DP - "Pretty Skies" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP - "Pretty Skies" ?

Was curious how feasable a new project like this would be, along the lines of the "Pretty Water" and variants for DP?

Would shaders also make interesting effects in the skyboxes? I am guessing it means , in the example of the ID maps, the skies would have to be recompiled to be non-solid as the water first off...(something ID never did, but some people on this site have done). Then, I guess vis'd in the same way the water was for Pretty water, so that things can be seen on the other side.

Reflections would be most likely not needed, but being able to see through the skybox, prehaps up to a certain depth, would make for some other enhancements, such as perhaps bening able to see rain or snow particles that have their max corner position inside the skybox at some point.....or if one were to code in a "sun" (see link to screenshot of a test) .... the sun could be positioned now so that EF_NODEPTHTEST would most likely not be needed for the ent to be visible...perhaps the new map vis would now permit this.

This shot below, I used sprites.....

Argonaut Dawn
    Last edited by Cobalt; 06-28-2014, 09:06 PM.

something a bit less extreme than this perhaps? http://triptohell.info/moodles/junk/fte00016.jpg Hurrah for glsl.

Seeing things through skies makes no sense. If you want to see 'through' skies, the only possible way that can ever make sense is if you have a skyroom instead.
    Skyrooms are actually pretty simple really... Just use csqc to draw some other scene first, then set up some sky shader to draw only the depth (and before anything else), to preserve the previously-drawn skyroom. you can draw however many moving layers you want in your skyroom.
    of course, this requires lots of things to all work together, and noone can be bothered with any of that.
    Essentually, the problem is that the area behind the sky is solid. anything moving through that solid area will get blocked, etc. most skys are actually fairly thin, such that anything trying to do that with vanilla content is doomed.
    frankly, the best choice is to just get some glsl code to merge all the various layers at the same time that it sorts out the sky projection, so that the various layers can all scroll past each other.
    there's some 'shadertoy' website that you should be able to find via google. basically its just a load of different people's glsl fragment shaders. each one is _JUST_ a quad with some textures and some time info. This site should really help to drive home the power of glsl - when its used properly.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Yea Spike, similar to that. Not sure how the light rays are generated in your example, but I thought with shaders on the skybox texture, perhaps any light source behind it, such as the sun in my example , would be "warped" through the shader sort of like how its done in the pretty water, only we warp the light. Warp might not be the exact phrase I am looking for, but similar to your example how when the light shines through gaps in the clouds, its more visible.

The map in my example, I studied more closely, and it seems to place some solid brushwork over the opening in that shot, and I think its painted the skybox texture, or the skybox is somehow overlapping through that opening just a bit...the mapname is Argonaut if you are familiar with it. Probably not a good example to illustrate what I am trying to convey, as it seems to have a non-soilid skybox, but that other solid piece of brushwork put in kind of interferes with it. I have seen this done on a few other maps.

Im not familiar with the skyroom or glsl stuff yet, will have to check it out.

Comment

Working...
      X