Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why i canīt connect with a friend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why i canīt connect with a friend?

    Hi. Iīve had a problem with Quake. Basically i connect sometimes with my cousins in quake multiplayer when we are in the same local network. I use a Mac, my cousins a PC, i've had play without errors. But when i try to connect with a friend that lives like 30 Km away from me doesnīt connect. Appears this message: No response. We copy the IP exactly as it is. We have tried Hamachi. We have tried that i create the server. We have tried that he create the server. Nothing... Just a message that says No response. ŋSomeone know what happen and how to solution it?

    (Sorry for my bad English)

  • #2
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8[/ame]
    try creating a dedicated server
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

    syluxman2803

    Comment


    • #3
      You're a Mac and your cousin's a PC? I wonder how you both sort your issues out, sounds like you're both having trouble being compatible.

      Comment


      • #4
        nahuel offers the best (only) solution here I believe, just create your own dedicated server then have your friend connect to that dedicated server.

        I'm not really sure about Macs though the last time I used one was in school years ago so I wouldn't know about any specific Mac setups but check into setting up a dedicated server.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

        QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

        Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

        Comment


        • #5
          Check your friend's firewall settings.
          'Replacement Player Models' Project

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Grim Warlock View Post
            You're a Mac and your cousin's a PC? I wonder how you both sort your issues out, sounds like you're both having trouble being compatible.
            No. The problem is wit my friend. My cousins and i play without trouble

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              nahuel offers the best (only) solution here I believe, just create your own dedicated server then have your friend connect to that dedicated server.

              I'm not really sure about Macs though the last time I used one was in school years ago so I wouldn't know about any specific Mac setups but check into setting up a dedicated server.

              Thatīs what i do. I open multiplayer, create a server and when my friend tries to connect apperas the No response message

              Comment


              • #8
                you didnt create a dedicated server
                you need to redefine what "dedicated server" is
                http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tml#post148145
                the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

                syluxman2803

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi Master Hand,
                  If you are able to connect to each others internal IP address and play happily on a local LAN this suggests that Quake is working as it should. It sounds as though the problem seems to occur when you want a friend to join the same server with the same setup using your external IP address from a remote location, is this correct?

                  If so, then it sounds like Planet 9 was correct and you need to revisit your firewall(s) and/or router to allow your friend connect from the outside world to the external IP address of your server. Unfortunately for you most netquake engines don't have an option (as far as I am aware) to enable you to use just one port through your firewall. It would be a useful addition but I've not seen this implemented outside of QuakeWorld engines produced by Spike (all Hail). Instead it appears that Netquake requires any one of a whole range of ports. From what I understand your Quake Client will try to connect to your server (usually on port 26000) and then once the connection is accepted it can use multiple other different ports to communicate back and forth with the clients trying to connect to it. For this reason you will need to ensure that Quake can access whatever ports it needs through your firewall(s).

                  Alternatively you can all just connect to one of the existing free servers that are already running, tested and waiting for you to play on them

                  If you are in europe then for vanilla Quake I would suggest trying the Damage or QRF servers. If you are in the USA then FFANY, Rage or CRMod might be a good place to try and connect. For more information try Efess's excellent live server browser or the (server list )

                  Hope this helps

                  Monty
                  Last edited by Mr.Burns; 03-03-2017, 04:14 PM.
                  Mr.Burns
                  WWW: QuakeOne | Q1 File Repo | Quake Terminus|EuroQuake, You Tube: QuakeVoid
                  Servers: flanders.servequake.com | newyork.servequake.com ports 26000-6 & 10 | damage.servequake.com
                  NEWS : The new Quakeone file repo is now available, so click here to satisfy all your Quake 1 multiplayer needs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    fte, dp, qss, and markv are all supposed to feature single-server-ports (ish - fte defaults to both 26000(for nq) and 27500(for qw) simultaneously, but hey, either works in isolation, and ipv4 vs ipv6 sockets are always fun).

                    if you set sv_public 1; start a map, and then get your friend to use the serverbrowser (assuming they're using the same engine with the same protocols and master servers), then the heartbeats should punch open a firewall hole in any routers that are voip-friendly, allowing your mate to just directly connect.
                    obviously there's no guarentees that your firewall/router will permit it, but the less secure home routers should.
                    failing that, you can try fte with sv_port_natpmp set to ROUTERIPHERE:5351, at least if it's mac-friendly anyway.
                    upnp-igp is a vile monstrosity that noone should have to deal with, but unfortunately the mac-unfriendly routers insist on it and I don't know of any engines that are willing to put up with that defective mess (and routers tend to not support/permit half the spec, or just interpret it randomly in an attempt to revive some modicum of security).

                    but yeah, with any of the 4 above engines, you should be able to just set up simple port forwarding on your firewall/router. other engines will require DMZ (read: potentially up to 48k different ports, more if you consider other operating systems, with DMZ being 'I give up, here have everything the router doesn't recognise'). And if you're stuck behind a cgnat or some other router out of your control then you're screwed and will just have to join someone else's servers. You should be able to find ones configured for coop as well as deathmatch.
                    Some Game Thing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                      Hi Master Hand,
                      If you are able to connect to each others internal IP address and play happily on a local LAN this suggests that Quake is working as it should. It sounds as though the problem seems to occur when you want a friend to join the same server with the same setup using your external IP address from a remote location, is this correct?

                      If so, then it sounds like Planet 9 was correct and you need to revisit your firewall(s) and/or router to allow your friend connect from the outside world to the external IP address of your server. Unfortunately for you most netquake engines don't have an option (as far as I am aware) to enable you to use just one port through your firewall. It would be a useful addition but I've not seen this implemented outside of QuakeWorld engines produced by Spike (all Hail). Instead it appears that Netquake requires any one of a whole range of ports. From what I understand your Quake Client will try to connect to your server (usually on port 26000) and then once the connection is accepted it can use multiple other different ports to communicate back and forth with the clients trying to connect to it. For this reason you will need to ensure that Quake can access whatever ports it needs through your firewall(s).

                      Alternatively you can all just connect to one of the existing free servers that are already running, tested and waiting for you to play on them

                      If you are in europe then for vanilla Quake I would suggest trying the Damage or QRF servers. If you are in the USA then FFANY, Rage or CRMod might be a good place to try and connect. For more information try Efess's excellent live server browser or the (server list )

                      Hope this helps

                      Monty
                      Thanks a lot. My firewall is desactivated. But i donīt know if my friendīs firewall is desactivated. Im going to try ask him.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X