X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Legend of Bam ...

The Legend of Bam ...

They say one time he killed 15 Shamblers with an axe! :d

Maybe true, maybe not ... but CAx is looking great.

Short list of things ...

1) The rare disconnect/can't reconnect for a minute bug
    2) Some players, rightly or wrong, say EFF stats aren't quite right.
    3) It'd be cooler to know the armor/health of the guy that killed you

Among the awesome features of CAx, a project by Rook (QRack/Intertex) handed off to Bam to complete ...

1) A killer observer system with freelook and eyecam. The best I've seen. How to you change the player you are observing? (I can't seem to figure it out).

2) Warp menu maps and descriptions ...

Code:
    a2             Return to Atlantis
    aerowalk       Aerowalk
    agent          Agent Orange
    alk08dm        Charmhood
    auhdm2         Painful Memories
    baldm6         Scrap Metal
    baldm8         Dying Embers
    bomberman      Bizarro Bomberman
    bsp            Blood, Sweat and Piss
    dranzdm8       Teardrop
    endif          Endif
    factory3       Bakunin's Place
    fragtwn7       Fragtown 7 - Chicago
    hip1dm1        The Edge of Oblivion
    lacrima        Lacrima Christi
    nindm3v2       Deja Vu
    q1dm17         The Longest Yard
    q1edge         The Edge Conversion
    q3dm6qw        The Campgrounds
    rf2            Rusted Factory
    rm             Ruby Midnight
    sanity         When Sanity Ends
    schloss        Schloss Adler
    skull          Skull Hunt
    sofdm1         SOF DM1
    toilet4        Sani-Flush
    ultrav         Ultraviolence
    xntrick        Trick or Treat!
    zed2           Metalware
    ztndm3         Blood Run

And if possible, group the warp menu so it is ...

Maps A-C
    Maps D-Q
    Maps R-T
    Maps U-Z
    3) There should be a message when you connect that says something like

>Don't have the maps?
    >Get them at http://bomber.killingpixels.com

when you connect even if you don't have the maps like on the RA server.

That way no one has to tell the player without maps where to get them from and a player who connects without anyone present can self-help.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I WANNA FIGHT BAM WHEN HE HAS CABLE!!! I HEARD that he could almost beat TICAL!!! Now if he got Cable and warmed up to it, TICAL would be bent and broken by the ALL POWERFUL BAM!!

CAx is a lot of fun, better than stoopid boring gay DM3 at hdz. Now I actually enjoy CA because of the cool custom maps and the other awesome features of that Mod. Too bad that it's buggy though..

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
      better than stoopid boring gay DM3 at hdz
      It's not HDZ's fault they can't run custom maps.

Whoever wrote CA+ wouldn't release the source, so HDZ had the choice of CA (obsolete) and CA+ (solid, but chokes on most maps not named DM3).

I remember playing a game on HDZ with maybe 5 other people including Vis, Lerster and Tical on UltraV and the server crashed mid-game -- this was maybe a couple of weeks ago.

Do you think Vis wanted that? We were all having fun.

CAx can lead clan arena out of that trap after all the bugs are worked out.

By the way ... CAx is very close to being rock solid, it's remarkably improved from even a few days ago.

Bam is a coding machine ... no exaggeration.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I like the title of the thread. ;p

Too bad that it's buggy though..
        I have finally gotten rid every bug that I know of so far. If anybody else sees a bug after this new version then please report it.

Originally posted by Baker
        1) The rare disconnect/can't reconnect for a minute bug
        I think I fixed that last version around. I think the CAx lag detection/protection was disconnecting people by accident.

2) Some players, rightly or wrong, say EFF stats aren't quite right.
        Any player who sees this should get a demo of it or at least a screenshot, because I haven't seen anything wrong with it.

3) It'd be cooler to know the armor/health of the guy that killed you
        Added.

1) A killer observer system with freelook and eyecam. The best I've seen. How to you change the player you are observing? (I can't seem to figure it out).
        Just press the left mouse button to change players once you're riding somebody. To switch riding modes press the right mouse button.

3) There should be a message when you connect that says something like

>Don't have the maps?
        >Get them at http://bomber.killingpixels.com
        Added.

Comment

Wow! That was fast.

If this keeps up, every time Bam gets fragged there will valkyries or maybe a chariot to take his body to the Isle of Avalon, heh :d

Comment

Ofcourse I know this is obvious to you, but there's a bug where after a match game Bam gets disconnected and kinda Banned Phenom fixes this by resetting

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper
              but there's a bug where after a match game Bam gets disconnected
              Actually, Bam gets that on every server. :d We keep telling him to ditch that AOL dialup and get broadband, but he decided to get a truck instead.

Yellow and I keep working on him. :d

We think Bam keeps his dialup so Quake is still a challenge, the few days I've seen him on broadband he was mowing down Quake gods left and right.

Comment

Yeah, I think he will be able to beat TICAL with broadband. HE'll be the next THRESH

Comment

Yeah, I think he will be able to beat TICAL with broadband. HE'll be the next THRESH
                  Both Bam and you could probably beat Thresh.

In fact, if that guy from last year was telling the truth ... YOU ALREADY HAVE! :d :d :d

Comment

We could never beat THRESH back in the day when he was owning. I doubt that guy was THRESH, he was too easy of a fight.

Comment

Bam, I just checked out the commands menu and it has all the important commands in there.

You might consider eventually organizing something like this:

1. Group all the game mode options together at the top ... airshot, ffa, match, etc.

2. Make WARP either the very top command listed or the very bottom command

3. Alphabetically organize the rest of the commands.

Comment

Bam I cleaned up and setup string.qc and warp.qc

http://www.quakeone.com/q1files/downloads/cax-stuff/

Just fyi so you don't waste time on that.

Comment

Also, I noticed if I try to connect to server and don't have the map, I get disconnected with the "whatever.bsp was not found" before the message prints that tells me where I can get the maps.

I don't know if there is anything you can do about that.

Comment

Baker - I have the best response ever, and its one Ive never used on here before. Use DarkPlaces =D

I only say this because if youre missing the map, then DarkPlaces just places you in darkness. To the rest of the server you are there, and your movement is bound by the maps collision, but you will hear players as they get near you, you can fire and take damage, and most importantly see the MOTD and communicate with the other players about what map it is so you know what filename to search out.

Ive actually done this before successfully.
                            Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                              I have the best response ever, and its one Ive never used on here before. Use DarkPlaces =D
                              I tried DarkPlaces on shmack the other day (about a week ago) and even after turning everything off that I could find, I still felt very vulnerable compared to the feeling I get when I use GLPro and it didn't feel as responsive.

One downside to a client that can add an extra dimension by lighting and effects alone is figuring out how to turn those off to get optimal DM performance on par with, say, winquake.exe.

I could list on paper probably 30 outstanding enhancements to DarkPlaces ... I am probably far more aware of Quake's limitations than you could imagine (like the ability to increase the packet size to avoid packet overflow on big maps), but much of the lighting/effects enhancements takes away my super-powers and my awareness of my environment. I didn't fare too well on Shmack when I was trying it out.

If I could figure out how get DarkPlaces to have approximately the same deathmatch performance as glquake.exe or winquake.exe (what settings, etc.), I could put that information somewhere easily findable and the site and I think more players would be willing to try it on the servers.

Comment

Working...
                              X