finding the best client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding the best client

i'm using just a regular version of quake 1 to play multiplayer on my home lan.. which is fun, but gfx.. anyway, i downloaded and tried the darkplaces when i found out about that.. amazing.. but it lags terribly over the lan. i don't know if there is a way to stop the lag without sacrificing the graphics (which was the purpose of having it) or if there is another client out there with 24 bit gfx or something else that looks better than regular quake 1 that doesn't lag on lan games. thank you.

Maybe try Qrack : QRACK
    My servers for the gamers:
    bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
    port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
    Offline ATM
    fvf.servequake.com
    flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
    Offline ATM
    newdm.servequake.com
    port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
    sigpic

Comment

mucho thanks for the reply.. i looked at qrack.. i'll try it out.. i was hoping for something a little better looking.. i noticed there are several quake 1 clients out there now.. darkplaces looks beautiful.. have you tried any of the others?

Comment

DirectQ will run fast and supports 24bit textures, and supports proquake servers for multiplayer.
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Qrack pretty much has everything that Darkplaces has in the way of graphics, minus support for some extreme high-poly md3 models, normal maps, and the per pixel lighting (which some people love, but I can't stand). The per pixel lighting makes Quake look like Doom3 imo, and is also responsible for the horrible lag. Darkplaces manages to lag my Geforce GTX 550 Ti and i5 processor at times.

It took me a long time to compile a folder for Qrack that looks the absolute best I must admit - combining various 3rd party textures, skins, skyboxes, etc.. My Qrack folder is like 7GB (my entire Quake folder is 14GB). Maybe someday I'll upload the best parts of my install for all other Qrack users to use. I did put quite a lot of time and effort in to it. Just recently, I manually applied the texture normal maps to all the textures to give them more depth, since Qrack does not support them.

I pretty much maximized my Qrack installation without getting any lag.

Comment

I fuess you mean FPS lag, because ping lag on a local Net is pretty hard to do. Try turning off V-sync in the video options, then in console see how much frames you get by : showfps 1

If you run the high res texture packs and have all the high level lighting on, it will def give you a performance hit in DP. A decent system you should have hundreds FPS....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
              I fuess you mean FPS lag, because ping lag on a local Net is pretty hard to do. Try turning off V-sync in the video options, then in console see how much frames you get by : showfps 1

If you run the high res texture packs and have all the high level lighting on, it will def give you a performance hit in DP. A decent system you should have hundreds FPS....
              Yup, I tried turning V-sync off already (believe me, I have tweaked just about every video card and in-game option). The lag is most definitely caused by the high-res content mixed with the per pixel lighting of Darkplaces. Anyway, I don't like the dark doom3 style lighting that per pixel lighting creates, so I'm perfectly happy with Qrack. Darkplaces doesn't look much different than Qrack without the lighting effects anyway, and Qrack has some features that darkplaces lacks.

Edit: I just want to mention that I'm definitely not putting down Darkplaces; I can understand why people like it. For people like me who enjoy the classic Quake lighting with high-res content mixed in, Qrack is a great engine, and performs very fast.
              Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Each client has its own pros and cons! It all depends on what you're attempting to achieve.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I can't get enough of DP All of those annoyances you can turn off or simply not have installed. it runs netquake protocol and DP7. It's a beast. I just can't bring myself to use another engine. Qrack is nice but DP just works with little additional configuration needed. Plus I quake in 2014 with 2014 graphics and why shouldn't I? Also, DP's main drain on your system is Real Time Lighting World. If you simply turn off RT world you are solid on frame rates even with Rgyels Ultra HD pack and the works ENTs, DDS, etc. The single thing that chugs it is RT world. A few other cvar adjustments will give you pretty smooth multiplayer experience too. RT lighting is less of an issue on many of the included Dm maps and single player maps because the RTllight files do alot of the extra work for DP. Without that info it has to do it in real time. No small feat for a Modern day Graphics card. It heats up my gtx 670 GC every once and a while

Edit: The other drain is particle effects which are easily disabled using sv_entpatch 0. I often have to use this cvar to run many mods including Kleshik because it doesn't have the needed extensions. This one cvar probably breaks 80% of quake mods from working in DP if you use ENT files.

Comment

Darkplaces' realtime shadows etc. shouldn't affect the network stuff...

Try disabling only the realtime shadows to gain a lot of performance back:

r_shadow_realtime_world_shadows 0

in the console.

Things like Bloom and "pretty water" would also cost a lot of performance.

Unfortunately with any game engine, there is going to be a tradeoff between speed and eyecandy.

Anyway, I don't like the dark doom3 style lighting that per pixel lighting creates, so I'm perfectly happy with Qrack.
                    Turn off the realtime shadows then. Per-pixel lighting doesn't HAVE to look like that, what you're seeing are the stencil shadows. Shadowless rtlights look very nice too and the only shadows will then come from the lightmaps.

As an alternative, you could try FTE. It's got eyecandy as well, maybe it'll perform better for you. The latest FTE build can be downloaded from Index of /moodles. Some Darkplaces-specific mods might not run with this though.
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

realtime shadows affects your system performance which can indirectly affect network performance but I was only speaking to CPU/GPU performance. I metioned additional cvars could help with network performance like cl_rate, cl_nolerp, sys_ticrate, cl_movement, etc. Specifically RT world can drop you 10-20 fps depending on your GPU. r_shadow_realtime_world_shadow may gain you 2-5 fps. Now this isn't as bad on some id1 maps because you can download RTlight files to help DP prelight the world so the real time calculations are at a minimum for the GPU. Which is why they are so much more playable than maps that do not have these included. Also if your map has leaks its a SUPER drain. Leaks aren't noticable for performance drops on vanilla quake but it kills ya in DP with RT World.

Bloom has probably close to zero performance hit for anyone on a some what modern gpu. Tho the pretty water can create a performance hit for some and those are easily turned off. Which is my point. DP is very customizable to the liking of the user like many of the others such as Qrack. But nothing compares so far to DP.

Good call on FTE. If I could get mine setup correctly I would probably use it more. You can run QUAKE 2 in it! Tho currently I use QuakeXP as my engine of choice for that. I also believe you can run hexen and similar? Its a really cool engine as well!

Comment

Working...
                      X