Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Engine problems, how to switch etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Engine problems, how to switch etc...

Ive just re-installed QUake, and im using Proquake engine right now. I used to have a nifty program in whihc i could choose the engine. I don't have that anymore and in this engine, the game's animations are really slow, it makes the game boring...

My question is, which engine should i use and how do i switch to it?

It would probably assist people to help you if you provided a little more information on what you are looking for in a client. e.g are you looking for a graphically rich single player experience or do you prefer slimmed down fast paced multiplayer action, what can your gaming machine handle, etc, etc. If you help them to help you you are more likely to get the information you seek

However, you only have to look around this site to find multiple engines (enginex, qrack, darkplaces, FTE, DirectQ, etc) each with their own pluses and minuses depending on what you're looking for.

Personally, I have an old computer and Proquake, EngineX and Qrack work very well for my humble needs. If you are lucky enough to have something more powerful then perhaps you could get the full benefit from Darkplaces and the numerous enhancement packs available on this site.

Kind regards

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Start with DirectQ, use it abuse it and work it.
      If u still need more then branch out. Try FitzQuake or QuakeSpasm, then dp/fte etc...

IMHO DQ will be all u really need.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
        Start with DirectQ, use it abuse it and work it.
        DirectQ is easily most solid engine:

1. Runs pretty much on everything
        2. Does multiplayer NetQuake as well as ProQuake
        3. Does single player as well as FitzQuake
        4. Really solidly written and molded
        5. No hardware requirements
        6. Modern conveniences (no command lines, command history, stupid stuff fixed, etc.)

It should be everyone's starting Quake engine (if using Windows). Then go for something else if you want "fancy".
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

and more FPS than you can shake a stick at.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
          X