Guide: Quake 1 on Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide: Quake 1 on Steam

The version of Quake purchased through steam is very out of date. While acceptable for a Single-Player experience, those wishing to play online should avail themselves of this guide for setting up and playing the Steam Version of Quake for online play BEFORE asking on the forums what has already been asked.

The Quake Program is extremely outdated, you will need to run one of the custom game engines that have been produced over the years instead of the one that comes with Quake in order to play online.

Getting Quake
    on steam
    • Buy Quake from Steam
    • Download your Engine of choice. (Recommended engines listed below)
    • Install it into the Quake Folder under steam or your chosen steam library: most commonly located at Steam\steamapps\common\Quake
    • It is successfully installed when the engine program is sitting in the same directoy alongside your quake.exe and q95.bat
    • To play Quake you will NOT actually run THE Quake on your steam list, but rather run the engine you installed - See below.

Recommended Engines:
    • The Darkplaces Engine - This will give you a higher quality experience for high end PCs, bringing Quake's graphics slightly more in-line with modern gaming.
      Verdict: If you like eye-candy this is the way to go.
    • The ProQuake4 Engine - This will give you a more classic experience, more in-line with how original quake was, without any of the bugs or compatablity problems that come from the old versions.
      Verdict: If you are an oldschool Quaker and want to focus on the online game itself, this is the way to go.

Other Engines:

Running Quake FROM Steam
    With the Steam Overlay and other features enabled
    1. Go to your Steam Library, at the bottom corner of the window you will see an "+ ADD A GAME" link. Open that.
    2. Open the Add a Non-Steam Game... dialogue that pops up.
    3. Click the browse button and locate the Engine program file you downloaded. Select it and click Open.
    4. Click Add Selected Programs
    5. The program should be on your Steam Library list. Right Click it, go to Properties.
    6. The name of the program will display at the top. You can change that to whatever you want your Steam Friends to see as the game you are playing. It is recommended you use something recognizable like Quake: Darkplaces Engine or Quake: Proquake but it is entirely up to you.

Optional - Set up your Desktop Icon: Right click on the engine in your steam library, click Create Desktop Shortcut. Now you are able to play the game, in the right engine, with the Steam Overlay enabled, straight from your desktop.

Playing MODS
    With the Steam Overlay and other features enabled
    (Note: This process is often unnecessary in the Darkplaces engine thanks to the mods menu feature it provides, but these steps are provided regardless, especially for users of other engines.)
    1. Install the mod into your Quake Folder. If the unzipping worked properly you should see a new folder inside your Quake Folder, for example: Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\ARENA or FORTRESS or whatever the mod you wanted to install was.
    2. Repeat the steps above for adding a non-steam game to the Steam Library. Right click on the created item on your Steam List and go to Proprieties.
    3. In the TARGET box you will see the game in quotes. Outside of those quotes, add -game Fortress or -game Fortress or whatever the folder name of the mod you are attempting to play as. This will prompt the engine to use the mod instead of default quake, which is the ID1 folder.

Common Problems
    With the Steam Version

It works! ... but I can't connect to any servers!
    1. Make sure windows firewall isn't blocking your ports or the engine EXE from internet access.
    2. Make sure your router's firewall isn't blocking your ports or the engine EXE from internet access.

Steam says Quake is installed, but don't see the folder under common!
    Did it get installed to a steam library instead? Every drive on your computer can have it's own steam library. Sometimes people accidently install to another drive and not realize it. If so it could be under SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Quake on a separate drive!

Q & A
    Question and Answer (you can skip this)

Q: Why the steam version?
    A: Once you buy a game on steam it is bound to your account. No matter what computer you log onto, it will have your copy ready to download legally. Once you accept this cloud-based distribution your days of rummaging around for the disc or downloading it illegally because you know you own it but you can't find it are gone for good.

Q: Why buy Quake? Arn't there free alternative packages that let me play online?
    A: Once purchased on steam you will legally own the product, you can take pride in the fact that you now own a copy of one of the greatest games ever made. Furthermore although ID Software is not continuing Quake One, it's right they get paid for the product they created.

Q: Steam uses too many system resources! It's a piece of crap.
    A: (Warning, argumentative reply coming)
    Point 1: Most modern (from the last few years) PCs won't flinch even a bit at the meager resource usage of base steam. For a vast majority of people, it's not an issue placing you in the minority.
    Point 2: That's a personal opinion. It works flawlessly for a number of gamers FAR outweighing this small community, so it's very possible the problem is with you or an experience unique to you. If you are referring to the pisspoor outdated versions it comes with... it's still better than the old CD version of quake, a least the steam version runs on Windows 7 and up without any extra downloads! (I'm looking at you WINQUAKE).

Q: I {love/hate} you for this post and want to {play with you/cuss you out} you {nice person/steam loving asshat}. PLUS PARTS OF IT ARE WRRONG!
    You can catch me on my website or on steam. Present me with additional info or corrections, I'll strive to keep this post as accurate as possible.
    Last edited by Zaric; 05-08-2013, 11:02 AM.
Working...
X