How do you get Quoth to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get Quoth to work?

I've been using ProQuake and DarkPlaces, for maps too big for ProQuake, and I followed the instructions for downloading Quoth, but there doesn't seem to be any way to run the PAK files. Can someone give a full, step by step instruction guide on how to run Quoth? The instructions on the site are completely unhelpful.

All they say is "
    Note that when you run the pak, add to your quake engine command line:..."

This is really unclear.

Start up Quake as such ...

c:\quake\yourquake.exe -game quoth -hipnotic +map whatever
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...html#post57436

Comment

Use DirectQ.

Go to the "Select Game Directories" menu.

Select "On" for the "Quoth" option.

Select any other games you want (e.g. "Warpspasm") on the "Game Directory" line, or leave it at "ID1" if you just want classic Quake with Quoth gameplay.

Hit "Load Selected Games and Add-Ons".

Wait half a minute or so for things to load and settle down.

Open the "Load a Map" menu.

Select the map you want to run.

Why do more engines not do this?
        Attached Files
        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Because the Quake Injector is much better.
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by mhquake View Post
            Use DirectQ.

Go to the "Select Game Directories" menu.

Select "On" for the "Quoth" option.

Select any other games you want (e.g. "Warpspasm") on the "Game Directory" line, or leave it at "ID1" if you just want classic Quake with Quoth gameplay.

Hit "Load Selected Games and Add-Ons".

Wait half a minute or so for things to load and settle down.

Open the "Load a Map" menu.

Select the map you want to run.

Why do more engines not do this?
            I'm a pure utilitarian -- ease of use over all because if it isn't easy, it won't be used -- and although that is advanced, I'm not sure that it is easy.

That's a lot of steps to communicate to a newbie and what I mean is that if they aren't a newbie, then they already know how to do it the old fashioned way.

I guess what I am saying is that if it takes a paragraph to explain, it isn't user-friendly enough.

Obviously, I'm against tons of menus. In fact, I convinced LordHavoc in early 2007 to heavily reduce the menus in DarkPlaces (it had like 50-60 options in one of the menus, many of which no one used so you could get lost in the menus) and he thinned it down to 14 or 15.

Speaking of menus, when ezQuake switched over to the mouse driven menus that have infinite options, upon infinite options, I thought it was "bad". An explosion of complexity of the menu system is a bad idea; FuhQuake had short, sweet and simple menus.

Yes, this is mini-rant but I always thought Quake's menu had 3 options too few (mouselook, crosshair, fov needed in there) and Half-Life got the menu just about right with only just enough options and all the ones you were looking for.

/Useless post of mine? Maybe.

Anyway, I think something like the Quake Injector is really required to make mods easy to start for newbies and novices because neither the engine nor the mod "know" how to start the mod, so a 3rd party database of command line parameters and settings is necessary.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

there's also a nice utility named Patman. I have it on my website - Quake page if someone has interest. Basically you locate your Quake engine, then the tool detects the installed mod, select one, select a map, select the skill, then go !
              What Does Not Kill You, Makes You Stronger

Comment

It might be possible to add extra informations in the bsp file so engines could load the appropriate stuff.
                engine: quore.free.fr

Comment

open the .zip file and read the readme(s) does work with other maps and mods too.
                  You will also get information like the recommended engine...

Comment

I really like
                    the rubble
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Working...
                    X