Quake 1: How to Allow More Ram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1: How to Allow More Ram?

Hi, I was curious how to allow more ram upon start up in the command line, this is for my PSP, so I'm not sure if the command is different than the default -mem XX option. I have tried -pspmem and -winmem, but it still says it's using 14 mb of ram. If anyone is curious, I'm using GLQuake and Proquake for the PSP.
    Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jastolze

Quake.exe -mem 128

or

Quake.exe -heapsize 131072

replace Quake.exe with your preferred client, using a shortcut to your EXE file like this one, make the changes in the properties of the shortcut

there is an example where the cmd variables go
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

PSP as in playstation pro?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
        PSP as in playstation pro?
        Playstation Portable
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
          Quake.exe -mem 128

or

Quake.exe -heapsize 131072

replace Quake.exe with your preferred client, using a shortcut to your EXE file like this one, make the changes in the properties of the shortcut

there is an example where the cmd variables go
          Thanks, I haven't tried -heapsize but I know for a fact the shortcut thing won't work as I'm playing on a Playstaion Portable and I don't believe I can create shortcuts on it. I'll try the heapsize thing though

Comment

I'm not sure any of the PSP engine honor memory command lines. The original PSP Quake on a PSP Phat had only a grand total of 32MB available in total and about 12 MB was used for overhead so that's a mere 20 MB of available memory. Due to such a limitation, little point in honor a command line. Note: Some of the PSP engines read a command line from a "quake.cmdline" file.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

@Baker
              Thanks, I actually use the .cmdline file, and that's where I tried using the -mem and -game commands. The game command works, but the mem command does nothing. I know there is a winmem command for windows, but doesn't work here. Also, the PSP that I own has 64 MB ram total, if that makes any difference. I appreciate all the help, that's why I always ask here first!
              If anyone here owns a psp or anything, it would be helpful

Comment

I'm sure when the port of Q1 engine to PSP occured they kept the minimal PSP phat's hardware in mind. I take it you also noticed a undeniable bit of lag when playing PSP-Quake ???? I never got PSP Quake to run smoothly , then again I'm using PC performance as a guideline. Maybe if I was used to 1996 Quake performance I would be wow'd..

I couldn't get PSP N64 emulation to play smoothly either which was a real bummer. I totally play SNES/Sega Genesis on my PSP when we go on trip's.
                Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 03-29-2012, 02:13 PM.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                  I'm sure when the port of Q1 engine to PSP occured they kept the minimal PSP phat's hardware in mind. I take it you also noticed a undeniable bit of lag when playing PSP-Quake ???? I never got PSP Quake to run smoothly , then again I'm using PC performance as a guideline. Maybe if I was used to 1996 Quake performance I would be wow'd..

I couldn't get PSP N64 emulation to play smoothly either which was a real bummer. I totally play SNES/Sega Genesis on my PSP when we go on trip's.
                  Regarding the N64 emulation: Have you tried the most recent beta's? They update to a new version at least once a week (maybe twice) and it runs games like Super Mario 64 faster than on the actual n64 itself. The game I'm disappointed about would have to be Goldeneye 007. It runs about 12-15 fps in large areas.
                  You can check here for compatibility reasons: DaedalusX64.com •
                  They have at least more than half the games running.

Comment

Originally posted by jastolze View Post
                    Regarding the N64 emulation: Have you tried the most recent beta's? They update to a new version at least once a week (maybe twice) and it runs games like Super Mario 64 faster than on the actual n64 itself. The game I'm disappointed about would have to be Goldeneye 007. It runs about 12-15 fps in large areas.
                    You can check here for compatibility reasons: DaedalusX64.com •
                    They have at least more than half the games running.
                    thats some awesome news bro

Comment

Working...
                    X