havent played quake in over 14 years...need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• havent played quake in over 14 years...need some help

hey guys, i just recently brought back to life an old PC of mine that i used to use for gaming in 99/2000 somewhere and installed quake 1 (i believe version 1.06) and would like to play online....keep in mind, the last time i played quake 1 online was with a dial up modem one on one with a buddy in 96 or 97! lol...

what all will i have to do? i noticed the "TCP/IP" settings in the game menu is greyed out and will not let me select it. also, any time i try to connect to a server in the console, it just refuses every time. is there a patch or add on that i need to jump on current servers?

my classic game system specs are:
    windows ME
    512RAM
    AMD athlon CPU
    some random 3dfx card (one of the better ones of the time)
    dial up modem! haha....it does have an ethernet port thankfully lol

let me know what i'll need to do please!

thanks everyone

Are you using a recent client?

Is your ?dial-up? even connected?

Are you connecting to a still existing server?

Is the server in a far away country by any chance?

Are you sure you are using the proper connection string in the console?

for the short time that I played on quakeitup I had the connection bound to a key and I was using Darkplaces (not that I am recommending DP for MP) my connection command was

bind F8 "connect cax.quakeitup.com"
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Win-ME? bleh.
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
        Are you using a recent client?

Is your ?dial-up? even connected?

Are you connecting to a still existing server?

Is the server in a far away country by any chance?

Are you sure you are using the proper connection string in the console?

for the short time that I played on quakeitup I had the connection bound to a key and I was using Darkplaces (not that I am recommending DP for MP) my connection command was

bind F8 "connect cax.quakeitup.com"
        i will try that quakeitup.com server...thanks

just so you know i'm using the LAN port, not dial up...i only stated dial up to show the age of the PC and i know Win ME wasnt the greatest OS...its what we bought from best buy at the time.

Comment

I'm pretty sure quakeitup is gone (unless WL set it back up). I was just using that as an example for the connect string "syntax".
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by blipo View Post
            i will try that quakeitup.com server...thanks

just so you know i'm using the LAN port, not dial up...i only stated dial up to show the age of the PC and i know Win ME wasnt the greatest OS...its what we bought from best buy at the time.
            [M.E. - Shudder ] Presumably your quake engine works fine and dandy in single player mode so perhaps drop in to console and type
            Code:
            connect quake.shmack.net:26000
            If you connect then that's the first hurdle overcome. If not then perhaps report back with the details (error messages, the quake engine you are using, etc) and I'm sure someone will try to help you. It's kind of worrying that 'the "TCP/IP" settings in the game menu is greyed out' Presumably your ME PC isn't using IPX/SPX as a network protocol? I had some issues years ago with a client using this for his ME network and it was a bit of a pain to say the least.

You might consider taking MG's good advice and upgrading to the latest version of your chosen quake engine as the newer versions or proquake, Qrack and DP have numerous fixes and are much more stable. If you can get yourself connected with an engine like the latest Proquake then you should be on a good footing to then start to enhance your quake experience with more graphically advanced engines like Qrack (all hail R00k), DP and EngineX

I Hope this helps

Monty
            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 02-19-2013, 05:57 AM.
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

I dunno, I would almost suggest the software version of ProQuake, wqpro.
              Or maybe just ProQuake itself. That old card will not use multitexture extensions found on new engines and in some cases might not even run. Qrack might work if u turn off all the excess stuff. :/

Why not install Quake on a newer machine/laptop??

I did see a new player on dmtx was that you??
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Ya, I would copy the Quake files from your old computer and just move them to a newer computer. Then you can download a newer game client like Qrack and go from there. You should be able to find Qrack instructions here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                  [M.E. - Shudder ] Presumably your quake engine works fine and dandy in single player mode so perhaps drop in to console and type
                  Code:
                  connect quake.shmack.net:26000
                  If you connect then that's the first hurdle overcome. If not then perhaps report back with the details (error messages, the quake engine you are using, etc) and I'm sure someone will try to help you. It's kind of worrying that 'the "TCP/IP" settings in the game menu is greyed out' Presumably your ME PC isn't using IPX/SPX as a network protocol? I had some issues years ago with a client using this for his ME network and it was a bit of a pain to say the least.

You might consider taking MG's good advice and upgrading to the latest version of your chosen quake engine as the newer versions or proquake, Qrack and DP have numerous fixes and are much more stable. If you can get yourself connected with an engine like the latest Proquake then you should be on a good footing to then start to enhance your quake experience with more graphically advanced engines like Qrack (all hail R00k), DP and EngineX

I Hope this helps

Monty
                  thanks for the help...i do not have the IPX/SPX protocol installed anymore.

when i pull the console down and try that server you suggested i get this:

"no quake servers found.

