open gl for win 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open gl for win 7?

i have win 7, and i can't play any quake client that uses open gl as the renderer. is there a driver i can downlad or am i screwed?
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Windows7 supports GL out of box.

Give as much details as humanly possible.

Onboard gpu?add on video card?

drivers up to date?

delete opengl32.dll from Quake folder ???
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

im missing open gl 32. where can i get it?
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

you dont want it/hence why I said delete it (if you had it)

Did you ignore all of my post except the one part that was frivolous?

wups / mixed up threads
        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 05-25-2012, 08:10 PM.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

OpenGL works perfectly on Windows 7. It's nothing to do with Windows 7 and everything to do with your graphics card driver, so if you don't have OpenGL support you need to upgrade your graphics card driver.

You never told us what card you have - as soon as you do so we will be able to help you get this working. If you don't tell us, we won't. So tell us!
          IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dont put opengl32.dll in your /quake folder.

Well, not for Qrack at least. Qrack deters this, as hacked .dlls in the quake folder override the system's openGL lib, and we cant have that!
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I think I am part of this thread. I recently had the open32gl dll driver removed as well...as I am trying to connect to servers and so forth. I had Joe Quake running and it wouldnt load dm3.bsp on the server I connected to...so unsure about that. But now, I cannot even play a gl client. Maybe its because I need the full version of Quake? I downloaded quake 1.06 beta? Not sure. I havnt played this game for 12 years and before that, I was playing on erols servers.. Anyway, I am running windows 7 and my video card is a ATI Radeon HD 5700 series and it has been recently updated. so what now?

Comment

Whats needed the most from you? Information..
                ------------------------------------------------------------------
                pak0.pak & pak1.pak = full blown quake.

just pak0.pak = shareware quake.

Look in your Quake\ID1\ folder, it you only see pak0.pak your running shareware. This is highly unrecommended. I'm headed out into town or else I would probably have more to offer..... (I do,just under time restraints.)
                Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 06-14-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Im running shareware! If I purchase here, does that help support this forum and site?

Comment

no, Purchase off of Steam of you really wish to.

or PM me,and that ni??a on the corner will take care of your needs.

Comment

Steam is a fair place to start for 5$
                      U stil have to modernize your cfg and choose a modern client
                      Though with Ati cards I would recommend DirectQ.
                      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Radeons are perfectly capable of running OpenGL well, although the GL calls that Quake uses don't sit well with them - they're highly inefficient for modern hardware and very much tuned for 1996-era workstation accelerators and 3dfx boards. A semi-modernized GL renderer can easily go twice as fast and without random hitches/stalls/spikes.

You say you updated your driver recently. Was that a real AMD-provided driver, one from Windows update, one from your machine's manufacturer's website or a hacked-up/overclocked "community" driver? This will have bearing on the root cause of your problem.
                        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

@MH. Just for informational purposes ... DarkPlaces crashes my new Win7 laptop hard most of the time (ATI Radeon).

@ the thread topic:

I think it is a bit silly in an age with the marvelous DirectQ (since 2009), a D3D DarkPlaces available (since 2011?), a D3D FTEQW (since a long time ago) and ProQuake (since 2007)/Engine X (since 2010) available for Direct3D (plus other engine at quakeone.com/mh ) to be looking for an OpenGL engine.

Why?

If they don't work, use one the does. None of these D3D engines are a secret.

/One opinion.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

DarkPlaces D3D version?? Did I miss something? Am I under a rock?

edit, I tried turning on the dx9 renderer, and I blowed up my DarkPlaces.
                            Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 06-15-2012, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X