Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiniQL 0.2

Hi all,

Continuing the tradition of moving stuff around every year :-P i moved MiniQL again from its github place to my own server. The new place is:

http://runtimelegend.com/rep/miniql

Also since i noticed that some people actually use it i thought to address a few issues that were mentioned. So i made a new version (v0.2) which adds the following:
    • the ability to scan subfolders for games
    • a skill selection combobox
    • +map start for the default option
    • a button to launch Quake Injector if quakeinjector.jar is found in the Quake dir
    • -height parameter when using the (desktop) mode
    Pixels over here.

This is an awesome launcher! Minimalistic, just the way I like it. I thought it was long dead....
    Can i, please, ask, when will the bmodels problem be fixed? or is it already?
    MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

What is the bmodels problem?
      Pixels over here.

Comment

Hello Bad Sector,

Thank you very much for keep working on your MiniQL.

That is a really handy/useful tool.
        The news list sounds great !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Sector View Post
          What is the bmodels problem?
          I've talked about this ages ago on this forum and even dropped you a PM if I recall it correctly. The launcher loads the bmodels (b_*.bsp files) in the list and offers to launch them as actual maps.
          MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

Ah, i didn't knew those weren't maps... somehow i always thought they had to do with some special multiplayer mode and since i do not play multiplayer i always ignored them :-P

Anyway, i made a small fix and put it as 0.2b (the only difference from 0.2 is that it ignores those files).
            Pixels over here.

Comment

Thank you so much, Bad Sector! This is a real gem!

Comment

just tried this and i really like it!
                makes playing maps easy as can be and eliminates the usage of batch-files / manual loading of map through console

have one suggestion though for a feature id like added:
                would it be possible to have 'profiles', as in settings for different engines/setups?

i myself have 2 quake setups, one with HD stuff like replacement models,
                and one without any kinda HD stuff which i use for playing mods and maps that come with their own progs.dat

could an option be added at top for 'profiles', that you multiple engine-folders with executable added to a list and then pick which setup to use?
                and perhaps being able to name these 'profiles' which makes it easy to see which profile is for which setup

i doubt im the only one which has multiple engines and multiple quake-setups on their HDD,
                and i wouldnt be the only one who'd like to be able to use the launcher for multiple setups/engines
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

WOW! Reading talisa's post and the request for "profiles" reminded me of a very long time ago when I to made a quake mod launcher!

I had a friend who could make awesome maps(Doom first then Quake(1/2)) but I had to teach him all the software, he couldn't run programs to save his life. I mean this was BAD! Like frustrate you to no end explaining the simplest of shit bad. And the command line, OMG, he'd call me over and over and over and... you get the idea

So one day I told him "I'm gonna make you sumthin', and we won't have to have all these phone calls anymore." It took a week but "ModRunner95" was born. Only one of a slight few completed programs that was fully functional that I created.

And... it had profiles! As my buddy had a brother in the house so it was needed. Also, you could take screenshots of levels and place them in a special directory and it would give you a "preview" of the level as you selected them in the list box. I did all the stock levels in Quake for him to start.

I didn't know how to read a .pak file but at that time we mostly had mods/maps in directory structures.

He loved that damn little VB6 program and several times he'd request it again if his computer HDD crashed on him.

Anywhoo, I didn't look at MiniQL yet, prolly won't... I jus' open a terminal in Linux and type it out ole school baby hehe
                  Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

ya back in the day you had to type

c:\quake\quake.exe -game ctf -mem 16 -zone 128

sigh
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I still type somewhat, in a terminal, but in Linux the terminal has a command history that is persistent through startups and shutdowns that you can scroll through with the up and down arrow keys. So for instance, when playing the Map Jam maps I only need type once(which is also usually a copy and paste from a readme) and then use the history to launch the game in case I don't play all the maps at once(typically so).

Well, I'm 'jacking the thread so I'll stop now. Just browsing down memory lane a bit, sorry...
                      Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Crap, I should check these forums more often! This update actually implements the subdir scan feature I have been badly missing in the initial release. There aren't many really usable launchers for Quake out there. If I had to recommend any, it would be this one.

I use MiniQL in combination with Fitzquake Mk V (curiously enough, its latest release even has the same date as the current version of this launcher), and it provides pretty much anything I would ever need - classic Quake gameplay with the ability to launch any of my favorite mods.

Thanks a lot for updating this at long last, it is highly appreciated!

*EDIT August 17, 2014*
                        It seems the launcher creates a subdir called "_mods". What is it good for?
                        Last edited by NightFright; 08-17-2014, 11:45 AM.
                        Authentic Models Pack
                        OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
                        LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Working...
                        X