Getting Blender models into quake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Blender models into quake?

Hey guys, I'm working on some models, and I was wondering if anyone had the plugin required for exporting the right filetypes for Quake 1? (MDL i believe)

All i could find was this plugin in this tutorial and it seems to not work with blender 2.62

Inside3d Forums :: View topic - Making a Quake MDL in Blender: for dummies, NOT TOTAL MORONS

Rofl, not total morons
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I think you can export to SMD or MD3, or even OBJ, then use NOESIS to convert them to mdl.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
        I think you can export to SMD or MD3, or even OBJ, then use NOESIS to convert them to mdl.
        Yep, i had Noesis and didn't even realize it could do that, works very well for Q1 so far.

Comment

Got another problem, have no idea how to export my model with a texture when I'm taking it out of blender.

Comment

You can use Sajt's converter QWALK to create MDLs complete with skin, if you export your Blender model to MD3 (!) and also export the skin from Blender to TGA.

Qwalk can convert an md3 to mdl and use a skin that you point it to (command line switch, read qwalk docs please).

You might have to download md3 export scripts for Blender from the net.

That's what I do. It's practical.

You create a skin in Blender by UV unwrapping the model, and then using an option that prints the UV outline on an image you created (in Blender as well). You export the image with the UV on it as a TGA and tell QWalk to use that as the skin.

This gives you a MDL with a skin that shows only the triangles' outlines. Like here:

You can modify the skin image in GIMP etc to make it look like you want.

You could also load the QWalk-generated MDL into QME and modify the skin from there (Wally is another good program to make skins).

Remember the top left pixel of a MDL skin must be black, or some engines won't load it.

You need to create seams before you can UV unwrap properly!! Best watch a few tutorials on that. Seams are yellow in the first image.

Sajt's page at icculus might be down, if so just PM him at inside3d.

I don't know how you can get skins on your model in Noesis. You could ask Dick/Rich in #qc at irc.anynet.org.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Thanks man, it worked.

Now I just gotta make a texture, and I'm no texture artist

Comment

Did you read and follow the footnotes?

A SUPER CRITICALLY IMPORTANT NOTE note: your model MUST BE TEXTURED via TEXTURE ASSIGNMENT and NOT by material assignment. To assign a texture, you have to select all vertices/faces/edges in Edit Mode (just press the A key to select all), then select a texture in the UV/Image Editor panel.
                WARNING
                May be too intense for some viewers.
                Stress Relief Device
                ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                ---------------------------
                .--------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
                  Did you read and follow the footnotes?

A SUPER CRITICALLY IMPORTANT NOTE note: your model MUST BE TEXTURED via TEXTURE ASSIGNMENT and NOT by material assignment. To assign a texture, you have to select all vertices/faces/edges in Edit Mode (just press the A key to select all), then select a texture in the UV/Image Editor panel.
                  I didn't use that tut as I couldn't even get the mdl exporter to work.

Comment

I think the textures have to be targa format
                    WARNING
                    May be too intense for some viewers.
                    Stress Relief Device
                    ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                    ---------------------------
                    .--------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
                      I think the textures have to be targa format
                      Yeah, what you see is the texture, I was just following golden_boy's tutorial.

I wish I knew how to make a decent texture

Comment

Working...
                      X