Quake 1.06 and Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1.06 and Vista

Hello! After about 10+ years I have finally done what I wanted to do, reacquire Quake. I bought the disc version off of Amazon and it is version 106. But to my absolute horror I had so much difficulty and confusion in getting in to run on Vista. I finally installed DOSBox 0.74 and after much difficulty it looked like I was going to get it to run. It did but it was ridiculously slow and unplayable. My PC does have some problems right now but thats kinda the whole reason I finally decided to pursue my goals of getting Quake and other classic ID shooters on PC at last/again. Is their a way to get Quake to work correctly on Vista without downloading any Mods or other programs?

Before getting into the many Quake mods I was hoping to play and experience the original Quake again, old graphics, music and all. So far the best perk to my purchase of Quake is the nice digipack packaging. I expected problems and getting a form of DOSBox but I thought It would be easily fixed.

Any help fellow Quake fans?

Don't use supplied EXE's. Install Quake, then delete opengl32.dll from your quake folder.

Install any of these modern clients and use the provide EXE's from the client of choice.

QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection - Quake 1 File Downloads - Quake Clients <--- there they are, if you want updates versions seek thee out via forum search or google search.

The original EXE's CAN be used, but thats your own "supplied" headache by going that route. Modern engines can either deliver updates graphics or tried and true "vanilla" looking quake. What ever floats your boat bro
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I actually found and installed WinQuake just now after much of a headache indeed trying to get the original EXEs to work. Now my menus and health/inventory bars are abnormally small but it seems to runs pretty okay through WinQuake!

I just figured it was the closest I could to playing the original Quake before moving on to the numerous new clients. I will definitely be bookmarking those clients! Now I'm gonna run through those slipgates and blast some ogres!

EDIT: So happy to be playing Quake again! Awesome memories are flooding back!
      Last edited by Grievous; 05-04-2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

That stuff is fully customizable, you're just gonna need to step away from any OLD clients and set the client up via its options menu!

When you say Winquake if you're talking about is from 1997 then you didn't do it right

Download a new client like ProQuake 4.51 or DirectQ. Any updates client = more features
        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Yeah I got Winquake from 97...hehe...I play on trying newer clients as soon as I'm finished with playing the standard single-player episodes. There is so many clients to choose from! I will try out ProQuake next. Its difficult to pick a starting point.

Comment

If you want to just play unaltered quake on a modern os winquake is not the best option. Check this guide at quaddicted.

There are some nuance differences between software and gl renderer.
            If you are using original textures where every pixel counts you'll get better colors, contrast and details when you use an engine that can emulate software mode.
            Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

Get windows 7 or ubuntu and use quakespasm.
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I will have Windows 7 someday! Right now I'm stuck with what I have. I think Winquake is great so far however that guide is even better Smith! Thank you. I see people talking about ubuntu everywhere now. Is it a new OS?

Now only If i can get joining a multiplayer game right! Hehe. I'm either looking at the wrong servers to join or typing it in wrong. But I'm more of a single-player guy anyways.

Comment

Thats the inherit proble you're going to find by using that dusty old Peice of.....

WinQuake that your using = Fail. I can not express how imparitive it is to use winproquake451 or ANY modern winquake variant.

Keep using a 1997 executable, You're gonna keep getting 1997 fn problems.

/face palm self multiple times for good measure.

You could be succumbing to the NAT problem,that was squashed originally by Yugo2hecK, and later on by engine authors.

The more you use that client the more you're gonna find you shoulda just downloaded a new client (hint hint : http://quakeone.com/proquake/ , the top right green button Download it, extract it to your quake folder. start using WQPRO451.exe , it looks 100% like Winquake.

Comment

Oh its THAT bad? I'm really ignorant on the matter hehe, the last time I played Quake was on a Windows 95 computer that ran it out of the box. Updating immediately!

Comment

Yes it's that bad!! And since you want to retain the software look of quake (but also want to enjoy it online possibly) , its definately in the realm of ProQuake's software engine variant.

Comment

Ok then looks like ProQuake it is. Once I get "bored" of the software look I will move on to newer things like DarkPlaces and such(I probably check out anything that is popular). But I just want to have the software look for nostalgic sake for the moment!

I can already tell I'm going to have a great time playing Quake again.

Comment

Hi there
                          I'm new to this board but I'm having the same problems with Quake not running on a Vista PC. Do ProQuake and the others work for the single player game as well or just for online play? I don't have the time to play online. Never mind that I lack the *skill*. Thanks

Comment

Yes Bill.

FitzQuake
                            QuakeSpasm
                            DirectQ
                            DarkPlaces
                            Qrack
                            ProQuake

other alternatives.
                            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Online play does not take skill. Us more skilled players would enjoy any new comers. The more people the better....

Comment

Working...
                              X