How do I use a mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I use a mod?

Hi! I'm new to using Quake mods, never done it before. It's a hell of a lot different from using Doom mods, that's for sure. How exactly do I get QPlus2.0 to work? I saw that you have to type some stuff in somewhere like darkplaces-sdl -game newmod but I have no idea where that's supposed to go...help please?

Hi HMP
    I don't know if this will be of much help and I can only speak for what works for me using the proquake engine, but normally I would create a directory under quake and place my mod files inside it. Then its often just a case of adding the following code to your normal quake startup command
    Code:
     -gamedir [I]ModDirectoryName[/I]
    So for example, to allow me to play the multiskin quake mod I have done the following
    1. created c:\quake\multiskin
    2. unpacked the mod files in to c:\quake\multiskin
    3. As I start my proquake engine from a batch file I have made a copy of normal startquake.bat and called it startquakems.bat
    4. I edited startquakems.bat so that the it now reads "glpro493.exe -game multiskin -nocdaudio -width 800 -height 600 -bpp 16 -mem 64", then saved and exit
    5. I can now run my mod by executing my batch file.

Some engines such as quakespasm dont necessarily even have to do this. To run the excellent Arcane Dimensions mod recently it was simple a case of downloading and unpacking the mod as covered above, and when the Quakespasm engine was started it detects mods that are present and allows you to easily select which mod you want to load up and play via the main menu.

I hope this helps.

Have fun
    Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 07-06-2019, 11:56 AM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Hurtmeplenty View Post
      Hi! I'm new to using Quake mods, never done it before. It's a hell of a lot different from using Doom mods, that's for sure. How exactly do I get QPlus2.0 to work? I saw that you have to type some stuff in somewhere like darkplaces-sdl -game newmod but I have no idea where that's supposed to go...help please?
      You can create a Windows shortcut as seen here:
      https://www.quaddicted.com/files/mis...inewindows.gif

Also in most engines like Quakespasm, once you have installed a mod where it belongs you can run the game normally bring down the console and type game modname and hit enter. After that type map mapname to load a map.

If you are using Darkplaces or FTE the command above is gamedir modname

Here's more info on mods from Quaddicted's Help page:

Some maps or episodes come with additional content and game features that go beyond the standard Quake code. These are refered to as mods ("modifications") and can be identified by the presence of a progs.dat file or one or several files with a PAK extension. Unlike normal maps, mods need to be installed in an individual folder in Quake's root directory, for example \quake\quoth\. If the ZIP already has a mod folder, it can be extracted or copied into the Quake folder; if it does not, the mod folder has to be created manually and the contents of the ZIP extracted into that. Sometimes it is necessary to manually create a mod folder as well as maps folder inside it, and copy the files from the ZIP accordingly.

A correctly installed mod either looks like this: \quake\modname\pak0.pak or, if it does not come in a PAK, like this: \quake\modname\progs.dat & \quake\modname\maps\modmap.bsp.

To start the mod and load the map, the *-game modname* parameter has to be added to the command line of the game, for example glquake.exe -game quoth. Once game and mod are running, the map can be loaded as described above.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

@-gamedir ModDirectoryName

I made a quake launcher a long time ago that relied on gamedir to be able to put all engines in an engines/ folder and all games in a games/ folder. IIRC some (maybe all) engines expect -gamedir to be a full path.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
        X