Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local multiplayer not working in Quakespasm (Linux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local multiplayer not working in Quakespasm (Linux)

For a while now, I've been trying to get Quakespasm multiplayer up and running between two Linux boxes, but it hasn't been working. If I try to host a non-dedicated server on either machine, they won't connect. I tried hosting a dedicated server on one machine, and that didn't work either. Both clients claim to have the IP address 127.0.1.1, if that helps.

Any info is appreciated.

127.0.1.1 ? o.O
    that's not a real address, at least not one that can route anywhere. and its not the normal one either so I'm going to assume a typo. either way its not a usable IP address.

127.*.*.* is reserved for 'localhost', don't try to use that to connect to another machine, it won't even reach your network device.
    /sbin/ifconfig will hopefully list some other IP addresses that might work a bit better. 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* or something, those are the private LAN addresses. other addresses might be subject to hairpin or nat issues, so its generally best to stick to the private ones, if they're on the same lan anyway.

if you've got a (software) firewall or any kind of nat between you, then yeah, good luck with that - either disable it or use my quakespasm fork (aka QSS) that rewrites much of the networking so that you only need a single port open ( http://triptohell.info/moodles/qss/q...m-spike-r7.zip ). Also supports ipv6, for even more addresses that might not work!

You might need to use -ip 0.0.0.0 with the older clients so that they actually accept packets to interfaces other than the single one it auto-detects, though that may be just a windows thing. it may still be needed if you have weird routes, but that's usually not a problem because it confuses everything else too.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

That totally worked, thanks!
      Do you know of a way to get the clients to show the machine's actual IP addresses? Or should I just have the IP on hand?

Comment

getting the local machine's IP address is system specific with no real standard, which means engines tend to only support the microsoft way, and even then they only report the first.
        fteqw does show all of them... including ipv6, link local addresses, qw ports, nq ports, for each network interface you have...

note that most quake engines have some way to scan the local network for games. if its a lan, can you not just use that?...
        yeah, NOW I remember that feature.

most lans are 192.168.some_constant_value.some_per_machine_value
        so quite often you only need to memorise a single number per machine, usually within 5 of the other machine's number (depends how big your lan is...).
        the alternative is to write some line in your autoexec.cfg like the following
        alias go "connect 192.168.1.64"
        so it depends whether you think you're more likely to remember '64' or 'go'... but yeah, 'go' is also less typing.
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
        X