Creating Dynamic Lights (Darkplaces)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Dynamic Lights (Darkplaces)

This is something I put off for a while because I really can't find much documentation on the topic.

So, how does one go about placing dynamic lights in their map?
    www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

Good to see u back. I know DP has tenabre type light effects you can apply to entities via QC, but if you are asking from a mapping standpoint, I am not sure. I do remember you modified the original Quake maps a while back and put out a release with fixes. Are you still doing that project? Also I have a new project I wanna do to convert the ID maps to Q3 format, and just need to learn about shaders n stuff. If interested on collaborating lmk.

Comment

you are talking about RTlights?

if thats what you mean, nahuel and _smith_'s CSQC hud has a build-in tool to place RT-lights and adjust their settings in-game and instantly see your changes as you make them
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

@Cobalt - Thanks, but no, I'm not doing the z-fix thing. I didn't know how to map when I was working on that project, so the way I "fixed" the z-fighting was less than optimal... one should really go back and do it correctly. Why are you converting the original quake maps to q3map2?

@Talisa - Yes, I meant RTlights, my bad Thanks for the lead, I checked out those tools.

The command I was looking for was r_editlights, for anyone else that's looking.

Comment

KillPixel, There is a nice tutorial how to create and edit rtlights.
          Scroll through the complete thread to get important insights, tips and hints about rtlight creation and how to improve them.
          The tutorial was made for Nexuiz, but is identical for regular Quake. Both games use the same Darkplaces engine: [How-to] Use rtlights

Also the famous Romi made a tutorial several years ago when he did all the Quake map rtlights. Unfortunately it was posted at gamespy afaik and is no longer available now. Too bad I didnt make a backup back then.

There are also several people here who are experienced with rtlight creation. They did a lot of maps already: Pringles Man comes to my mind: QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection - View Profile: Pringles Man He is a regular in this forum. You might want to contact him to exchange experience.
          Last edited by Henry; 07-29-2015, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Mostly for my mod. I thought itd be neat to play plain quake on recompiled q1 maps that are converted to q3 style, mostly the benefit is improved collisions because of the q3 format and as a result you can do some interesting things now from a mod standpoint.

Originally posted by KillPixel View Post
            @Cobalt - Thanks, but no, Why are you converting the original quake maps to q3map2?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
              Mostly for my mod. I thought itd be neat to play plain quake on recompiled q1 maps that are converted to q3 style, mostly the benefit is improved collisions because of the q3 format and as a result you can do some interesting things now from a mod standpoint.

hmm this mod sound interesting!
              My Avatars!
              Quake Leagues
              Quake 1.5!!!
              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Thanks. I have not made progress on the map conversion, and the only guy who seemed to have a helpful comment was GB, who is now gone. So I saw KP here and remembered he was doing some fixes on all the ID maps way back and released a map pack with the problems all fixed, so I figured he was really into mapping still.

Might be a kool idea when the new site is launched here if there can maybe be a "rating" you set in your profile which Quake skillz you are proficient at like:

Select a score of 1-5 what Quake Skill you are good at

1) Mapping

2) Modeling

3) Sounds

4) Quake C

5) Engine programming

6) Texturing and Huds

7) Playing

This way if people leave we still can check out who has highest ratings in the
                specific Quake Skillz we may need help with.

Originally posted by Syluxguy28O3 View Post
                hmm this mod sound interesting!

Comment

@Henry - thanks for the link and the lead. the tut proved useful!

Comment

Be sure to keep us updated with your work KillPixel.

Comment

Working...
                    X