Darkplaces Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkplaces Beta

Has anyone tried the latest beta of DarkPlaces ? when I get home I try to test
    sigpic

There's a new beta out? The website shows the last release back in 2014, unless I'm missing something. I thought there were no more developments on DP...

Someone wanna fill me in?
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

I always found here:

https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/?C=M;O=D
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alfader View Post
        Thanks for the link! I wonder why LordHavoc doesn't update the homepage more often?

Comment

FYI: His website has said for years that's where the betas are always found. Over the years the DP fans just happen to look in there when we remember to because they're not really advertised. ^_^

Other files

Beta releases, old versions, and miscellaneous mods I made are in the files directory, this page only lists current versions of darkplaces and some utilities.
          You can also find a lot of old fun Quake stuff on idgames2 mirrors, there's a full one over at mancubus.net.
          As far as website updates go I'm sure he's busy enough with paying jobs.

Comment

I'd like to know if the newer versions have done anything to cure the noise that occurs in shadows using DP with the latest Nvidia drivers??

Anyone tried yet? Don't want to download unless...

Comment

Originally posted by Alfader View Post
              Has anyone tried the latest beta of DarkPlaces ? when I get home I try to test
              Hello Alfader,
              I tried and got slightly less performance so I skipped it.
              If you want to know what happened since last version, you have to read the changelog. Find it inside:
              darkplacesenginesource20160404beta1\darkplaces\Cha ngeLog
              There is always a changelog in DP builds.

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
              Thanks for the link! I wonder why LordHavoc doesn't update the homepage more often?
              Because there is not much to update.
              And it was always "LordHavoc and friends" rather than "LordHavoc".
              It is divverent who made most of the changes in newer builds.
              You can see this as well in the changelogs.

EDITED:

Hello gdiddy62,

No, the issue that you describe is still there. But I use NVIDIA driver 335.23 which do not suffer from it. I have a GTX770, so they are good/new enough for me.
              Be careful not to use normals for your view_weapons when using these driver. That is the only sacrifice you have to pay if you want to get rid of the shadow-flickering bug. A rather small price you have to pay...

Best wishes,
              Seven

EDITED:
              Last edited by Seven; 06-01-2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

It's been like this for what seems like a very long time because LH blames the drivers not DP so he will never fix it and that's a shame. Yes it's still an issue with latest DP releases.

So use a old driver and sacrifice any fixes, performance gains or improvements to the Nvidia drivers for everything else just for clean shadows in DP, live with the "dirty" shadows like I have or don't use shadows. YES all 3 options kind of suck, but that's the way it is.

It's not DP, but FTEQW has beautiful clean shadows with no garbage.

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
                I'd like to know if the newer versions have done anything to cure the noise that occurs in shadows using DP with the latest Nvidia drivers??

Anyone tried yet? Don't want to download unless...

Comment

What's the best-most-stable-newer version of DP?
                  Seven which version do you prefer?

I'm considering porting CAx to FTE/DP as if i convert the mod to work on one it should work on the other.
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

No, the issue that you describe is still there. But I use NVIDIA driver 335.23 which do not suffer from it. I have a GTX770, so they are good/new enough for me.
                    Be careful not to use normals for your view_weapons when using these driver. That is the only sacrifice you have to pay if you want to get rid of the shadow-flickering bug. A rather small price you have to pay...

Best wishes,
                    Seven
                    Well shoot! I was hoping. I now have a gtx 970 and the latest drivers for more modern games. I may have to figure a seperate boot disk to put old drivers on.

Thanks guys!!

Comment

I HAVE A 960 sux to be me
                      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I have noticed that FTE has a much cleaner look. It also runs incredibly smooth on my machine, even smoother than some of the simpler engines like quakespasm. I think it may just be my primary engine once I configure it to my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
                          Well shoot! I was hoping. I now have a gtx 970 and the latest drivers for more modern games. I may have to figure a seperate boot disk to put old drivers on.
                          Whoow, that one costs a lot of money...
                          Dont you have a lot of children and you still have enough money to buy a high end pc ?

Well, you are right. Sometimes a man must make decisions. Gaming first, children after.

But joking aside:
                          As I said, Darkplaces is not a LordHavoc-only engine. Without divverent and the Xonotic project (he is lead coder) it would not be where it is today...
                          And guess what: divverent is German just like me
                          So I dropped him a nice letter and asked for support on this issue.
                          Lets see if he is kind enough to investigate the bug.

Lets keep our fingers crossed !

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                          What's the best-most-stable-newer version of DP?
                          Seven which version do you prefer?

I'm considering porting CAx to FTE/DP as if i convert the mod to work on one it should work on the other.
                          Hello R00k,

From the experience that I made so far, may I suggest to try to stay as universal as possible. You will limit the interested users/players to one engine-fan-group. And that is not good. People tend to dislike using engines which they normally do not use just for one mod…

At one time during developing your mod you will face the question to use engine extensions or not. You can do wonderful things with advanced engines extensions as you know, so it is not easy to withstand. But once you turn into that path, you limit yourself and the candidate numbers of users...
                          Even though Spike did put a lot of effort the last years to be compatible with Darkplaces, it is still far from perfect. There are several areas of features/extensions that does not play well in both engines. They simply behave too differently in some areas. So you would have to decide for one camp.

Using standard code will not limit the users, but it will of course limit (or noticeably complicate) your code and features. So it is difficult to find a compromise...

As for your question about Darkplaces builds I would recommend:
                          In my opinion it is not a question which build is the fastest or "best", it is more the question about which build does the majority of users/players use. And that is without a doubt the one from 20140513. As it is the one that is directly linked on the DP homepage. I could not find negative issues with it. It is great. I personally prefer the 20140304beta due to small performance increase, but they are very comparable.
                          Any version before that one has limits that my small mod is unfortunately exceeding.

Anyhow, I wish you best of luck with your mod.

Kind regards,
                          Seven

Comment

Seven, if I understand correctly CAx currently uses qccx hacks in order to avoid the need for extra extensions, but these hacks also mean that it depends upon specific memory layouts in the client (yes, it really is that evil). Even just using a different C compiler (certainly 32bit vs 64bit) for the engine could change the offsets that those hacks need.
                            Porting it to FTE+DP (by using engine extensions instead of hacks) would open it up a bit, including to all the ezquake users.
                            Thanks to being able to query extensions it shouldn't be too hard to provide an abstraction for the various features, including retaining proquake support, but yeah that's about 3 times as much work. On the other hand, as its a multiplayer-only mod(iiuc), then it only really needs to work on a single server anyway so long as the networking is compatible.

Seven, if there are any particular things you'd like me to look into, let me know (new topic or private message or something).
                            Some Game Thing

Comment

But joking aside:
                              As I said, Darkplaces is not a LordHavoc-only engine. Without divverent and the Xonotic project (he is lead coder) it would not be where it is today...
                              And guess what: divverent is German just like me
                              So I dropped him a nice letter and asked for support on this issue.
                              Lets see if he is kind enough to investigate the bug.

Lets keep our fingers crossed !
                              Fingers are crossed!!!!

Thanks Seven!

Comment

Working...
                              X