"Chocolate Quake"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Chocolate Quake"?

Does anyone know if Quake has a Chocolate Doom equivalent, or in other words a source port that preserves the vanilla game as closely as possible whilst still allowing for higher resolutions? Thanks in advance!

sure there are. there's many quake-engines, and many of them stay close to original engine's look and feel
    proquake, fitzquake, quakespasm, qrack are some of the engines which attempt to be as close as possible to the original look and feel of software quake
    (afaik, feel free correct me if im wrong on any of these)

ProQuake
    Qrack
    FitzQuake
    quakespasm

but none of the quake engines do any modifications to the game itself, they only allow for graphical features.
    but gameplay on any quake-engine there is without the use of any mods is 100% identical to original quake
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Thanks for the list! I've started using Quakespasm and it's absolutely fantastic.

While this thread is up, are there equivalent ports for Quake 2? Every source port I've used for Q2 has been extremely unstable and added a whole bunch of "enhancements" that didn't need to be there.

Comment

DirectQ II so I hear is a decent port, albeit having some quirks about it.

It was recently mentioned, its tucked inside a DirectQ release.
        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-15-2014, 10:05 AM.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Fastest vanilla Quake 1 would be DirectQ i think...
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Marnetmar View Post
            Thanks for the list! I've started using Quakespasm and it's absolutely fantastic.

While this thread is up, are there equivalent ports for Quake 2? Every source port I've used for Q2 has been extremely unstable and added a whole bunch of "enhancements" that didn't need to be there.
            Have you tried Yamagi? Yamagi.org

Comment

I'd be interested in giving Yamagi a spin, but this binary doesn't even load the game on my rig (Win 8.1 x64).
              Authentic Models Pack
              OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
              LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

As others said, Quakespasm and DirectQ might be the engines closest to the vanilla experience. Quakespasm is frequently used in the mapping community.

Since revision 4719, FTE has gotten a new "Vanilla" preset which is also quite pixely :-)

For Quake 2, I'd also have said Yamagi. However there are also some multiplayer ports which might be able to do widescreen, AQ2 and R1Q2 (you'll have to google around) and then there is FTE.

FTE's Q2 support is only about 95%, there are still a few particle effects and the like missing, but the game is pretty playable.

Edit: Actually there is also Knightmare's Q2 engine. http://www.markshan.com/knightmare/
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                  DirectQ II so I hear is a decent port, albeit having some quirks about it.

It was recently mentioned, its tucked inside a DirectQ release.

but I totally spawned Q2 discussion at Q1 and failed to notice this. epic
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                    but I totally spawned Q2 discussion at Q1 and failed to notice this. epic
                    I won't report you for it, if you don't report me.
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                    X