FTE Android (FTEDroid) questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTE Android (FTEDroid) questions

Hi everyone! The awesome mattnmag over on XDA posted a thread about getting FTEDroid running on the Xperia Play. That thread is located here: [PORT] Quake 1 on FTEDroid (w/ gkp profiles … | Xperia Play | XDA Forums As you can see, I've been bugging him with questions about it, but he's suggested I ask the fine folks over here regarding various things. So here I am! Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with Quake's setups and such (somehow managed to skip over it from Doom to Half-Life while growing up), so some of this is new to me.

Anyway, my questions:
    • Quake uses a config and an autoconfig file for different things. Is one accessible through FTEDroid that I can view or modify? If not, can I create one, and where should I put it?
    • I've seen people mention that they're running this or that version of Quake and its sequels. How do I choose between different Quake games, such as the mission packs?
    • I asked mattnmag about running Laser Arena, an old favorite of mine that uses a modified Quake, but he encountered an error about LA using server version 18, which FTE doesn't support. Would it be possible to get a different server version? Is it possible that LA could ever run on this?
    • How would I install bots for multiplayer? Do Quake bots typically require computer-only files like DLLs?

That's all I have for now!

Originally posted by pWEN View Post
    Hi everyone! The awesome mattnmag over on XDA posted a thread about getting FTEDroid running on the Xperia Play. That thread is located here: [PORT] Quake 1 on FTEDroid (w/ gkp profiles … | Xperia Play | XDA Forums As you can see, I've been bugging him with questions about it, but he's suggested I ask the fine folks over here regarding various things. So here I am! Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with Quake's setups and such (somehow managed to skip over it from Doom to Half-Life while growing up), so some of this is new to me.

Anyway, my questions:
    • Quake uses a config and an autoconfig file for different things. Is one accessible through FTEDroid that I can view or modify? If not, can I create one, and where should I put it?
    • I've seen people mention that they're running this or that version of Quake and its sequels. How do I choose between different Quake games, such as the mission packs?
    • I asked mattnmag about running Laser Arena, an old favorite of mine that uses a modified Quake, but he encountered an error about LA using server version 18, which FTE doesn't support. Would it be possible to get a different server version? Is it possible that LA could ever run on this?
    • How would I install bots for multiplayer? Do Quake bots typically require computer-only files like DLLs?

That's all I have for now!
    1. No, fte does not have text editor. autoexec.cfg or config.cfg, put it in game folder (id1 or data1 or nehahra, etc), not in fte root.
    2. Via the gamedir cvar, for example data1 for hexen2.
    4. Install bots via creating the bot folder and putting the bot files there, incl. progs.dat. No. progs.dat is the platform independent quake library.

Comment

playing the game on a mobile device is kinda silly.

Watching live games or demos is the only valid use of this tech.

if you are not at home, go home and play, or else do what you are supposed to be doing when not at home, like getting back to work...
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by AlexQuaker View Post
        1. No, fte does not have text editor. autoexec.cfg or config.cfg, put it in game folder (id1 or data1 or nehahra, etc), not in fte root.
        2. Via the gamedir cvar, for example data1 for hexen2.
        4. Install bots via creating the bot folder and putting the bot files there, incl. progs.dat. No. progs.dat is the platform independent quake library.
        Thanks! That's very helpful.
        Last edited by pWEN; 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM.

Comment

the instructions in your link say to copy the pak files into an id1 directory on your phone's sdcard.
          you can add an autoexec.cfg alongside those paks if you wish. you should be able to find an fte.cfg somewhere around there too, which you can delete if you want to reset your config completely.

you can run various quake mods (including mission packs) by installing them adjacent to the id1 directory on your sdcard, and then using the 'gamedir' console command to switch between them. switching between games (ie: between quake, quake2, hexen2, quake3) requires the use of the fs_changegame command in order to ensure various default settings get applied to match the different gamecode modes.
          its possible to create some .fmf files to result in the engine displaying a prompt for the various installed games/mods on startup, but that's somewhat involved and I'm too lazy to document it properly.

laser arena is not supported as it requires closed-source engine changes.

there are various bot mods around, like frikbot. these are installed and run as any other mod would be.
          Some Game Thing

Comment

Thanks, Spike! That should get me up and running. One last question for now, just clarification... I have Quake, Quake 2, and the mission packs for both that I got from Steam. Quake 1's pak files go in the id1 folder, of course. Is that the only restriction on folders? That is, can I follow this folder structure, and just use fs_changegame and call the appropriate folder:

/fte/id1 (Quake 1)
            /fte/hipnotic (mp 1)
            /fte/rogue (mp 2)
            /fte/baseq2 (Quake 2)
            /fte/ctf (multiplayer)
            /fte/xatrix (Q2 mp 1)
            /fte/rogue (Q2 mp 2)

I'd like to keep all of the various Quake games installed, ideally.

Comment

yeah, you can use fs_changegame to switch between quake+quake2, and gamedir to switch between id1/hipnotic/rogue.
              is the theory.

beware with quake2 though, fte does not provide any arm-compatible q2 gamecode. it'll work as a q2 client, but you won't be able to play single player or host your own server without someone porting the gamecode to arm too.
              attempting to load a map anyway will result in some sort of noclip mode.
              additionally I've not tested the q2 mission packs even on pc. they will likely be missing some effects.
              Some Game Thing

Comment

Ah, very good to know. I appreciate the help!

Just out of curiosity, any interest in adapting this for the Ouya?

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                  yeah, you can use fs_changegame to switch between quake+quake2,
                  beware with quake2 though, fte does not provide any arm-compatible q2 gamecode. it'll work as a q2 client, but you won't be able to play single player or host your own server without someone porting the gamecode to arm too.
                  attempting to load a map anyway will result in some sort of noclip mode.
                  Yes, I have q2 gamecode libraries from QII4A (libgame, libgame_rogue, libgame_xatrix, libgame_zaero). Where should I put them in, and how do I rename them to get them working?
                  Last edited by AlexQuaker; 09-17-2014, 12:24 AM.

Comment

should be '/sdcard/fte/baseq2/gamearm.so' (for example)
                    however, according to a quick google, many devices mount the sd card as noexec, so this will quite probably fail to work.
                    bah.
                    I assume qii4a provides its own game dlls inside the apk and thus doesn't need/support them on the sdcard, bypassing the issue
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
                    X