Host_Error: CL_Connect: Connect Failed"

any ideas?

thanks again everyone!

Comment

Silly question time:let's take Quake out of the equation for the time being so can the pc that are trying to get quake running on see and connect to the internet quite happily? If so can you ping Quake.shmack.net successfully?
                    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 02-19-2013, 02:42 PM.
                    Mr.Burns
                    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

Silly question time:let's take Quake out of the equation for the time being so can the pc that are trying to get quake running on see and connect to the internet quite happily? If so can you ping Quake.shmack.net successfully?
                      yep, it connects to the net and i can ping that server no problem.

Comment

hmm odd. A few more questions...
                        What command line are you using to fire up quake?
                        Do you connect through a NAT'd firewall?
                        What version of quake are you using and what engine?
                        Are there any firewalls in between you and the quake server that may be blocking your path?
                        Mr.Burns

Comment

hmm odd. A few more questions...
                          What command line are you using to fire up quake?
                          Do you connect through a NAT'd firewall?
                          What version of quake are you using and what engine?
                          Are there any firewalls in between you and the quake server that may be blocking your path?
                          basically i just open up a dos prompt and run:

cd..
                          cd dosgames
                          cd quake
                          quake

i'm hardwired directly to my Verizon fios router
                          its just the original install disc from '96 of the full game. version 1.06. not sure of the engine...how do i find that out?
                          no firewalls that i set up...but i would assume i wouldnt be able to ping the server if it was firewall related, right?

Comment

Originally posted by blipo View Post
                            basically i just open up a dos prompt and run:

cd..
                            cd dosgames
                            cd quake
                            quake

i'm hardwired directly to my Verizon fios router
                            its just the original install disc from '96 of the full game. version 1.06. not sure of the engine...how do i find that out?
                            no firewalls that i set up...but i would assume i wouldn't be able to ping the server if it was firewall related, right?
                            Ok, It's becoming a little clearer. older versions of quake often had problems going through a NAT'd router which sounds like what you might have.
                            In the first instance I would strongly suggest that you make a folder in your quake directory called proquake and download the latest version of proquake which is available from this very site and install that in your current quake directory. This version has many fixes and enhancements and would be a much better starting point that trying to get your existing 1.06 working.

As far as the command to start quake is ccincerned, you could try something like this...
                            Code:
                            [COLOR="Cyan"]glpro.exe[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]-ip 192.168.1.nnn[/COLOR] -noipx -width 640 -height 480 -bpp 32 -game proquake
                            where glpro.exe is the quake engine you want to run and 192.168.1.nnn is the internal ip number of the PC you want to play quake on. To make it even easier you could pop your command inside a windows batch file, adjusting the start in directory as appropriate, so you can just click and play.

As far as the firewall is concerned if you haven't set one up then that may make things easier for you to connect, but on a technical level just because a firewall may let "ping" packets through it doesn't necessarily mean that "Quake" packets will get through as easily (unfortunately )

Hope this helps

Monty
                            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 02-19-2013, 03:41 PM.
                            Mr.Burns

Comment

Ok, It's becoming a little clearer. older versions of quake often had problems going through a NAT'd router which sounds like what you might have.
                              In the first instance I would strongly suggest that you make a folder in your quake directory called proquake and download the latest version of proquake which is available from this very site and install that in your current quake directory. This version has many fixes and enhancements and would be a much better starting point that trying to get your existing 1.06 working.

As far as the command to start quake is ccincerned, you could try something like this...
                              Code:
                              [COLOR="Cyan"]glpro.exe[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]-ip 192.168.1.nnn[/COLOR] -noipx -width 640 -height 480 -bpp 32 -game proquake
                              where glpro.exe is the quake engine you want to run and 192.168.1.nnn is the internal ip number of the PC you want to play quake on. To make it even easier you could pop your command inside a windows batch file, adjusting the start in directory as appropriate, so you can just click and play.

As far as the firewall is concerned if you haven't set one up then that may make things easier for you to connect, but on a technical level just because a firewall may let "ping" packets through it doesn't necessarily mean that "Quake" packets will get through as easily (unfortunately )

Hope this helps

Monty
                              Awesome...thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it! I will try all that and report back!

Comment

Working...
                              X