Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[DPmod] How to change the acceleration caused by rocket explosions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DPmod] How to change the acceleration caused by rocket explosions?

Hello,
    so I am using the DPmod for a private server i use with some friends. We are experimenting with Quake in VR. We figured some stuff out how to make use of Cvars.

DPmod has changed gameplay that make the player tend to rocket-fly real high after been hit, causing easily sickness in VR.

Can some of you point me in the right direction to - decrease the ammount of the acceleration that affect the player after been hit by a rocker/grenade?

Any help is welcome.

Hello neitey,

You have to edit the dpmod gamecode to adjust the acceleration forces caused by rockets and grenades.
    Please find the download for the modified gamecode here: DOWNLOAD
    Copy the included file into your dpmod folder.
    You will then have approx. the force like in original Quake.

Have fun with your friends and VR,
    Seven

Comment

Hello Seven,

Thank you very much!

Even after been out out the loop regarding Quake one since my teenage years, it is easy to see that you are a legend in the mod scene and I am amazed by the help you provided.
      I love your content and i am grateful that quake is still alive and vital.

Your custom progs.dat will make dpmod based DM so much better in Quake GVR.

So just for you to know what it is all about - Quake GVR is a port for the Gear VR and Oculus Go based on Lord Havoc's Dark Places engine.
      Performance and a constant framerate is vital to VR gaming and for some reason the DPmod by Lord Havoc provides far more smooth experience than vanilla id1 (almost perfect)
      I managed to contact Havoc and he said it would probably perform better because of the code changes he made (QuakeC).

Over at /r/quakegearvr we are a little bunch of enthusiasts trying to make Quake the ultimate FPS experience for VR. And Quake works so well in it, it is almost as if Carmack and Romero had this in mind (of course they did not). In general it is necessary to reduce the faster pace that dpmod adds to the game, since the vanilla experience is already easily the most intense you find in vr.

So, since you are such a resource and expert I am kind of tempted to ask you for further help - or here i go

//Regarding Dpmod Weapons, Gameplay//

*Bot integration with Dpmod (since Dpmod has no really functioning Bot included, I failed to get Zeus and Frikbot work with Dpmod - a big bummer)
      *The spash damage diameter is a bit higher than in Vanilla
      *The grenades don't bounce but explode on first impact
      *The player model doesn't tilt, cutting a bit the tactical cues it gives in DM (not with the id1 model nor with OoPpEe-Moo-Mykey-Player(Ranger).pk3 for example)
      *Shotgun uses projectiles and not hitscan like in vanilla quake

//Regarding Dpmod Visuals//

*Dpmod does ignore the Item textures (QRP_item_textures_v.0.73_dp.pk3) or plagues weapon set (IP_Weapons_Ruohis_My-Key_Plague.pk3)
      (this is just a cosmetic issue, of course)

If you wanna help me with some of that issues i would be more than grateful.
      I you ever feel bored come over and visit us at https://www.reddit.com/r/quakegearvr/

Mark / neitey / Vr_Bummser
      Last edited by neitey; 11-21-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Hello neitey,

Thank you. Hope you like it.
        Unfortunately I do not have VR glasses. Though there are some games out there that I am interested in.
        It costs too much money and it would draw me even more into computer. So I pass as long as I can

Not much time to answer today. Anyhow I wanted to quickly answer some of your questions:

Originally posted by neitey View Post
        //Regarding Dpmod Weapons, Gameplay//

*Bot integration with Dpmod (since Dpmod has no really functioning Bot included, I failed to get Zeus and Frikbot work with Dpmod - a big bummer)
        *The spash damage diameter is a bit higher than in Vanilla
        *The grenades don't bounce but explode on first impact
        *The player model doesn't tilt, cutting a bit the tactical cues it gives in DM (not with the id1 model nor with OoPpEe-Moo-Mykey-Player(Ranger).pk3 for example)
        *Shotgun uses projectiles and not hitscan like in vanilla quake
        to 1) Well, then you didnt find the command: "addbot" yet Load the included dpmod multiplayer maps like dpdm1, etc. and add some bots via addbot command and good luck surviving But yes, you are correct, without waypoints the havocbot plays pretty poor in unsupported maps. But that is the case for most Quake bots as well. The frikbot has the most supported Quake maps (waypoint files) as far as I know.
        to 2) Aye, adjust them just like the forces caused by rockets and grenades in the gamecode. The source is included. It is just a single value to edit.
        to 3) Same as point 2)
        to 4) Same as point 2) I am afraid
        to 5) Many people like it, it seems. It is used in recent mods as well. But you know now how to change it

Originally posted by neitey View Post
        //Regarding Dpmod Visuals//

*Dpmod does ignore the Item textures (QRP_item_textures_v.0.73_dp.pk3) or plagues weapon set (IP_Weapons_Ruohis_My-Key_Plague.pk3)
        (this is just a cosmetic issue, of course)
        No it doesnt. The mod does not change the engines behaviour. And the DarkPlaces engine likes replacement content
        What you do not seem to know is its loading order: pak, pk3, direct
        The mod already has custom models directly in its subfolders. Look into "progs" folder for example.
        So, if you put a model, which is packed inside a .pk3 in it, it will be overriden by the higher priority unpacked models (directly inside its subfolders).
        If you want to use different view weapon models for example, you either have to delete the once which are already in the dpmod or unpack the .pk3´s / .pak´s

The QRP textures consists of many different textures. You will see that all the menu and HUD textures work as the should. Even when you keep them inside the .pk3.
        That is because the dpmod doesnt have any of those textures already.
        And so on.

By the way, pay attention on what DP builds you are using. Some have bugs.

Best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

Working...
        X