay for a copy of Quake 1 but I'm not really interested in downgrading my computer 10 years just to relive some old times. I found WinQuake/ProQuake on this website and while it was great to waste some time playing the shareware version I'm really dying to play Quake with the Fear mod. What exactly would I need to run this? If I purchased a full version of Quake off eBay would it work with WinQuake/ProQuake? How would I go about running the mod with ProQuake? I'm sure this is as basic as it gets but the last time I played a game on a computer, not on a console, I was running out of DOS so I need everything spelled out for me. Thanks in advance.

If anyone ever played the Fear mod I would like to hear what you think. I was totally embarrassed reading the .txt file 10 years later now that I'm closer to 30 than I was 20 then.

Originally posted by Equalizing Distort
    I'm really dying to play Quake with the Fear mod. What exactly would I need to run this? If I purchased a full version of Quake off eBay would it work with WinQuake/ProQuake? How would I go about running the mod with ProQuake? I'm sure this is as basic as it gets but the last time I played a game on a computer, not on a console, I was running out of DOS so I need everything spelled out for me. Thanks in advance.
    Yeah, if you got Quake off of EBay it would work.

One thing you could do is go to http://freequake.quakeone.com and install the shareware version. The only difference between shareware and registered Quake is a single file named pak1.pak that goes in the c:\quake\id1 folder.

So if you have trouble with your Quake CD, after installing the FreeQuake stuff, you could just copy the pak1.pak from the CD into proper folder.

I'm not familiar with Fear, if it is a total conversion like QMatrix, you should be able to get JoeQuake to run it with just the shareware version of Quake.

Quake does work with Windows XP just fine, just not the ancient DOS quake.exe.

To run a mod with ProQuake:

c:\quake\glpro.exe -game fear // gl version

or

c:\quake\wqpro.exe -game fear // if you can't use GL for some reason
    Does this answer your question?
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I explain it all in the 9th post here

Comment

What is F.E.A.R.? Would this be a single player mod he is talking about? I've seen that name somewhere before a long time ago.
        www.Net-Tyme.com
        Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
        Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

baker and candian sniper. thanks for your help. i just made a shortcut for winquake to run fear and it looks like it will work once i can track down a full version (i forgot that the shareware version won't let you run modified games).

net-tyme, fear wasn't so much a mod as it was a compilation of a bunch of different weapons and features made by others and a good amount i made myself. it wasn't by any means a conversion or something similiar that totally changed the gameplay. you can download it here if you want to check it out: http://files.gameaholic.com/cgi-sql/file-info.sql/11005. looking around on here it's so dated compared to some of the things that people are still doing with the source code but at the time, when you would run a patch just to be able to use a flamethrower, it was pretty cool to have everything all in one.

there's absolutely no similarity to the game f.e.a.r. that came out much later.

Comment

I personally preferred the Killer Quake Pack over Fear, though I found Fear first... Both are rather overwhelming in content though... Nonetheless fun. Didnt Fear have a conback of a person whod been mauled by a dog?

Quake.exe is a DOS executable by all means, it didnt even work quite right in Windows95 and 98 (timing issues, watch it speed up and slow down at random), hence, WinQuake. And then GLQuake. And then others.
            Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

haha. wow, 10 years later and i'm still living in the shadow of howard roy and his killer quake compilation. :d i believe the conback was a picture of a woman who had been caught in an escalator. haha. i was 17 at the time, please take that into consideratoin. there was also a message at the start up which was an email that i had recieved from howard roy accusing me of ripping off killer quake. KQP being one of, it not thee, first compilation of projects people were making when quake c was first released, i think howard was very protective of his KQP crown. after a series of completely ridiculous emails from howard (even a campaign some fanboy started coming to boycott fear in howard's defense) i put it there to taunt him but in the end i think people either thought the patch was ganked by howard and the message included or that i was conceeding defeat. personally, it was all just fun and games to me. i just made the comp. for fun and mess around with the source. i'm glad to see that you still remember both of them. i believe the wicked quake patch was another one of the popular compilations.

just reading the txt file now i can totally see when you mean when you use the word "overwhelming." like i said though, at the time, i was 17 and it's like when you get a whole bag full of candy on halloween, you try and eat it all at once. the phrase "less is more" isn't really on your radar then. i don't know if i would appreciate it now even but at the time i just wanted to include everything i could into the game. also, one of the goals i did have when making fear was to make it a lot less "sci fi" than killer quake and a lot of the other mods that people were making. more shotguns, pipe bombs, and trip wires less laser beams and flying discs.

anyway, i'm glad to see everyone here has kept quake 1 alive. i'm looking forward to trying out all of the new mods that people have made over the years. i have a lot of catching up to do.

Comment

Oh snap, wasnt aware that was you =)

I think I just found KQP to be a little more organized, and your comments regarding KQP, what you meant to be playing around, gave me the impression that you were just ripping him off and so I didnt want to support such ripping - that and I got tired of having to see if my mom was paying attention before I pulled down the console due to the conback (I was... 13? I dont recall my exact age, but younger than you).

In retrospect, I do appreciate your efforts to make it less scifi, as KQP was very scifi and only really felt in place in the basemaps... I am reminded of a weapon idea I had earlier this year.... Dammit now I wish once more that I could model and code! Yes it is a grisly idea ; ) As all of mine are, just ask the #qc and #darkplaces community.
                Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Working...
                X